Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 11-16-2013, 11:30 PM   #1
AdamNC
AdamNC
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 1,194, Level: 18 Points: 1,194, Level: 18 Points: 1,194, Level: 18
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: On and off since H/S
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
My Mood: Happy
AdamNC is a consistent contributorAdamNC is a consistent contributorAdamNC is a consistent contributorAdamNC is a consistent contributorAdamNC is a consistent contributorAdamNC is a consistent contributorAdamNC is a consistent contributorAdamNC is a consistent contributorAdamNC is a consistent contributorAdamNC is a consistent contributorAdamNC is a consistent contributor
Default Skinny and Confused: Need Help

So here's the deal, Im 29, 5'7 125lbs, so obviously I need to gain some weight. I'm trying to make a real concerted effort to get my diet and training in line, along with consistency, so I calculated my BMR and Activity Level by the Harris-Benedict Formula. I came away with a BMR of 1498 calories. Adding the activity component resulted in a overall total of 2322 calories for maintenance. I added 500 calories to that for a total of 2822 calories. This seems relatively doable even with my small appetite.

My main question is, how should I partition the ratio of macros? I've never tried being this specific before. Anytime I've ever tried to eat more than normal I only seem to gain weight around my midsection and no where else, then I panic and stop. Y'all please don't think I'm one of those skinny guys who gained some weight and got scared cause I couldn't see my abs. I've always had a little pot belly, but now is pronounced enough to be seen through a shirt, especially in contrast to my chest that's as flat as Kansas. I eat pretty clean normally. (I bake everyting, eat alot of brown rice, potatos and vegis) Am I overreacting about the stomach? I don't know where to go from here. Any help would be appreciated.
AdamNC is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2013, 11:37 PM   #2
Soldier
Soldier
gets crabby on low carb days.
Max Brawn
Points: 11,771, Level: 71 Points: 11,771, Level: 71 Points: 11,771, Level: 71
Activity: 45% Activity: 45% Activity: 45%

Training Exp: On and off for 15 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Doubtful
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

First off, you've come to the right place.

Unfortunately, you seem to be missing half of the picture. training! If someone like you eats 3k cals a day and doesn't have your training on point then you'll just get fat. So what does your training look like? What's the plan?
Deadlift- 515
Total- 1295

Last edited by Soldier; 11-16-2013 at 11:41 PM.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-16-2013, 11:51 PM   #3
jiorio95
jiorio95
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 4,224, Level: 41 Points: 4,224, Level: 41 Points: 4,224, Level: 41
Activity: 37% Activity: 37% Activity: 37%

Fav Exercise: Squat
My Mood: Mellow
jiorio95 is a lifting beastjiorio95 is a lifting beastjiorio95 is a lifting beastjiorio95 is a lifting beastjiorio95 is a lifting beastjiorio95 is a lifting beastjiorio95 is a lifting beastjiorio95 is a lifting beastjiorio95 is a lifting beastjiorio95 is a lifting beastjiorio95 is a lifting beast

Hey, Adam. Happy you posted this because I know where you are coming from. About 2 years ago I was 5'7" 135lbs. I tried in the past to try and work out and I always followed some crazy dieting plan with a crazy workout and I just never succeeded. Right now I weigh around 183lbs. Quite frankly, I never succeeded until I stopped thinking about it so much.

Nutrition: Eat whatever you want and just make sure you are getting enough protein (1g/lbs of BW is a rough goal). Don't be scared of fats or carbs, just eat. I really mean that. Hit 3k cals, get your protein and eat like crazy. This will be the biggest source for change for you. If you need ideas to prep meals for on the go, or late night snack, high calories anything, there is so much info on the net about it. Make an effort to eat though!

Workout: I'm sorry I don't know what you do right now, but something with lot of barbell work would be my recommendation. Starting Strength, anything like that. This helped me build muscle everywhere on my body.

Mindset: I had the same feeling that whenever I gained weight it was in my midsection. It's all in your head, it was in mine as well. If you are lifting more in the gym, and eating right, you will grow. Believe in it. Before you know it people will notice the changes.

I don't want to try to oversimplify things, but for me that is what worked for me. I did the above and put my mind elsewhere, because I know I tend to over think and change things.

Get after it man, believe in it and give yourself a year and you will pick up a ton of gains.
jiorio95 is online now   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 11-17-2013, 12:00 AM   #4
MikeM
MikeM
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 12,473, Level: 73 Points: 12,473, Level: 73 Points: 12,473, Level: 73
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
My Mood: Cheeky
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

That's a lotta calculations. Maybe less calculations and more pumping iron and eating should be in order.

Just kidding, sort of. You want to gain weight and gain strength unless I miss my guess.

Well, you have to eat more to get stronger and to gain weight. If something is stopping you from eating more, then figure out what it is and work your way around it.

If you can't eat more, then accept that your recomposition will take some time to occur. You can still get stronger and put on some lean mass, but it will take more time.

Have a goal and a target date. For me, it's 1200 total at 198 by 50 years old. A bit over a year from now. For you it might be squat 300 at 165 lbs a year from now, or whatever. All you have to do is hit that goal. Plot a course and stick to it.

For some of us, that means lifting and eating smart to lose our fat asses. For guys like you it means lifting and eating more to gain a fat ass, so to speak.

It's all the same coin. You're just on the other side. I think it's easy to eat, hard to lift. For you, eating might be the hard part. So be it.

If you want it, go and get it. And add some sprinkles on top to boot!

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)
Best gym lifts: Sq 375, Bench 280 (pause), DL 385 @205 or less
Goals: 3/4/5
Goals beyond my wildest dreams, 600 Kg raw total, 200/160/240

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-17-2013, 12:46 AM   #5
AdamNC
AdamNC
has no status.
Brawn

AdamNC is a consistent contributorAdamNC is a consistent contributorAdamNC is a consistent contributorAdamNC is a consistent contributorAdamNC is a consistent contributorAdamNC is a consistent contributorAdamNC is a consistent contributorAdamNC is a consistent contributorAdamNC is a consistent contributorAdamNC is a consistent contributorAdamNC is a consistent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
First off, you've come to the right place.

Unfortunately, you seem to be missing half of the picture. training! If someone like you eats 3k cals a day and doesn't have your training on point then you'll just get fat. So what does your training look like? What's the plan?
I've been doing the MAB Full Body Workout with a few modifications.
Monday: Squat, Close Grip Bench, Dumbell Rows, Barbell Curls, Standing Calf Raise, Abs
Wednesday: Deadlift, Military Press, Pull-Ups, Dips, Seated Calf Raise, Abs
Friday: Leg Press, Bench Press, Barbell Row, Dumbell Curls, Shrugs, Abs
(3 sets, rep goal system)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiorio95 View Post
Hey, Adam. Happy you posted this because I know where you are coming from. About 2 years ago I was 5'7" 135lbs. I tried in the past to try and work out and I always followed some crazy dieting plan with a crazy workout and I just never succeeded. Right now I weigh around 183lbs. Quite frankly, I never succeeded until I stopped thinking about it so much.

Nutrition: Eat whatever you want and just make sure you are getting enough protein (1g/lbs of BW is a rough goal). Don't be scared of fats or carbs, just eat. I really mean that. Hit 3k cals, get your protein and eat like crazy. This will be the biggest source for change for you. If you need ideas to prep meals for on the go, or late night snack, high calories anything, there is so much info on the net about it. Make an effort to eat though!

Workout: I'm sorry I don't know what you do right now, but something with lot of barbell work would be my recommendation. Starting Strength, anything like that. This helped me build muscle everywhere on my body.

Mindset: I had the same feeling that whenever I gained weight it was in my midsection. It's all in your head, it was in mine as well. If you are lifting more in the gym, and eating right, you will grow. Believe in it. Before you know it people will notice the changes.

I don't want to try to oversimplify things, but for me that is what worked for me. I did the above and put my mind elsewhere, because I know I tend to over think and change things.

Get after it man, believe in it and give yourself a year and you will pick up a ton of gains.
It's nice to know that I not the only one who's dealt with this. I do need to stop over analyzing and stressing over the process and just start eating and training. Trying to get all the meals/calories in during the day has always been the biggest issue for me between school, internship, and work. I graduate next month, so I hope this will be less of an issue in the future. I know the majority of you guys and gals aren't in fitness professionally, so all this has to be worked around life, which I hope I can get ingetrated into mine.

Share with Facebook
Old 11-17-2013, 12:54 AM   #6
AdamNC
AdamNC
has no status.
Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
Have a goal and a target date. For me, it's 1200 total at 198 by 50 years old. A bit over a year from now. For you it might be squat 300 at 165 lbs a year from now, or whatever. All you have to do is hit that goal. Plot a course and stick to it.
This is something I haven't done related to training. Why I don't know, because I'm highly motivated by goals/deadlines in other aspects of my life. I guess I don't really know what would be a challenging but reachable goal by a certain time. However, if I could reach the one you suggested, that would be great.

Share with Facebook
Old 11-17-2013, 01:04 AM   #7
mohiz
mohiz
is cutting
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,621, Level: 23 Points: 1,621, Level: 23 Points: 1,621, Level: 23

Training Exp: 1 yrs
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: squat
Fav Supp: creatine, beta-alanine
My Mood: Lurking
mohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributor

Back To Basics Part 2 Nutrition & Diet - YouTube
Jason Blaha suggests 1 g of protein per pound of (lean) bodyweight, .5 g of fat and the rest carbs. I follow that and it's pretty much good. Increase your diet 200 kcal at a time until you gain about a pound a week. When you stop gaining, increase 200 kcal more and so on.

Weigh yourself every morning on an empty stomach and log it into Excel or some other chart. Then you can see the trend line of your weight change. It's much more accurate than to just look at the numbers, because they fluctuate.

For workout may I suggest his 5x5 novice wkt. It served me well.
http://www.muscleandstrength.com/wor...novice-workout

With regard to the fat gain, for me I just stopped caring about it and let my waist increase and I still look better than when I started, because I've put on so much muscle. I think the reason is that since my chest and all that good stuff is bigger, my belly doesn't "pot" out anymore, but it's kind of even.

Fat is nothing to be scared of, it's easier to lose than muscle is to gain (or lose). Just trust me on this, I lost 45 kg of fat recently. Your muscles will remain on you perpetually, but think of fat as just a storage - like the gas tank of a car. It is transient.

***Current goals***
- Get to <10% BF

Last edited by mohiz; 11-17-2013 at 01:08 AM.
mohiz is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-17-2013, 01:17 AM   #8
Ramrod
Ramrod
Reviews.com
Max Brawn
Points: 5,033, Level: 45 Points: 5,033, Level: 45 Points: 5,033, Level: 45
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 12
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: FOOD
My Mood: Doh
Ramrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master member

40p/30c/30f

Is a great place to start for almost anyone.

Use myfitnesspal.com or the App to track your food for a while. Just plug in the 2800 and the 40p/30c/30f and go... Goal is to pack as much food into that 2800 as you can while fitting your Macro's....

Something to help on the Gut is stay away from Soda increase your water to a Gallon a day. And pratice the Vaccum pose.. Like in BB'ing.. Don't laugh is works.

If your gut is getting to big for your liking, just reduce your Calories to maint. and cont. to workout. Once you have your AB's back Slowly increase your Calories again.

I've been near your weight before.. I'm 5'10 and was 110 going into my Senior Year. When I grad. I was 130...but I didn't weigth train and I ran track into College. After College is when I started really weight training.

From the age of 22 to 29 I was up to 190-200's when I trained like a BB. The Workout routine that really packed on the size and had decent strength was DC Training aka DoggCrapp. I also learned alot from it. The importance of Keeping a Log and how to use it. Not just write it down and never look at it again. How to actually use it to push yourself every day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sdfsf.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	11972  

Last edited by Ramrod; 11-17-2013 at 01:36 AM.
Ramrod is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-17-2013, 11:14 PM   #9
AdamNC
AdamNC
has no status.
Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohiz View Post
Back To Basics Part 2 Nutrition & Diet - YouTube

Jason Blaha suggests 1 g of protein per pound of (lean) bodyweight, .5 g of fat and the rest carbs. I follow that and it's pretty much good. Increase your diet 200 kcal at a time until you gain about a pound a week. When you stop gaining, increase 200 kcal more and so on.

Weigh yourself every morning on an empty stomach and log it into Excel or some other chart. Then you can see the trend line of your weight change. It's much more accurate than to just look at the numbers, because they fluctuate.

For workout may I suggest his 5x5 novice wkt. It served me well.
http://www.muscleandstrength.com/wor...novice-workout

With regard to the fat gain, for me I just stopped caring about it and let my waist increase and I still look better than when I started, because I've put on so much muscle. I think the reason is that since my chest and all that good stuff is bigger, my belly doesn't "pot" out anymore, but it's kind of even.

Fat is nothing to be scared of, it's easier to lose than muscle is to gain (or lose). Just trust me on this, I lost 45 kg of fat recently. Your muscles will remain on you perpetually, but think of fat as just a storage - like the gas tank of a car. It is transient.
Thanks for the tips, I checked out Jason Blahas video and calculated my macros based on his formula. It ended up being more carb dominate, which is good for me because I LOVE carbs, and they are much easier for to force down if it comes to that. I just can't eat a ton of chicken, or any meat for that matter in one sitting. In reference to the pot belly, if I could bring my chest up, like you were able to, it wouldn't be an issue.

Share with Facebook
Old 11-17-2013, 11:23 PM   #10
AdamNC
AdamNC
has no status.
Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrod View Post
40p/30c/30f

Is a great place to start for almost anyone.

Use myfitnesspal.com or the App to track your food for a while. Just plug in the 2800 and the 40p/30c/30f and go... Goal is to pack as much food into that 2800 as you can while fitting your Macro's....

Something to help on the Gut is stay away from Soda increase your water to a Gallon a day. And pratice the Vaccum pose.. Like in BB'ing.. Don't laugh is works.

If your gut is getting to big for your liking, just reduce your Calories to maint. and cont. to workout. Once you have your AB's back Slowly increase your Calories again.

I've been near your weight before.. I'm 5'10 and was 110 going into my Senior Year. When I grad. I was 130...but I didn't weigth train and I ran track into College. After College is when I started really weight training.

From the age of 22 to 29 I was up to 190-200's when I trained like a BB. The Workout routine that really packed on the size and had decent strength was DC Training aka DoggCrapp. I also learned alot from it. The importance of Keeping a Log and how to use it. Not just write it down and never look at it again. How to actually use it to push yourself every day.
Yeah, I've been trying to increase my water intake, and stop drinking so much tea. The vacuum pose......ok......I'll give that try. As far a workout log, I take one to the gym, and started on one this forum to keep me accountable, but I need to be more consistent with it.

Share with Facebook