Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 11-29-2013, 01:25 PM   #1
LindenGarcia18
LindenGarcia18
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 7,953, Level: 60 Points: 7,953, Level: 60 Points: 7,953, Level: 60
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
My Mood: Happy
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast
Default Simple Carbs?

So today I found these snack bars.
At first glance they looked ok so I bought 3, and had them throughout the day as a one off.

They had fruit, nuts, the type of stuff you find in those sort of things.
They claimed to have nothing dodgy in them, didn't want to take a chance on something that might flair my acne up.

When I had a look at the ingredients there was crisped rice in there that made up the foundation.
This would obviously be white rice, and a simple carb.

Iv'e never eaten simple carbs since I've been on this diet, however I've never really known why, from a weight lifting perspective that is (simple carbs as you'll know turn to sugar, and could make acne flair up so I always avoided it).

I'm just wondering what it is that makes complex carbs like brown rice, whole wheat pasta, whole wheat bread, and sweet potato,
better than simple carbs like white pasta, white rice, etc;

I already mentioned the sugar thing, But I'm pretty fuzzy on the subject other than that.

I could go online and look it up, but really that never gets me anywhere and I end up misinformed.
The only people Iv'e come to trust is you guys.

So whats the deal with this?

Are simple carbs really that bad for weight lifters? Is it a misconception?
Is it a bad macro nutrient for lifter?

Cheers

- Linden
LindenGarcia18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2013, 01:38 PM   #2
big_swede
big_swede
Strongman
Max Brawn
Points: 33,805, Level: 100 Points: 33,805, Level: 100 Points: 33,805, Level: 100
Activity: 39% Activity: 39% Activity: 39%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
My Mood: Yeehaw
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

No its awesome for gaining size and strength.

The difference is the absorption rate and the effect it has on blood sugar level. Complex carbs are absorbed slower and makes your blood sugar more stable over time. Sugars peak your blood sugar fast and can also cause a rapid drop, leeding to the desire to eat more sweets.

Also by peaking your blood sugar you release insulin to take care of amino acids and blood glucose, insulin is the most anabolic hormone in the body and its also what makes you fat if you combine fast carbs with fats in your diet.

This was just my broscience 0.2cent =)

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 11-29-2013, 02:14 PM   #3
LindenGarcia18
LindenGarcia18
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 7,953, Level: 60 Points: 7,953, Level: 60 Points: 7,953, Level: 60
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
My Mood: Happy
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

Quote:
No its awesome for gaining size and strength.

The difference is the absorption rate and the effect it has on blood sugar level. Complex carbs are absorbed slower and makes your blood sugar more stable over time. Sugars peak your blood sugar fast and can also cause a rapid drop, leading to the desire to eat more sweets.
Ahh yes, actually I remember learning about this now, its coming back to me.
Simple carbs if I remember correctly are already partially broken down, hence why their easier to digest.

Quote:
Also by peaking your blood sugar you release insulin to take care of amino acids and blood glucose, insulin is the most anabolic hormone in the body and its also what makes you fat if you combine fast carbs with fats in your diet.
I see, so would those bars now have caused me to gain more fat?
I mean I of course have good fats in my diet.
I assume I wont have just gained a load of fat now

Quote:
This was just my broscience 0.2cent =)
Yeah thanks allot man, very informative.
LindenGarcia18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-29-2013, 02:21 PM   #4
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,518,123, Level: 100 Points: 1,518,123, Level: 100 Points: 1,518,123, Level: 100
Activity: 60% Activity: 60% Activity: 60%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I ate a lot of simple carbs in my teens and early 20s while gaining. Over the years I've also consumed them post-workout.

Eating some simple carbs is fine. I use the 80/20 rule for younger guys...eat 80% good food choices, 20% whatever you want to get your calories in.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-29-2013, 03:31 PM   #5
BigJosh
BigJosh
"the Grinder"
Max Brawn
Points: 11,138, Level: 69 Points: 11,138, Level: 69 Points: 11,138, Level: 69
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Monster Memory Champion! Solitaire Golf SLingo Champion! Wheel Of Fortune Champion! Portal Champion! SpongeBob's Pizza Toss Champion! Bumper Cards Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! NBA Spirit Champion! Torino 2006 Curling Champion! Ultimate Football Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
My Mood: Cool
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

You mentioned that the bars had fruit. Fruit also contains simple carbs (sugar). Just in case you didn't realize that.

I have a broscience theory that weightlifters are able to process/handle/use simple carbs more efficiently than the average population. That's why it's less common to hear about diabetic issues among the "weightlifter population".

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-29-2013, 04:06 PM   #6
big_swede
big_swede
Strongman
Max Brawn
Points: 33,805, Level: 100 Points: 33,805, Level: 100 Points: 33,805, Level: 100
Activity: 39% Activity: 39% Activity: 39%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
My Mood: Yeehaw
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Linden, if you have an occasional bar or four you wont get fat. What will make you fat is overeating wholefoods combined with lots of sweets and saturated fats. Its very, very hard for a teen with your build to get fat or to store the small amount of fat thats in a bar as fat. These things take time. Dont sweat the small stuff.

Share with Facebook