Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 03-28-2014, 09:37 AM   #51
GeezerDude
GeezerDude
Stronger than yesterday. Weaker than tomorrow
GeezerDude
Brawn
Points: 719, Level: 14 Points: 719, Level: 14 Points: 719, Level: 14
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 3 1/2 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
My Mood: Amused
GeezerDude is a consistent contributorGeezerDude is a consistent contributorGeezerDude is a consistent contributorGeezerDude is a consistent contributorGeezerDude is a consistent contributorGeezerDude is a consistent contributorGeezerDude is a consistent contributorGeezerDude is a consistent contributorGeezerDude is a consistent contributorGeezerDude is a consistent contributorGeezerDude is a consistent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
By the way, I saw that there are some men in uniform who are protesting a possible confrontation with Russia. They are writing their little gripes and complaints on paper and holding it over their face.

Go fuck yourselves.

You signed a blank check, payable to the United States government, up to and including your life. Yeah, to the people of the US, blah, blah, whatever, but we work for the government. If they start WWIII by being dumb, and I have to go fight and kill for it, then THAT'S WHAT I SIGNED UP FOR. I follow orders. I'm a single small cog in a massive wheel that's going to keep turning no matter what the Hell I think, or even worse, what I FEEL. No one cares what I feel about it. No one cares what you feel about it. You're not allowed to feel.

If anything, by being a whiny little bitch about possibly having to do your job you're making us all look like weak bitches. It just increases the chances of someone thinking they can take us. They can't. They can't take us. A war at this time would suck, both for me personally, for the country, and for the world, but if shit goes down I'm on the right team, and it's a losing proposition for whoever decides to stir the pot. Russia? Hell, I'd be scared if Iran did something. But the only Country that straight up scares the crap out of me is China. Other than that? Bring it.

And Russia knows when they're stirring the pot and when they aren't. If they decide to forcefully invade Ukraine, then they're digging up a hatchet that they need to leave in the ground. Like it or not, the US doesn't like it when you pick on other countries, and we'll kick your ass if we need to.

And if they need me? I may not like it, but for at least the next 3 years this is what I do. I may complain like a baby to my wife, but you won't catch me whining to the world about doing something that I knew was a possibility when I signed my name on the dotted line and raised my right arm.
Being retired military, it seems that through my entire career, having served in two different branches, the ones who do the most whining are usually the ones who have the least to worry about in regards to actual fighting.

While all the educational benefits have been great, it has also caused a situation where some kids enlisting are only doing so for these benefits while not considering they may need to place their personal schooling on hold. It is no different with the reserves too. You get a bunch who want the glory of being a weekend warrior, but when the shit hits the fan and they have to deploy all you hear is about how much it is going to cost them by having to leave their jobs for a year or so. Bottom line, it is what you signed up for. You should have considered the impact before voluntarily signing up. I used to train reserves and like we used to tell them; "Your family, schooling and civilian job did not come issued in your duffel bag."

I used to get irritated with first term guys bitching about deployments. But the ones who really chapped my ass were the ones who were anywhere from 5-20 years into the careers and still whining about deploying. Most especially senior NCO's.
GeezerDude is offline   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2014, 11:03 AM   #52
GeezerDude
GeezerDude
GeezerDude
Brawn

GeezerDude is a consistent contributorGeezerDude is a consistent contributorGeezerDude is a consistent contributorGeezerDude is a consistent contributorGeezerDude is a consistent contributorGeezerDude is a consistent contributorGeezerDude is a consistent contributorGeezerDude is a consistent contributorGeezerDude is a consistent contributorGeezerDude is a consistent contributorGeezerDude is a consistent contributor

Quote:
By the way, I saw that there are some men in uniform who are protesting a possible confrontation with Russia.
These people are quaking in their boots for nothing. With all the draw downs of personnel, equipment and such, I see no indication that we are going to do shit about anything. Hell, if we were going to go at it with Russia we would be ramping back up instead of ramping down. The administration is going bluster in front of the cameras, as well as some of the European administrations. But at the end of the day, Putin is going to do what Putin wants to do. And we are not going to anything meaningful about it.

Share with Facebook
Old 03-28-2014, 11:47 AM   #53
Soldier
Soldier
gets crabby on low carb days.
Max Brawn
Points: 13,497, Level: 75 Points: 13,497, Level: 75 Points: 13,497, Level: 75
Activity: 32% Activity: 32% Activity: 32%

Training Exp: On and off for 15 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Doubtful
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeezerDude View Post
These people are quaking in their boots for nothing. With all the draw downs of personnel, equipment and such, I see no indication that we are going to do shit about anything. Hell, if we were going to go at it with Russia we would be ramping back up instead of ramping down. The administration is going bluster in front of the cameras, as well as some of the European administrations. But at the end of the day, Putin is going to do what Putin wants to do. And we are not going to anything meaningful about it.
I agree
Goals-
Win.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-28-2014, 01:03 PM   #54
RobMoriRB
RobMoriRB
training to get Elite
Max Brawn
Points: 9,156, Level: 64 Points: 9,156, Level: 64 Points: 9,156, Level: 64
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 3
Fav Supp: Mutant Mass
My Mood: Cheerful
RobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master member

Quote:
Am I the only one who routinely fantasizes about going back in time? Not like me going back as the person I am now, but going back and replacing the person I was. I'd go back to middle school and ask that one girl out. That one girl, the one I spent all those hours thinking about and dreaming about. I'd go up without a second thought and say "Hey, you wanna hang out some time?" She'd probably say "No thanks", and I'd move on with my life. Or she'd say ok and I'd find out that she wasn't nearly as great as I made her out to be.

Or I'd go back to high school and instead of ruining my shoulders by playing football I'd lift weights, get jacked and stay in the band. Yup, the band. My sister got a music scholarship that helped her get a degree from UF. I'd focus on academics, play in the band, go to college, then get a good job and never end up joining the Army.

The funny thing is, the older I get, the more I long for the old days. Not for what they were, but what I could have made them knowing what I know now. One of the big things I think about is my fitness and strength levels.

Just imagine it! Go back to high school, start a solid progressive lifting routine, eat right and do things right. God, I could have really made something of it.

I know I'm not the only one who thinks about that, right?
If I could go back into time, I would listen to my buddie who was training Power lifting. I would of been a monster an with the guidance from all of you would of have been great. All I have is MAB an the weight room, that understand me an the struggles I have gone through. My Girl friend who I love dearly will never understand the struggle I go through under the barbell an in life.
Bench: 330(305)
Total: 1185lbs
Equipped Goals(Current)
Squat: 500(465)
Sumo Dead Lift:500(475)
Bench:330(305)
Total:1245

Block Program: http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16237

BLOG:http://theanimalmethod.wordpress.com/
RobMoriRB is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 04-10-2014, 09:01 PM   #55
Soldier
Soldier
Max Brawn

Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

I'm going to start a new series of rants in this thread. It's going to be called "angry things I think while training in the same gym as crossfitters".

Angry things I think while training in the same gym as crossfitters, part 1-

The Turkish getup is STUPID. Yeah, I get it, it's a kettlebell movement and therefore people just freak the fuck out about it now that kettlebells are popular again. I also get that it's an old school movement, lost to history, and therefore it's interesting. People feel like they've discovered something from the days before training became forever un-fucking-functional. Those damn machines. Everybody knows that it's far more functional to do the slowest kettlebell "swing" in history with 2.7lb pink rubber coated kettlebells than it is to produce enough force to move 450lb on the god-forsaken glorified dark-ages torture device known as a "machine".

Don't even get me started.

*Who's going to break it to Branch Warren that he'll never get gains if he uses machines?*

But did you ever stop to think, for even a second, that maybe there's a REASON people stopped doing the Turkish getup? Maybe one day someone threw his kettlebell to the ground, got everyone's attention and said "Guys, this is dumb. We're just standing up holding a weight." Maybe somebody realized that trying to load an overly complex movement only means that the majority of the movement always ends up miserably under-loaded?

Ruskies have been throwing around heavy ass kettlebells since the beginning of time (Ok, I don't know when they started using them, but in my mind the first man to ever say "I claim this land. It will be known as RUSSIA!" did so while holding a hunk of iron with a crudely formed handle), so don't for a second think I'm saying that kettlebells are useless. But Americans have bastardized the venerable kettlebell and the use there of, and the Turkish getup might be the worst example.

During my time training in a gym where crossfitters train, I've seen probably 2 dozen people doing the Turkish getup. The one thing they all had in common? They weren't working very hard. None of them were struggling. I don't even know if any of them were sweating!

If you want to get on up Turkish style, then more power to you. But when you plan your workout (or choose what program to run), take a run down the list and ask yourself "why the hell am I doing this movement?" If you don't have a damn good answer, maybe it's time to find a new plan.

*These guys don't do the Turkish getup. They do the Turkish get-down-with-yo-bad-self.*
Goals-
Win.

Last edited by Soldier; 04-10-2014 at 09:04 PM.

Share with Facebook
Old 04-10-2014, 09:18 PM   #56
GeezerDude
GeezerDude
GeezerDude
Brawn

Quote:
I
If you want to get on up Turkish style, then more power to you. But when you plan your workout (or choose what program to run), take a run down the list and ask yourself "why the hell am I doing this movement?" If you don't have a damn good answer, maybe it's time to find a new plan.
I agree with this 100%. I know I have discarded several variations of lifts because I found no real good reason to be doing them. Other than I read somewhere they are supposed to be really good for something, I guess...

Share with Facebook
Old 04-10-2014, 09:21 PM   #57
skids
skids
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 4,139, Level: 40 Points: 4,139, Level: 40 Points: 4,139, Level: 40
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Meat, Milk,
My Mood: Sleepy
skids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beast

Ha Ha that's quite funny.

However I have been known to do Kettlebell swings, and for me the most amazing thing happened.

After some months of solid training, I could touch my own toes without bending my knees

A little insignificant I know, but for a man that can barely touch his own knees it rates as a full blown miracle.
skids is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-10-2014, 09:25 PM   #58
Soldier
Soldier
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
Ha Ha that's quite funny.

However I have been known to do Kettlebell swings, and for me the most amazing thing happened.

After some months of solid training, I could touch my own toes without bending my knees

A little insignificant I know, but for a man that can barely touch his own knees it rates as a full blown miracle.
Kettlebell swings are possibly the single best movement for lengthening the hamstrings. I'm currently doing heavy kettlebell swings (90lb, the heaviest kettlebell to which I have access) as assistance during every squat session.

That's part of the issue. Kettlebells are meant to be used explosively and with heavy weights (when possible, of course). But no one seems to get that over here.
Goals-
Win.

Share with Facebook
Old 04-10-2014, 09:34 PM   #59
skids
skids
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 4,139, Level: 40 Points: 4,139, Level: 40 Points: 4,139, Level: 40
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Meat, Milk,
My Mood: Sleepy
skids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beast

Quote:
Kettlebell swings are possibly the single best movement for lengthening the hamstrings. I'm currently doing heavy kettlebell swings (90lb, the heaviest kettlebell to which I have access) as assistance during every squat session.

That's part of the issue. Kettlebells are meant to be used explosively and with heavy weights (when possible, of course). But no one seems to get that over here.

Yeah I think that is the trick to them, I would go as heavy as I can, I worked up to using a 105 pound bell for around 10 sets of 10 or 10 sets of 20, cant remember off hand

I never felt any stronger, ever, but like I said I could touch my toes
skids is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-10-2014, 09:35 PM   #60
Soldier
Soldier
Max Brawn

Goals-
Win.

Share with Facebook