Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 11-18-2013, 11:31 AM   #1
afraziaaaa
afraziaaaa
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 2,829, Level: 32 Points: 2,829, Level: 32 Points: 2,829, Level: 32
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Whey Protein
afraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machine
Default Raw to geared lifting?

No direct questions about this topic really. I plan on getting into some gear for squatting next week and it will be my first time. Just looking for any advice/tips/guidance anyone has to offer on the subject. What should my virgin hips expect?
afraziaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2013, 12:00 PM   #2
Beverly McD
Beverly McD
Texas
Max Brawn
Points: 2,132, Level: 27 Points: 2,132, Level: 27 Points: 2,132, Level: 27
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: Since 1987
My Mood: Amused
Beverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machine

On squats the gear will allow you to widen your stance.
Make a conscious effort to drive your knees out or the gear will shoot you forward out of the hole.
Beverly McD is offline   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-2013, 01:21 PM   #3
J_Byrd
J_Byrd
is the bomb!
Max Brawn
Points: 20,614, Level: 90 Points: 20,614, Level: 90 Points: 20,614, Level: 90
Activity: 39% Activity: 39% Activity: 39%

Spider Solitare Four Suit Champion! Pick Up Sticks 3D Champion!
Tournaments Won: 3

Training Exp: 15
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

well well....just my kind of topic lol

First hopefully its some old used gear. The gear will make it harder to get to depth. You will really have to focus on keeping your knees out during the lift. There is no way to get to depth if you dont. Take it slow, it will take a little to get the feel for it. ALso the pressure that builds up in your head is a lot different.

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-2013, 01:35 PM   #4
LtL
LtL
is loving life.
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,262, Level: 100 Points: 36,262, Level: 100 Points: 36,262, Level: 100
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Exp: 5 years
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
My Mood: Cheerful
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

I started out with relatively right gear and regretted it. When I lost some size and it got looser, I learned a lot faster. Used gear is a great starting point.
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-2013, 01:56 PM   #5
Soldier
Soldier
is judging you.
Max Brawn
Points: 13,641, Level: 75 Points: 13,641, Level: 75 Points: 13,641, Level: 75
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: On and off for 15 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Doubtful
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Expect discomfort. Hopefully it won't be too tight and therefore also shouldn't be that unconfortable, but it certainly won't feel nice. When you squat, sit back into the suit and feel the suit stretch as it supports you more and more during your descent. Don't be afraid to try the suit with relatively light weights to get a feel for it. You don't want to have balance issues with 115% of your raw max on your back.

Focus more on warming up and getting loose, and focus on your form. Gear is all about control instead of raw power, at least in my limited experience.

There are some very knowledgable guys here. Don't be afraid to ask more questions. When I first got into gear a while back it made a world of difference to get advice around here.
Goals-
Win.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 11-19-2013, 09:23 AM   #6
afraziaaaa
afraziaaaa
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 2,829, Level: 32 Points: 2,829, Level: 32 Points: 2,829, Level: 32
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Fav Supp: Whey Protein
afraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machine

Thanks for the responses everyone. Fortunately, I am with a crew of about 6-10 so I am not worried about losing the weight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Byrd View Post
well well....just my kind of topic lol

First hopefully its some old used gear. The gear will make it harder to get to depth. You will really have to focus on keeping your knees out during the lift. There is no way to get to depth if you dont. Take it slow, it will take a little to get the feel for it. ALso the pressure that builds up in your head is a lot different.
I am borrowing some old two-ply briefs and an old single ply suit from a friend who is just a bit bigger than I am. I'm not sure how they fit just yet or exactly what brand they are, but I expect them to be a bit loose but not to the point where I get nothing out of them. From what I have heard, it is best to learn in gear that is a bit loose. Is there any truth to that? LtL can you speak a bit more on that?
afraziaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-19-2013, 12:01 PM   #7
brad1224
brad1224
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 5,212, Level: 46 Points: 5,212, Level: 46 Points: 5,212, Level: 46
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Cake Of Chaos Champion!
brad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machine

i just know about a belt and wraps for squatting. it helps me get out of the hole and makes me more stable. but i dont power lift but i do squat heavy

***AAEFX REP***

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AllAmericanEFX
Twitter: @AllAmericanEFX
Instagram: @AAEFX

http://www.aaefx.com
brad1224 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-19-2013, 02:36 PM   #8
Soldier
Soldier
is judging you.
Max Brawn

Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afraziaaaa View Post
Thanks for the responses everyone. Fortunately, I am with a crew of about 6-10 so I am not worried about losing the weight!

I am borrowing some old two-ply briefs and an old single ply suit from a friend who is just a bit bigger than I am. I'm not sure how they fit just yet or exactly what brand they are, but I expect them to be a bit loose but not to the point where I get nothing out of them. From what I have heard, it is best to learn in gear that is a bit loose. Is there any truth to that? LtL can you speak a bit more on that?
It's good to transition into geared lifting with looser gear, but honestly that's more important with a bench shirt, as benching with a shirt is VERY different from raw benching, whereas squatting in a suit isn't necesarily that different from raw squatting.

I'd say skip the briefs. Start with the single ply and keep the straps down. Use your belt to keep the suit up and you'll have the exact same thing as briefs. You'll only put the straps up when you get up around max weights. In a well fitted suit you'll find it almost impossible to get to parallel with the straps up unless you have 110%+ of your raw max on your back.

When I was training in gear I went straps down on most of my rep work. It gives you hip support without making you feel like your eyes are going to pop out of your skull at the bottom.
Goals-
Win.

Share with Facebook
Old 11-19-2013, 02:51 PM   #9
J_Byrd
J_Byrd
is the bomb!
Max Brawn
Points: 20,614, Level: 90 Points: 20,614, Level: 90 Points: 20,614, Level: 90
Activity: 39% Activity: 39% Activity: 39%

Spider Solitare Four Suit Champion! Pick Up Sticks 3D Champion!
Tournaments Won: 3

Training Exp: 15
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
When I was training in gear I went straps down on most of my rep work. It gives you hip support without making you feel like your eyes are going to pop out of your skull at the bottom.
Where is the fun in all that! You didnt like the eyes pop out of your head feeling!

Nice and easy in gear, the stronger you are, the easier it is to use gear.

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-19-2013, 02:54 PM   #10
Soldier
Soldier
is judging you.
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Byrd View Post
Where is the fun in all that! You didnt like the eyes pop out of your head feeling!

Nice and easy in gear, the stronger you are, the easier it is to use gear.
I'm not gonna lie, I loved that feeling. There's nothing like the confidence gear gives you and the feeling of massive weight on your back.

I could only handle it a couple times a session though.
Goals-
Win.

Share with Facebook