Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 12-08-2013, 03:20 PM   #1
LindenGarcia18
LindenGarcia18
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 6,363, Level: 52 Points: 6,363, Level: 52 Points: 6,363, Level: 52
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Dips
My Mood: Happy
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting machineLindenGarcia18 is a lifting machineLindenGarcia18 is a lifting machineLindenGarcia18 is a lifting machineLindenGarcia18 is a lifting machineLindenGarcia18 is a lifting machineLindenGarcia18 is a lifting machineLindenGarcia18 is a lifting machineLindenGarcia18 is a lifting machineLindenGarcia18 is a lifting machineLindenGarcia18 is a lifting machine
Default Need some pointers, Starting Training back up.

So for those that don't know I took a weeks break from my training, I think, and now I'm ready to get back on it. I just need a few pointers.

Its a diet issue.

One of the reasons I took the break was to

I'm not sure how much to eat anymore.

Its absolutely impossible to judge it.

For example btb told me to aim for 2 pounds a month now.

The problem is I never know weather I've gained that 2 pounds, and recent measurements suggest I've put on less than I should have.

The reason for this is food is pretty much always in my system, which can easily put 1, 2, 3 maybe 4 pounds onto my weight.

The measurements allow me to judge weather I should be eating more, or less food, based on weather I've gained more than 2 pounds a month, or less.

But I never know and that's the problem.

Here I am thinking I'm on track, that I gained my 2 pounds that month, when in reality Iv'e gained less and need to eat more.
Or perhaps the the food in my system made it look like I put on more weight than I shouldv'e done, and in that case I need to dial it back on the calories.

Basically I don't want to be over eating or under eating. I just want to be eating enough to gain 2 pounds a month like Steve told me to do.

And the only way to judge that is by weighing myself, which can be off set by a king shot

How do I go about combating this?

Cheers guys

-Linden
LindenGarcia18 is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2013, 03:27 PM   #2
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Two points stand out from what you've asked and the information you gave:

1) You don't weigh yourself, therefore you don't have a scale: if you had a scale you would know how much you have gained.

2) You feel there should no food in your system at all to check your weight: everyone, without exception has food in their system when they weigh-in, weekly.

It really isn't complicated but it can become complicated...just weigh yourself weekly, whatever the scale says, is your new weight, that's all there is to it.

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 12-08-2013, 03:31 PM   #3
LindenGarcia18
LindenGarcia18
has no status.
Max Brawn

LindenGarcia18 is a lifting machineLindenGarcia18 is a lifting machineLindenGarcia18 is a lifting machineLindenGarcia18 is a lifting machineLindenGarcia18 is a lifting machineLindenGarcia18 is a lifting machineLindenGarcia18 is a lifting machineLindenGarcia18 is a lifting machineLindenGarcia18 is a lifting machineLindenGarcia18 is a lifting machineLindenGarcia18 is a lifting machine

Quote:
1) You don't weigh yourself, therefore you don't have a scale: if you had a scale you would know how much you have gained.
I weight myself with a scale every week in the morning.

Quote:
2) You feel there should no food in your system at all to check your weight: everyone, without exception has food in their system when they weigh-in, weekly.
That's a very good point, I didn't think of that.

Quote:
It really isn't complicated but it can become complicated...just weigh yourself weekly, whatever the scale says, is your new weight, that's all there is to it.

Simple. Can't believe I didn't realize those things.

Cheers Babs.

- Linden

Share with Facebook
Old 12-08-2013, 03:53 PM   #4
Kleurplaay
Kleurplaay
is growing stronger!
Uber Brawn
Points: 2,043, Level: 27 Points: 2,043, Level: 27 Points: 2,043, Level: 27
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: dat dere eggs
My Mood: Cheeky
Kleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributor

uncertainty of individual weighins does not matter at all, the change over time of your average weight is what matters.

You could be weighing on 3 consecutive days:

Assuming the uncertainty doesn't change too much (which basically means your diet doesn't change too much) your measurements would still be as follows if you are 2 kg heavier weighing yourself 3 consecutive days:

Or if you know a thing or two about statistics. Standard deviation decreases by the root of the number of measurements. If the standard deviation of your weighins is say 2lbs. The average result of 4 weighins would be 1lbs etc etc. This again tells you that individual fluctuations do not matter as long as your AVERAGE bodyweight increases.
Kleurplaay is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 12-09-2013, 07:17 PM   #5
LindenGarcia18
LindenGarcia18
has no status.
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleurplaay View Post
uncertainty of individual weighins does not matter at all, the change over time of your average weight is what matters.

You could be weighing on 3 consecutive days:

Assuming the uncertainty doesn't change too much (which basically means your diet doesn't change too much) your measurements would still be as follows if you are 2 kg heavier weighing yourself 3 consecutive days:

Or if you know a thing or two about statistics. Standard deviation decreases by the root of the number of measurements. If the standard deviation of your weighins is say 2lbs. The average result of 4 weighins would be 1lbs etc etc. This again tells you that individual fluctuations do not matter as long as your AVERAGE bodyweight increases.

Ahh I see, that makes sense, surprised I never thought of it this way, it makes things so much easier.

Thanks allot man.

Share with Facebook