Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 11-23-2013, 11:28 AM   #1
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,360,084, Level: 100 Points: 1,360,084, Level: 100 Points: 1,360,084, Level: 100
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Johns Hopkins Scientist Slams Flu Vaccine

http://www.healthsprout.com/johns-ho...s-flu-vaccine/

Quote:
A Johns Hopkins scientist has issued a blistering report on influenza vaccines in the British Medical Journal (BMJ). Peter Doshi, Ph.D., charges that although the vaccines are being pushed on the public in unprecedented numbers, they are less effective and cause more side effects than alleged by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

Further, says Doshi, the studies that underlie the CDC’s policy of encouraging most people to get a yearly flu shot are often low quality studies that do not substantiate the official claims.
Quote:
“The vaccine may be less beneficial and less safe than has been claimed, and the threat of influenza seems to be overstated,” Doshi says. Mandatory vaccination polices have been enacted, often in healthcare facilities, forcing some people to take the vaccine under threat of losing their jobs.
Quote:
Even when the vaccine is closely matched to the type of influenza that’s prevalent, which doesn’t happen every year, randomized, controlled trials of healthy adults found that vaccinating between 33 and 100 people resulted in one less case of influenza. In addition, says Doshi, no evidence exists to show that this reduction in the risk of influenza for a specific population — here in the United States, among healthy adults, for example — extrapolates into any reduced risk of serious complications from influenza, such as hospitalizations or deaths, among seniors.
Quote:
Not only is the vaccine not safe, Dr. Blaylock tells Newsmax Health, it doesn’t even work. “The vaccine is completely worthless, and the government knows it,” he says. “There are three reasons the government tells the elderly why they should get flu shots: secondary pneumonia, hospitalization, and death. Yet a study by the Cochrane group studied hundreds of thousands of people and found it offered zero protection for those three things in the general community. It offered people in nursing homes some immunity against the flu — at best one-third — but that was only if they picked the right vaccine.”

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2013, 11:40 AM   #2
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

I'm not sure I've ever had a flu shot, at least not since I 14y/o (can't recall prior to that age what shots I had) and I don't think they're given prior to that age anyway (??), but have no intentions of ever having one.

Share with Facebook
Old 11-23-2013, 12:51 PM   #3
I WILL
I WILL
says"will there be snacks?"
Max Brawn
Points: 5,091, Level: 45 Points: 5,091, Level: 45 Points: 5,091, Level: 45
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 2-4 years 2 serious
Fav Exercise: Romanian Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
My Mood: Inspired
I WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Very much agreed. Not shocking at all.

MAB Sponsored Athlete

My Website: Nutrition Beast
I WILL is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-23-2013, 01:12 PM   #4
Tannhauser
Tannhauser
reads long boring books
Max Brawn
Points: 128,867, Level: 100 Points: 128,867, Level: 100 Points: 128,867, Level: 100
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

For a long and informative article on the efficacy of the flu vaccine, see here: http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/...-cuckoos-nest/

There's a long dissection of one of the Cochrane reviews in the same post.

Some quotes:

Quote:

The one consistent question I get about the flu vaccine is “Does it work?”

Do not ask me that question if you don’t have at least 10 minutes to kill, because the answer is not yes or no.
Quote:
Does the tetanus vaccine work? Yep. Everyone who gets the vaccine is protected from tetanus. Doe the influenza vaccine work? It depends on who is vaccinated, which vaccine, what the circulating strains are and how well the vaccine matches and what your end point for defining ‘works’ is. Influenza is complex.
Quote:
In part I do infection control for a living and we are successful when nothing happens, but people do not notice when nothing occurs, and I have to point out the benefits of events not happening. Potential benefits of flu vaccination include:
  • I don’t influenza.
  • I don’t get influenza and therefore don’t give it my Grandmother.
  • I don’t get the flu and do not pass it on to my hospitalized patient, who tend to die from nosocomial influenza.
  • I get influenza, but it is milder and I miss less work.
  • I get influenza and because it is milder and less infectious I don’t give it to my Grandmother.
  • Because my Grandmother doesn’t get influenza she does not have an exacerbation of her heart failure, diabetes, COPD etc.
  • My grandmother doesn’t get the flu and as a result doesn’t have a secondary myocardial infarction or bacterial pneumonia and is not hospitalized and doesn’t die as a result.
  • My pregnant wife doesn’t get the flu (from me or due to vaccination) and as such does not have miscarriage or is not admitted to the hospital with ARDS from influenza.
  • My obese Uncle doesn’t get the flu (from me or due to vaccination) and is not admitted with ARDS from influenza.

I have discussed flu vaccination multiple times in the blog. The question is not IF influenza vaccination works. It does. It is the magnitude of the effect and in what populations it is effective that is the question. The preponderance of information suggests the for most of the endpoints above, the influenza vaccine has beneficial effects. It’s not a great vaccine but better than nothing.

Then there is the political issue as to whether the bang is worth the buck, whether the benefits of pushing flu vaccines are worth the time and resources. That is a calculus that though I am not capable of independently deriving, my sense of the answer is yes, and those with more expertise in these areas than I say influenza vaccination is cost effective.

"The proper study of mankind is books" - Aldous Huxley
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-23-2013, 04:41 PM   #5
Henry19
Henry19
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 2,600, Level: 30 Points: 2,600, Level: 30 Points: 2,600, Level: 30
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift/Squat
Fav Supp: Skittles
My Mood: Cheerful
Henry19 is a lifting beastHenry19 is a lifting beastHenry19 is a lifting beastHenry19 is a lifting beastHenry19 is a lifting beastHenry19 is a lifting beastHenry19 is a lifting beastHenry19 is a lifting beastHenry19 is a lifting beastHenry19 is a lifting beastHenry19 is a lifting beast

I get the flu vaccine and haven't gotten the flu since. I can't afford to fall behind in my studies.

Share with Facebook
Old 11-23-2013, 08:28 PM   #6
Hywelbane
Hywelbane
Brb lifting
Uber Brawn
Points: 2,075, Level: 27 Points: 2,075, Level: 27 Points: 2,075, Level: 27
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 8
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Jekyll/Hyde
My Mood: Yeehaw
Hywelbane is a dedicated contributorHywelbane is a dedicated contributorHywelbane is a dedicated contributorHywelbane is a dedicated contributorHywelbane is a dedicated contributorHywelbane is a dedicated contributorHywelbane is a dedicated contributorHywelbane is a dedicated contributorHywelbane is a dedicated contributorHywelbane is a dedicated contributorHywelbane is a dedicated contributor

Have never gotten a flu shot (that I know of or remember) and have never had the flu. I always noticed everyone in school would be so happy they got theirs, and then they would get the flu. A good reason for me to have been skeptical about it.

Hywelbane is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-23-2013, 08:46 PM   #7
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,360,084, Level: 100 Points: 1,360,084, Level: 100 Points: 1,360,084, Level: 100
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry19 View Post
I get the flu vaccine and haven't gotten the flu since.
Influenza isn't like a stomach flu.

I had it once and it lasted 5 weeks. Thought it was never going to end.

I had a 4 week sore throat, double ear infection, sinus infection, prolonged coughing, fever. It's like he worst cold ever, that never goes away.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 11-23-2013 at 08:50 PM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-23-2013, 09:07 PM   #8
TDawg75
TDawg75
is trying to build his shoobs!
Team Koolaid Man
Max Brawn
Points: 2,126, Level: 27 Points: 2,126, Level: 27 Points: 2,126, Level: 27
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: <1 year
Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Protein Powder
My Mood: Mellow
TDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machine

My doctor makes me get a flu shot every year because of my asthma. Usually have no problems, but I think this time they skipped the vaccine and just gave me the flu itself. Been sick ever since I got mine this time.

#1-compete in a pl meet
#2-get a 3/4/5 in the gym, then at a meet
#3-get a 4/5/6 in the gym, then at a meet
#4-set/break at least one state record
TDawg75 is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-23-2013, 11:17 PM   #9
Bronco
Bronco
is cool
Cool Guy
Brawn
Points: 1,294, Level: 19 Points: 1,294, Level: 19 Points: 1,294, Level: 19
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry19 View Post
I get the flu vaccine and haven't gotten the flu since. I can't afford to fall behind in my studies.
and i've never had a flu shot and have never had the flu.
so there you go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Influenza isn't like a stomach flu.

I had it once and it lasted 5 weeks. Thought it was never going to end.

I had a 4 week sore throat, double ear infection, sinus infection, prolonged coughing, fever. It's like he worst cold ever, that never goes away.
yeah, what people call "stomach flu" is usually some kind of bacteria or something completely different than influenza. people just call it the flu whenever they get sick. it's not.
Bronco is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook