Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 11-13-2013, 03:27 PM   #21
SCStrong
SCStrong
Is where the wild things are.
Max Brawn
Points: 3,316, Level: 35 Points: 3,316, Level: 35 Points: 3,316, Level: 35
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: Not long enough
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: The heavy ones
Fav Supp: The flesh of many animals
My Mood: Brooding
SCStrong is a lifting beastSCStrong is a lifting beastSCStrong is a lifting beastSCStrong is a lifting beastSCStrong is a lifting beastSCStrong is a lifting beastSCStrong is a lifting beastSCStrong is a lifting beastSCStrong is a lifting beastSCStrong is a lifting beastSCStrong is a lifting beast

I tried to avoid commenting on this but ..... nope !!!

You write:
"If I were a religious man, though? I'd return it. I know how those people think." They look for opportunities to show god's grace by doing the right thing, and the bigger the better. Does that make them better than me? Nope."

First - you are right no is better than anyone else.

But if you are not a religous man then, how can you claim, to know " how "those" people think ? I am a Christian and I do not claim to know how you or any other person, religous or not, thinks.

I, as a man, am not capable of demonstrating God's grace- He alone can do that and ( please place emphasis on the word "I")

I, try to do the right thing not because I am trying to demonstrate His Grace but rather my own submission, to the will of God - for we are saved by grace, not works, lest no man can boast ( paraphrased )

I believe that good works demonstrate my faith they do not justify it. I am not trying to earn cotton candy or funnel cakes as you say, by doing good things -

I try to do good things because I have faith in a God who provides them to me and believ that by doing these things I am being obidient.

Faith without works is a dead faith ( again, paphrased) I am not trying to earn my way to Heaven - I do not have that power but am rather granted that grace through God's gift of salvation.

I, for the record- believe that I am saved by Christ's sacrifice not by my works.

I do the wrong thing alot !

I admire your honesty and feel you are certainly, welcome to your opinion
( athough I would call to question the "ethical and well thought out" perspective of your actions) .

I EVEN AGREE with you that anyone, (even the faithful ) would be tempted, to keep the money.

That being said, I have to ask -Why do you seem to have such a case of the ass, for those of us who practice a faith ? Again, you are welcome to your opinion - I am just curious.

On a side note - hats off to the Rabbi for doing ( what he thought ) was the right thing. The right thing is usually a hard thing to do.

7 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2013, 05:44 PM   #22
Tannhauser
Tannhauser
reads long boring books
Max Brawn
Points: 128,674, Level: 100 Points: 128,674, Level: 100 Points: 128,674, Level: 100
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
Case in point, I read about a study that showed that hot showers reduce testosterone levels. I've also heard that hot water increases inflamation, which sounds bad, but then I read that inflamation is good as long as it isn't acute. Anyways, I find hot showers relaxing. Extremely relaxing. And they help me sleep. And being relaxed, avoiding stress and getting good sleep are all supposed to be good for your hormonal profile. So should I take hot showers or not? I think this one goes over the line and gets filed in the "screw it, I'm not going to worry about it" file.

All I can say is this; if you find yourself stressing about your beloved hot showers and how they might affect your free test levels, you probably need someone to slap you in the face and tell you to settle the hell down. You also need to go do some squats, because while you were contemplating the latest controversial studies your friends were all lifting, eating, and getting stronger than you.
Agreed.

Here's the thing about scientific studies.

Science is the most cautious of all human endeavours. It works by replicating findings again and again and again, in a slow accretion of evidence. In most cases, if you've got one study showing X affects Y, what you've got is just an interesting finding that might in the long term turn into a provisional conclusion, that might - with a few more replications - turn into something more definite. Many initial findings fail to be replicated.

But most people reporting on science either don't know or don't care about this. They're drumming up web traffic or newspaper sales by writing interesting copy. 'Hot showers reduce testosterone' sells better than 'Preliminary study suggests that testosterone might decrease after hot showers, subject to replication, and by the way whether this is of any real physiological significance is another question.'

I think you're right not to lose any sleep over it. Most of this stuff makes almost zero difference to real world lifting or life.

"The proper study of mankind is books" - Aldous Huxley
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 11-13-2013, 07:21 PM   #23
Dray
Dray
is in ur base building
Max Brawn
Points: 6,987, Level: 55 Points: 6,987, Level: 55 Points: 6,987, Level: 55
Activity: 60% Activity: 60% Activity: 60%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: deadlift
Fav Supp: wpc
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

Quote:
If I were a religious man, though? I'd return it. I know how those people think. They look for opportunities to show god's grace by doing the right thing, and the bigger the better. Does that make them better than me? Nope.
Religious people and irreligious people can sometimes be VERY different from one another. But sometimes religious people and other religious people are very different from one another, and sometimes irreligious people and other irreligious people are very different from one another. Cosmology/philosophy/faith-based bigotry is based in generalizations, and it IS possible to acknowledge that there are some differences between people of different cosmologies/philosophies/faiths and cultural backgrounds without generalizing those differences.

Share with Facebook
Old 11-13-2013, 07:52 PM   #24
Ryano
Ryano
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 5,353, Level: 47 Points: 5,353, Level: 47 Points: 5,353, Level: 47

Training Exp: 30
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: Buttweiser
Ryano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master member

I think you disagreed with me....so you know you are wrong....and Bev knows what I mean!

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 11-16-2013, 01:11 PM   #25
Soldier
Soldier
gets crabby on low carb days.
Max Brawn
Points: 11,794, Level: 71 Points: 11,794, Level: 71 Points: 11,794, Level: 71
Activity: 42% Activity: 42% Activity: 42%

Training Exp: On and off for 15 years.
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Doubtful
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

It's really awesome that you guys responded. I agree that it was great that the Rabbi did the right thing, and the whole spiel about "religious people" is definitely a generalization.

I do have to add, however, that the reason I know how Christians generally think is because I spent the first 20 years of my life as a passionate Christian.

My whole goal with expressing my thoughts is to get people to think and discuss.
Deadlift- 515
Total- 1325
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-16-2013, 01:15 PM   #26
Soldier
Soldier
Max Brawn

Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

A thought on diet;

What most people think of as hunger is actually thirst. Thirst often manifests itself through the same feeling we think of as hunger. That's one of the reasons why it's so important to stay hydrated when cutting. If you are hydrated then you've made a huge step towards preventing hunger which will make the whole process much easier.

Staying hydrated also has so many benefits that we never talk about. It even helps your skin stay bright and clear. Most bodily functions are hindered if the body is not properly hydrated.
Deadlift- 515
Total- 1325

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 11-16-2013, 01:17 PM   #27
Soldier
Soldier
Max Brawn

A quick thanks to everyone for understanding that these are just small thoughts I've had and not taking them too seriously. These are not expressions of my personal beliefs, but rather mostly passing fancies.
Deadlift- 515
Total- 1325

Share with Facebook
Old 11-16-2013, 01:27 PM   #28
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Quote:
Black people and white people can sometimes be VERY different from one another. But sometimes white people and other white people are very different from one another, and sometimes black people and other black people are very different from one another. Racism is based in generalizations, and it IS possible to acknowledge that there are some differences between people of different races and cultural backgrounds without generalizing those differences.
I don't see people in terms of race, I see people as individuals and base my views on those individuals...people within the same family can all be different but even then we see them tarred with the same brush by teachers, neighbours etc...and that's at the basest level before we even get to counties and countries and race...it's just sad and ridiculous.

Why should people consider that a person is of race X just because they happen to be born one side of a man-drawn line on a map? That's just a general question, not personal. County lines in the UK are from time to time being redrawn for political gain and although that's at a county level, you'll still see one county against another in terms of their thinking of the other people from the county that they would have been part of had the lines remained in their original places.

Share with Facebook
Old 11-17-2013, 06:15 PM   #29
SCStrong
SCStrong
Is where the wild things are.
Max Brawn
Points: 3,316, Level: 35 Points: 3,316, Level: 35 Points: 3,316, Level: 35

Training Exp: Not long enough
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: The heavy ones
Fav Supp: The flesh of many animals
My Mood: Brooding
SCStrong is a lifting beastSCStrong is a lifting beastSCStrong is a lifting beastSCStrong is a lifting beastSCStrong is a lifting beastSCStrong is a lifting beastSCStrong is a lifting beastSCStrong is a lifting beastSCStrong is a lifting beastSCStrong is a lifting beastSCStrong is a lifting beast

Quote:
It's really awesome that you guys responded. I agree that it was great that the Rabbi did the right thing, and the whole spiel about "religious people" is definitely a generalization.

I do have to add, however, that the reason I know how Christians generally think is because I spent the first 20 years of my life as a passionate Christian.

My whole goal with expressing my thoughts is to get people to think and discuss.
... fair enough- if I may ask, what turned you away ?( feel free to PM me - I am just curious - i ain't gonna "preach" at ya )

Share with Facebook
Old 11-17-2013, 08:43 PM   #30
Soldier
Soldier
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCStrong View Post
... fair enough- if I may ask, what turned you away ?( feel free to PM me - I am just curious - i ain't gonna "preach" at ya )
Much of my reasoning is philosophical and by it's nature could come across as disrespectful if not completely offensive, so it's not really something I get into in places like this. But the thing that started me down the road was learning about different religions in college. I was confronted by the similarities between so many different belief systems and what I learned started me down a line of logic that lead to my current beliefs, or lack there-of.
Deadlift- 515
Total- 1325

Share with Facebook