Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 12-11-2013, 10:02 AM   #11
SeventySeven
SeventySeven
Pursuing progression with aggression
Max Brawn
Points: 5,586, Level: 48 Points: 5,586, Level: 48 Points: 5,586, Level: 48
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Tournaments Won: 1

Training Exp: 1 year+
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Xtend
My Mood: Twisted
SeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machine

I would personally look to use chains or reverse bands.

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2013, 11:11 AM   #12
MadScientistOfMaB
MadScientistOfMaB
is training for strongman
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,663, Level: 23 Points: 1,663, Level: 23 Points: 1,663, Level: 23
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Chaos & Pain
Fav Exercise: Squat, push-press
Fav Supp: Mr. Hyde & whiskey
My Mood: Aggressive
MadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributorMadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributorMadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributorMadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributorMadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributorMadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributorMadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributorMadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributorMadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributorMadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributorMadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributor

Thx soldier. I am doing partials 2x/week and fulls 1x/week. Also ending my partial sessions with lighter weight pause squats.

Also, I have no chains or bands. The crossfit area in the gym does but they lock there shit up when they aren't using it. (That's why I don't feel bad about telling their trainer to "get the hell out of my squat rack")
Experimentation is the word of the day here, and you're going to be like a mad scientist, tinkering with your diet until you've turned yourself into a massive, world-destroying robot bent on nothing short of the subjugation and destruction of the entire human race.
-Jamie Lewis (Chaos&Pain)

Nothing exceeds like excess.

HT: 5'10" WT: 220
Deadlift 455 Squat 405
Bench 355 Push-press 275
MadScientistOfMaB is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-11-2013, 11:21 AM   #13
MadScientistOfMaB
MadScientistOfMaB
Uber Brawn

MadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributorMadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributorMadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributorMadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributorMadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributorMadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributorMadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributorMadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributorMadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributorMadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributorMadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributor

Tracking this on my training log Mad Smolov FML
Experimentation is the word of the day here, and you're going to be like a mad scientist, tinkering with your diet until you've turned yourself into a massive, world-destroying robot bent on nothing short of the subjugation and destruction of the entire human race.

Deadlift 455 Squat 405
Bench 355 Push-press 275

Share with Facebook
Old 12-11-2013, 11:25 AM   #14
TDawg75
TDawg75
All Pro Fatback
Team Koolaid Man
Max Brawn
Points: 3,495, Level: 36 Points: 3,495, Level: 36 Points: 3,495, Level: 36

Training Exp: since 5/15/13
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: buffet plate carry
Fav Supp: Protein Powder
My Mood: Mellow
TDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
When I decided to do this style of training I told myself that I'd work so hard and push myself so hard that no one could question whether I was getting anything out of it or not.

I've never seen anyone in the gyms where I work push themselves so hard that they ended up on the ground trying to catch their breath. Sad. I've done it multiple times in sessions before, and 1/4 squats put me there like nothing else. It's quite an experience.

OH, and don't forget that these are pin squats. That makes all the difference. Not having to stop the weight yourself takes some of the stress off the knees.
Oh, ok. I didn't know they were pinned. I just assumed they were run-of-the-mill 1/4 or 1/2 squats. I bet that it is still hard to get the weight started back up from a dead stop on the pins, though. Have you noticed any more pain in your knees with these?

Gym pr's- bench 330, DL 405, squat 450
Meet pr's- bench 350, dl 425, squat tbd
My new training log- http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17510
TDawg75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-11-2013, 11:36 AM   #15
Soldier
Soldier
is judging you.
Max Brawn
Points: 14,521, Level: 78 Points: 14,521, Level: 78 Points: 14,521, Level: 78
Activity: 55% Activity: 55% Activity: 55%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Inspired
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDawg75 View Post
Oh, ok. I didn't know they were pinned. I just assumed they were run-of-the-mill 1/4 or 1/2 squats. I bet that it is still hard to get the weight started back up from a dead stop on the pins, though. Have you noticed any more pain in your knees with these?
Not any aches, but I did feel a bit of a tinge that would creep up if I moved my right knee in a certain way. At first I did the squats from the pins, but I wanted to work my walkout too, so I started walking them out. I soon realized that I could lift more if I stayed tight and hit the pins hard, as opposed to actually stopping and losing a little tightness between reps. An argument could be made for both styles, and I also enjoy dead stop pin squats as well.

Share with Facebook
Old 12-11-2013, 03:42 PM   #16
MadScientistOfMaB
MadScientistOfMaB
Uber Brawn

will have to give that a try this friday (the pins) I was just doing it with a visual cue for depth

Deadlift 455 Squat 405
Bench 355 Push-press 275

Share with Facebook
Old 12-11-2013, 04:16 PM   #17
Soldier
Soldier
is judging you.
Max Brawn
Points: 14,521, Level: 78 Points: 14,521, Level: 78 Points: 14,521, Level: 78
Activity: 55% Activity: 55% Activity: 55%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Inspired
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

If you don't want to actually hit the pins then I'd suggest bringing a couple pillows or rolled up towels and placing them on pins that are set just below where you want to go. That way you at least have a depth gauge that you should be able to feel or at least see if you have a mirror in front of you. Watch those knees! Do lots of prehab/mobility work. Remember, knees generally don't like stopping higher than parallel, AND you'll be using more weight than you're used to. Some may get away with it, but I'm getting too old to be taking chances like that, so I let the pins do the stopping for me.

...and for the record, Paul Anderson used pins for this training too. But I'm not a stickler for rules, as long as people know about the risks involved.

Last edited by Soldier; 12-11-2013 at 04:18 PM.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 12-11-2013, 04:25 PM   #18
MadScientistOfMaB
MadScientistOfMaB
Uber Brawn

Will do. Thanks for all your advice on the subject. How long do you normally stay with a given height before lowering?

Deadlift 455 Squat 405
Bench 355 Push-press 275

Share with Facebook