Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:14 AM   #1
Hunterace
Hunterace
is mental!!!
I'm quitting next week!
Max Brawn
Points: 17,126, Level: 83 Points: 17,126, Level: 83 Points: 17,126, Level: 83
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Default Hunterace's Power Weekend write up!

Just going to ramble about my whole weekend

Friday...
I felt really solid and ready to go hit the iron!
Steve picked me up in the morning and we headed to Iowa. Nothing is better than shooting the shit with someone as knowledgeable as Steve! I consider him a great friend and can't thank him enough for all his help and friendship, he means a lot to me, and I know many others!
Got to Iowa and met up with Cutty and Gasp, who are great guys! Went to meet and they all weighed in and barely made weight lol. Met Roger and his wife, very good people! Later we ate food, had some drinks and goofed around the whole day, lots of farting , smelly bastards!

Saturday...
Slept like shit! I think I got put in the third shift section of the hotel. Tried going to sleep at midnight. At 12:30 someone was opening and closing doors and then started their car and left. Not a big deal because I wasn't really asleep yet, but I was close. Then at 2, 4, 5, 6:30, basically every time I fell asleep I got woke up, it sucked!!!
On to the meet...
I weighed in fully clothed at 219lbs, so happy I made weight easily for the 220 class.
Cutty and Gasp first meet, and they did so awesome! Cutty 8 for 9 and he had a blast and did great! Gasp hammered the bench as expected and was 3 for 3, top notch! Roger didn't have the day he wanted, but still did awesome IMO! Got to see Pete Rubish hit a 1851 total at 242 which was cool. Met Mark(not writing last name very long and to lazy to look up now) who's a wheelchair lifter. Awesome guy and he set a bench PR at 535 or some crazy shit! Seeing Lilliebridge set the world record, TWICE, was something I'll probably never forget. 925 is the new WR and looked like he could have hit another 20+ lbs! Just freaking amazing !

The downside was it was sooooooooooo long of a day. Don't think we were out of there til after 7pm and we got there at 8am !
For whatever reason, beyond my head getting worse, not unexpected, for some reason my body didn't enjoy being a spectator all day! My feet were killing me and my lower back went to hell. Felt pumped and painful, couldn't sit or be comfortable at all.
Afterwards we went out and ate and celebrated the great day Cutty had! Gasp went home with his trophy !
Had a little better night trying to sleep, sort of... Didn't get woke up but once, but my head kept me up, but I got a little rest.

Saturday...
At the meet early again, and my head wasn't too horrible which I was glad about, but my lower back felt as if I deadlifted for PRs.
Had a really long wait til my first bench attempt so lots more sitting around, but had a lot of good lifting to watch.
Lifting...
Bench
Warmed up on bench with 135x 3 paused, and that was good enough for me. Think Steve would have liked me to do a little more, but he didn't push me !
First attempt went light...
203... Whites
Second attempt wanted a PR, previous being 225, planed on 235 but figured I'd go conservative...
231.5... Whites, meet PR
Happy with getting a PR and it wasn't to hard. Honestly was harder on my low back getting tight and keep my arch then any chest or arm work, lol.
Told Steve he could pick my last attempt cause I had a PR and didn't really care what happened. While waiting all I did was imagine lifting the weight, no bad thoughts. Steve said he only went a "little heavier".
Third attempt...
248.5... Whites, new meet PR couldn't have been happier!
After I got the lift and stood up, Steve said great job or easy or something like that. Also said "I lied" about only adding a little lol!

Bench being done and my back feeling destroyed, my head got way worse on my third lift. And I had like a 2-3 hour wait til deads which sucked.
Planned on doing 375 for a PR on my opener for deads but I didn't think between my back and head I had anything more than one lift in me. My second attempt I planed on getting over 400 so instead of messing around and using up myself on a 10lb PR and doing 375, Steve and I decided to go change my opener.

Deadlift
Warmup, nothing...
I know this concerned Steve and he tried without pushing to convince me to go do a few pulls, but I just didn't want to do any extra lifts, even a light easy one. I set my mind on 1 more lift. Wasn't a guarantee by any stretch, but was very confident I could stand up once, hopefully .
First attempt...
402.3... Whites, new meet PR, previous was 365
Called it quits here. I believe I could have easily gotten at least 25 more lbs, but saw no point to it. My back was jacked up bad, head was horrible and after my lift I thought I tweaked my knee, but shortly after it was fine.
Was satisfied with 3 PRs in 4 attempts with no fails. I know it's not the powerlifter mentality to not go for your best and give your all, but skipping my second and third attempts seemed like the smart thing to do. Never claimed I was smart though, or even a "powerlifter" !
Anyhow hung around and waited for trophy time. Hoped I'd get third, and take home a trophy. Steve said I got it for sure, but with all the lifters we had I wasn't confident if there was 4 guys in my class or not that I'd get one.
Well somehow I got second place ! Last time I got 3rd by default cause the other guy had about 5lbs less than me with no deadlift attempts . I'd be lying if I said this didn't make me feel awesome getting second place!

So we headed home, which became an adventure with car trouble. Steve had to find the special combo with electrical that he used to get me home and himself home. Thankfully we both got home in one piece !

It was great meeting Roger, John(gasp) and Jeremy(cutty) and if course spending lots of time with the big hairy ugly guy!

Thanks so much for everything Steve!

Thanks to everyone that watched live on the feed when they could and chatted with us during the whole meet.

Congrats to Roger, John, Jeremy, and also Rich and Henry on their great meets too!

Little extra shout out to Babs! Even with her having a bad headache and feeling like crap, she kept us all in high spirits and chatted and watched us lift on the feed, when it worked the whole time!

!!!SPECIAL THANKS TO ALL MY MAB BROTHERS AND SISTERS FOR YOUR SUPPORT!!!

~~~2 Chronicles 15:7 ~~~
But as for you, be strong and do not give up, for your work will be rewarded.

!!!MY HEAD HURTS!!!
My Training Log
http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/sho...734#post494734

Last edited by BendtheBar; 11-18-2013 at 10:54 AM.
Hunterace is online now   Reply With Quote

11 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2013, 10:19 AM   #2
big_swede
big_swede
Strongman
Max Brawn
Points: 33,375, Level: 100 Points: 33,375, Level: 100 Points: 33,375, Level: 100
Activity: 22% Activity: 22% Activity: 22%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
My Mood: Yeehaw
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Great work hunter, making us all proud!

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-2013, 10:21 AM   #3
MadMonk
MadMonk
Used to be sane.
Brawn
Points: 944, Level: 16 Points: 944, Level: 16 Points: 944, Level: 16
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Type: None
My Mood: Twisted
MadMonk is a consistent contributorMadMonk is a consistent contributorMadMonk is a consistent contributorMadMonk is a consistent contributorMadMonk is a consistent contributorMadMonk is a consistent contributorMadMonk is a consistent contributorMadMonk is a consistent contributorMadMonk is a consistent contributorMadMonk is a consistent contributorMadMonk is a consistent contributor

Well done mate! Sounds like a good weekend all round
MadMonk is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-2013, 10:49 AM   #4
EliteDreams
EliteDreams
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn
Points: 12,302, Level: 72 Points: 12,302, Level: 72 Points: 12,302, Level: 72
Activity: 40% Activity: 40% Activity: 40%

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Steak
My Mood: Asleep
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!

Weeeeee!

The gates of hell have been unlocked, headstones pushed aside!
EliteDreams is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-2013, 10:52 AM   #5
dzarello
dzarello
5/3/1
Italian Proud
Max Brawn
Points: 6,267, Level: 51 Points: 6,267, Level: 51 Points: 6,267, Level: 51
Activity: 95% Activity: 95% Activity: 95%

Training Exp: 2 years
Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Exercise: Squats/Deads
Fav Supp: Food
My Mood: Lurking
dzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master member

Very proud of you big man. Congrats on the PRs! Powerlifter mentality or not, you've done what a lot of us haven't and that is compete in a real meet, twice! Much respect!

I just want a place where I can be left alone to get strong and work off some aggression.
-Dave Tate-

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.
-Eleanor Roosevelt-

dzarello is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-2013, 10:54 AM   #6
Squatter
Squatter
is a Crazy Canuck
Squatatron
Max Brawn
Points: 26,587, Level: 97 Points: 26,587, Level: 97 Points: 26,587, Level: 97
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 20 Years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat & Deadlift
Fav Supp: Collagen
My Mood: Happy
Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!

I think it was a smart/good call to call it a day after a giant pull PR Jay. You have to consider your special circumstances and you know you will get another PR at the next meet. Congratz on the Big Benching as well, and to Steve for lying about the weight. The mental side of not thinking about the weight is huge.

I am just stunned at how little or no warm/ramp up you need. Injury may be a concern, but the risk/benefit ratio seems to be in your favor.

Happy you got 2nd place as well - couldn't have happened to a more deserving guy
Bench: 275 lbs
Deadlift: 501 lbs
Total: 1251 lbs

Gym PR's:
Squat: 495 lbs
Bench: 295 lbs
Deadlift: 510 lbs
Total: 1300 Lbs
Age 50
Squatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-2013, 10:58 AM   #7
Dray
Dray
is getting stronger
Max Brawn
Points: 9,422, Level: 65 Points: 9,422, Level: 65 Points: 9,422, Level: 65
Activity: 83% Activity: 83% Activity: 83%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: cgbp
Fav Supp: rare steak
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

Yeah, buddy! Well done, mate.

Gym PRs: Squat 160kg/352.7lbs, Bench 112.5kg/248lbs, Deadlift 220kg/485lbs, Strict Press 72.5kg/159.8lbs

My new training log
Dray is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-2013, 11:09 AM   #8
moeheep
moeheep
wants a 900lb Total
Max Brawn
Points: 9,337, Level: 64 Points: 9,337, Level: 64 Points: 9,337, Level: 64
Activity: 54% Activity: 54% Activity: 54%

Training Exp: 1.5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: DEADS
Fav Supp: Condense
My Mood: Amazed
moeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite member

Those result are EXCELLENT I think Jay

Super PR,s....and big increases over last meet!!

Fine Job!

Best Meet Lifts:
Squat = 325
Bench = 210
Dead = 353
Total = 888

The iron is there during my times of happiness, sadness and anger. The iron is there available through the 4 seasons and inclement weather. The iron is there to either comfort me or motivate me. The Iron manages to show me how strong I am or how humble I need to be. The iron does not yell, but it always demands respect. The iron is not a disciplinarian, but when disrespected, I feel it for a long time. The iron does not love or hate, but we definitely share a strong bond. And no matter how far I stay away or for how long, the iron is there, waiting to be lifted.
moeheep is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-2013, 11:11 AM   #9
ravimolasaria
ravimolasaria
Wanted to be as strong as a polar bear ...
Max Brawn
Points: 25,335, Level: 95 Points: 25,335, Level: 95 Points: 25,335, Level: 95
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Training Exp: 10
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Whatever makes me strong
My Mood: Yeehaw
ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!

Awesome meet and equally awesome write up Jay ... So you can have an alternative career waiting for you ... j/k ... I do think that most of us won't even participated in the conditions that you were facing let alone recording some PRs. It didn't matter how much you lifted (well it does when you get a trophy ) but main thing is that you PARTICIPATED ... superb lifting brother ... Hopefully that knee twist was just a minor problem and you will be OK by the time you are hitting the gym again ... Inspirational stuff ...

As such you don't require this but Keep pushing your limits brother ...

Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-2013, 11:12 AM   #10
Hunterace
Hunterace
is mental!!!
I'm quitting next week!
Max Brawn
Points: 17,126, Level: 83 Points: 17,126, Level: 83 Points: 17,126, Level: 83
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_swede View Post
Great work hunter, making us all proud!
Thanks Swede! Gotta try and keep up with the crazy Vikings out there

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMonk View Post
Well done mate! Sounds like a good weekend all round
Thanks MadMonk! Had lots of fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteDreams View Post
Weeeeee!
Lol Ben!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzarello View Post
Very proud of you big man. Congrats on the PRs! Powerlifter mentality or not, you've done what a lot of us haven't and that is compete in a real meet, twice! Much respect!
Thanks DZM you'll compete, and you'll do awesome bud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squatter View Post
I think it was a smart/good call to call it a day after a giant pull PR Jay. You have to consider your special circumstances and you know you will get another PR at the next meet. Congratz on the Big Benching as well, and to Steve for lying about the weight. The mental side of not thinking about the weight is huge.

I am just stunned at how little or no warm/ramp up you need. Injury may be a concern, but the risk/benefit ratio seems to be in your favor.

Happy you got 2nd place as well - couldn't have happened to a more deserving guy
Thanks Super Jim! Everyone would like a little more or better, but I can't complain at all and I'm proud of what I did!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dray View Post
Yeah, buddy! Well done, mate.
Thanks Dray! Appreciate it man!

~~~2 Chronicles 15:7 ~~~
But as for you, be strong and do not give up, for your work will be rewarded.

!!!MY HEAD HURTS!!!
My Training Log
http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/sho...734#post494734
Hunterace is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook