Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 11-26-2013, 12:20 PM   #1
Henry19
Henry19
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 3,252, Level: 35 Points: 3,252, Level: 35 Points: 3,252, Level: 35
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift/Squat
Fav Supp: Skittles
My Mood: Cheerful
Henry19 is a lifting beastHenry19 is a lifting beastHenry19 is a lifting beastHenry19 is a lifting beastHenry19 is a lifting beastHenry19 is a lifting beastHenry19 is a lifting beastHenry19 is a lifting beastHenry19 is a lifting beastHenry19 is a lifting beastHenry19 is a lifting beast
Default Most reputable personal trainer cert?

If there're any certified personal trainers out there, it'd be great to hear from you on this topic...

In order to advance my career, I am considering getting certified to be a personal trainer. Does anyone have an opinion on what certifications are the most reputable?

As for criterion, the only thing is really that it needs to be some type of online class.

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2013, 05:56 PM   #2
Henry19
Henry19
has no status.
Max Brawn

Henry19 is a lifting beastHenry19 is a lifting beastHenry19 is a lifting beastHenry19 is a lifting beastHenry19 is a lifting beastHenry19 is a lifting beastHenry19 is a lifting beastHenry19 is a lifting beastHenry19 is a lifting beastHenry19 is a lifting beastHenry19 is a lifting beast

Bump...would love to hear from people!

Share with Facebook
Old 11-26-2013, 06:14 PM   #3
djjdnap
djjdnap
has no status.
lil hulk
Brawn
Points: 533, Level: 10 Points: 533, Level: 10 Points: 533, Level: 10
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: squat and dead
Fav Supp: Meat
My Mood: Bitchy
djjdnap has made some good postsdjjdnap has made some good postsdjjdnap has made some good postsdjjdnap has made some good postsdjjdnap has made some good postsdjjdnap has made some good postsdjjdnap has made some good postsdjjdnap has made some good postsdjjdnap has made some good postsdjjdnap has made some good postsdjjdnap has made some good posts

NSCA seems to be pretty good for ppl with a degree already i believe

http://www.starting-a-personal-train...scussions.html

Quote:
You don't need the CSCS to work as a PT in a gym. Most of the high-end gyms require PT certs from either the ACSM, NSCA, or NASM.

The CSCS prepares you to train athletes and is required by most Division 1 colleges
Then theres the NFPT that you can take through LAfitness or globalfitedu.com thats like a weekend class that cost about 700$

Share with Facebook
Old 11-26-2013, 07:38 PM   #4
jdmalm123
jdmalm123
one rep is plenty!
Less is More
Max Brawn
Points: 12,867, Level: 74 Points: 12,867, Level: 74 Points: 12,867, Level: 74
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Yeti Sports 1 Long Ass Shot Champion!
Training Exp: not enough
Fav Exercise: All of 'em
Fav Supp: Milk shake
My Mood: Yeehaw
jdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite member

NSCA has the NSCA-CPT for non degree holders.

I had AFAA, which was okay. Other decent, widely accepted ones are NASM, ACSM, ISSA, ACE, and NCSE.

If you'll work in a gym then find out what they want or if they do their own certs. If you are independent, then pick one that lines up with your experience, philosophy and clients.

Note, a huge percentage of the the personal training market is 30-55 year old sedentary women with disposable income. training for them has to be tailored for their background, abilities and goals... it's hard to make housewives into powerlifters (but it can be done! )

If you go solo, set up an LLC and be sure to get liability insurance that includes molestation, etc coverage. Invest in some equipment that is not "scary" i.e. bands, pink dumbbells, etc, then "graduate" your clients to real iron.

You will most likely file a Schedule C with your income taxes. You will be able to deduct things like equipment, gym clothes, cell phone, etc.

I have copies of intake forms and disclaimers that I used for clients. If you want copies, send me a PM with your email address.
"If you're not taking any risks, don't expect any rewards."
jdmalm123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-26-2013, 09:43 PM   #5
Henry19
Henry19
has no status.
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjdnap View Post
NSCA seems to be pretty good for ppl with a degree already i believe

http://www.starting-a-personal-train...scussions.html

Then theres the NFPT that you can take through LAfitness or globalfitedu.com thats like a weekend class that cost about 700$
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmalm123 View Post
NSCA has the NSCA-CPT for non degree holders.

I had AFAA, which was okay. Other decent, widely accepted ones are NASM, ACSM, ISSA, ACE, and NCSE.

If you'll work in a gym then find out what they want or if they do their own certs. If you are independent, then pick one that lines up with your experience, philosophy and clients.

Note, a huge percentage of the the personal training market is 30-55 year old sedentary women with disposable income. training for them has to be tailored for their background, abilities and goals... it's hard to make housewives into powerlifters (but it can be done! )

If you go solo, set up an LLC and be sure to get liability insurance that includes molestation, etc coverage. Invest in some equipment that is not "scary" i.e. bands, pink dumbbells, etc, then "graduate" your clients to real iron.

You will most likely file a Schedule C with your income taxes. You will be able to deduct things like equipment, gym clothes, cell phone, etc.

I have copies of intake forms and disclaimers that I used for clients. If you want copies, send me a PM with your email address.
I really appreciate all of your insight guys! I'm not majoring in kinesiology, so I think I might go with the NSCA-CPT for non-degree holders. I'm also considering doing ACE because that is what personal trainers do at my school.

Share with Facebook
Old 11-27-2013, 09:52 AM   #6
jdmalm123
jdmalm123
one rep is plenty!
Less is More
Max Brawn
Points: 12,867, Level: 74 Points: 12,867, Level: 74 Points: 12,867, Level: 74
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Yeti Sports 1 Long Ass Shot Champion!
Training Exp: not enough
Fav Exercise: All of 'em
Fav Supp: Milk shake
My Mood: Yeehaw
jdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry19 View Post
I really appreciate all of your insight guys! I'm not majoring in kinesiology, so I think I might go with the NSCA-CPT for non-degree holders. I'm also considering doing ACE because that is what personal trainers do at my school.
If I go back into PT, then NSCA-CPT would be my choice.

You can also eventually get both.

All the better certs require updating your credits/continuing education every year or every other year usually. The classes that are good for credits are often accepted by most of the major certs. so, classes that continue your NSCA cert would also continue an ACE cert.

All those expenses would be tax deductable!
"If you're not taking any risks, don't expect any rewards."
jdmalm123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook