Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 11-18-2013, 05:44 PM   #1
KD5NFW
KD5NFW
aka Buttercup
13 in 15
Max Brawn
Points: 12,405, Level: 72 Points: 12,405, Level: 72 Points: 12,405, Level: 72
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: yes
Fav Supp: meat
My Mood: Mellow
KD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite member
Default KD5NFW's Masters/Submasters writeup

(sorry if this is too long, didn't intend it to be but there you go)

Went to the site Saturday evening for early weigh in. Got there around 5:30 and they were still benching! Seven flights of bench on Saturday! Early weigh in started at 7 and they were still on women's deadlift. No idea how late that day's lifting went. Weigh in was as simple as kicking off my shoes and stepping on the scale. Came in at 211 with clothes on so safely in the middle of the220 class. Headed back home to get my gear ready to go.

Got up around 6:30 Sunday morning and basically went though my normal routine with coffee and breakfast. Meet started at 10, but I wasn't sure what to expect so I got there a little after 8. Well that was a waste of time haha! Absolutely nothing going on, but I was able to relax, and find my rack height for squat. They held a rules meeting at 9:30 to explain all the different lifts and disqualifications. It was at this time that I realized they had "power sports" in this meet, which includes power cleans and curlz lol.

The meet started off with power cleans, but there were only 3 lifters, so that went by pretty quick. Next up were the curlers (I still have a hard time saying that with a straight face). I think the top "strict" curl was around 220lbs or so. There were quite a few curlers (haha) so squats didn't start until an hour or so into the meet. This was fine really because it gave me plenty of time to get accustomed to the atmosphere and really purge any nerves or anxiety I had.

As luck would have it there was a younger man in my weight class who was also a novice and this was his first meet. He was the first lifter and I was the second lifter of our flight. So right off the bat I had a buddy to identify with for the rest of the meet. His father, who hadn't lifted in over 3 years competetively, was also lifting for the first time since coming back from a motorcycle accident. He is the gentleman handing off to me on bench. I did plenty of stretching and foam rolling before starting my warm ups. I basically went through the same ramp schedule that I would at the gym. I have to say I really didn't feel nervous or apprehensive at all as I stepped onto the platform for my first squat, and first judged lift ever! All I was worried about was hitting depth and getting at least 2 white lights. After my lift, I turned the see the result, and to my amazement there were 3 white light! Woohoo! On my second attempt I decided to go for a personal best and once again got 3 whites. As the meet got closer, I had told myself that around 365lbs would probably be the most I could dream for on a 3rd attempt, so 369 it was. It went up, but I'm not sure if there were too many more pounds left on the platform in squats. There were three flights on squat, and I was in the second flight, so I had a little time to relax before bench.

I was also in the second flight of bench so I was able to observe everyone else as they warmed up. I really don't require a lot of warm up for bench so I wasn't worried about it near as much as I was for squats. Just needed to make sure my shoulders were ready to go. My opener was an easy 275 and it flew right up. I didn't want to make too big of a jump on my second attempt so I went for a comfortable 303, just below my gym PR. Well, this is where I had my only brain fart of the meet. As I took the hand off and held the bar above my head, I waited and waited and waited for the referee to give me a bench command. After 4-5 seconds I realized there is no bench command you moron! I think this kind of freaked me out and this turned out to be the toughest grinder of the meet. I almost strained my left hammy grinding that lift out. Well, that left me a little shaken and not overly confident of hitting my next lift, so I only went up to 308. Well that lift flew right up, so I feel like I may have left about 5lbs on the platform with bench. There were five flights of bench so I had quite a while to relax before deads.

I was in the second flight of deads, so as the first flight lifted, I foam rolled again then went through a few pulls for warm up, pretty close to what I would do at the gym, but a little less volume. I thought I had warmed up to about 365 as my opener was 407 and I didn't want to get too close. The 365 felt heavier than it should, but turns out it was closer to 390 (yeah me and kg's don't get along haha). But in the end it made the 407 opener feel light. It was also the first time I was able to use chalk and a real deadlift bar. 407 flew off the floor and the loaders on the platform said nice warm up haha! That gave me the confidence to go for a PR on my second attempt at 440. This lift also felt very easy so I went for an all time strapped PR. 462 is 7 pounds over that and there was more in the tank. I feel like 475 was there for the taking, but I was not unhappy or regretful about any of the choices I made on any of my lifts.

My goals for my first meet were:
1. Have fun
2. Set a total
3. Hit 1000lb total
Stretch goal: Hit 1100lb total

Well I can say I accomplished all my goals for my first meet, and exceeded my stretch goal by 40lbs! I learned that the power lifting community is full of the nicest, most helpful and REAL people I have ever met. Everyone is treated with respect and dignity. The weakest lifter in the meet is treated the same as the strongest lifter in the meet. It's just like a big family, with all the fun and kidding that goes along with it. I knew to take along some light snacks to keep myself from getting hungry or eating junk that might disagree with me. I failed to drink enough fluids and suffered from a dehydration headache this morning, so you definitely need to remember to drink lots of fluids. In the end, I can't wait to hit the next meet and increase my total. If you are evenly slightly interested in power lifting I suggest you give it a go and see if it's for you!

KD5NFW is offline   Reply With Quote

11 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2013, 07:18 PM   #2
Hunterace
Hunterace
is mental!!!
I'm quitting next week!
Max Brawn
Points: 17,415, Level: 84 Points: 17,415, Level: 84 Points: 17,415, Level: 84
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Congrats again Rich! Think I've said that 25 times in the last 24 hours lol, but every time was deserved! Way to get it done and kill it bud!!!!!!

~~~2 Chronicles 15:7 ~~~
But as for you, be strong and do not give up, for your work will be rewarded.

!!!MY HEAD HURTS!!!
My Training Log
http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/sho...734#post494734
Hunterace is offline   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-2013, 07:43 PM   #3
Cutty
Cutty
beastmode
Max Brawn
Points: 5,635, Level: 48 Points: 5,635, Level: 48 Points: 5,635, Level: 48
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 3.5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Amino Acids
My Mood: Inspired
Cutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master member

Great job!

Link to log

Max Gym Lifts: 495/300/605
Last Meet Lifts: 435/303/512

Passion without discipline is just a dream. - Steve Shaw

Sometimes you make your own pull by pushing forward. - Steve Shaw
Cutty is online now   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-2013, 07:45 PM   #4
Vin1968
Vin1968
is no wacko!
Uber Brawn
Points: 2,648, Level: 31 Points: 2,648, Level: 31 Points: 2,648, Level: 31
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 2-3 years
Training Type: Wendler 531
My Mood: Lurking
Vin1968 is a consistent contributorVin1968 is a consistent contributorVin1968 is a consistent contributorVin1968 is a consistent contributorVin1968 is a consistent contributorVin1968 is a consistent contributorVin1968 is a consistent contributorVin1968 is a consistent contributorVin1968 is a consistent contributorVin1968 is a consistent contributorVin1968 is a consistent contributor

The power of the beard, lol. Great work Rich!!!!

Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-2013, 07:55 PM   #5
jiorio95
jiorio95
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 6,171, Level: 51 Points: 6,171, Level: 51 Points: 6,171, Level: 51
Activity: 41% Activity: 41% Activity: 41%

Fav Exercise: Squat
jiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master member

Awesome work! Looks like you exceeded your expectations and had a great time. You have the fever!
jiorio95 is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-2013, 07:56 PM   #6
bamazav
bamazav
Dog House Training, home of the WalkerDips!Geezers Rule!
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
My Mood: Amazed
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Great job! Great motivation for me.

2014 100%RAW American Challenge, May 31, 2014:
Squat 292
Bench 176
Deadlift 375 PR
Total - 843 at 50 yrs 199.6 lbs

Shooting for a 900+ total for next meet. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-2013, 08:47 PM   #7
KD5NFW
KD5NFW
aka Buttercup
13 in 15
Max Brawn
Points: 12,405, Level: 72 Points: 12,405, Level: 72 Points: 12,405, Level: 72
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Training Exp: 3
Fav Exercise: yes
Fav Supp: meat
KD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunterace View Post
Congrats again Rich! Think I've said that 25 times in the last 24 hours lol, but every time was deserved! Way to get it done and kill it bud!!!!!!
Thanks Jay I appreciate it all 25 times too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty View Post
Great job!
Thanks Cutty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin1968 View Post
The power of the beard, lol. Great work Rich!!!!
Had to take advantage of No Shave November and harness the power of the beard haha! Thanks Vin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiorio95 View Post
Awesome work! Looks like you exceeded your expectations and had a great time. You have the fever!
Thanks jio I had a blast!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamazav View Post
Great job! Great motivation for me.
Thanks bamazav! Go get you some
KD5NFW is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-2013, 09:01 PM   #8
Squatter
Squatter
is a Crazy Canuck
Squatatron
Max Brawn
Points: 27,542, Level: 98 Points: 27,542, Level: 98 Points: 27,542, Level: 98
Activity: 59% Activity: 59% Activity: 59%

Training Exp: 20 Years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat & Deadlift
Fav Supp: Collagen
My Mood: Happy
Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!

You really looked like a seasoned pro up on the platform Rich. You made really smart choices for all the lifts - getting greedy and/or caught up in the moment usually never pans out.

Indeed, at some meets there is no start command on bench - I should have told you that beforehand! No doubt it caused the grind as the 3rd lift was butter.

Looks like your hooked now just like the rest of us!!
Bench: 275 lbs
Deadlift: 501 lbs
Total: 1251 lbs

Gym PR's:
Squat: 495 lbs
Bench: 295 lbs
Deadlift: 510 lbs
Total: 1300 Lbs
Age 50
Squatter is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-2013, 10:57 PM   #9
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,548,567, Level: 100 Points: 1,548,567, Level: 100 Points: 1,548,567, Level: 100
Activity: 48% Activity: 48% Activity: 48%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Smoked those lifts. Deadlifts looked real smooth. Didn't get to see those this weekend.

And damn! Those plated loaders were fast!

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-19-2013, 12:10 AM   #10
EliteDreams
EliteDreams
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn
Points: 12,816, Level: 73 Points: 12,816, Level: 73 Points: 12,816, Level: 73
Activity: 34% Activity: 34% Activity: 34%

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Steak
My Mood: Asleep
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!

Freakin awesome!

The gates of hell have been unlocked, headstones pushed aside!
EliteDreams is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook