Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 07-28-2014, 10:53 AM   #1
ObxBear
ObxBear
has no status.
ObxBear
Points: 94, Level: 1 Points: 94, Level: 1 Points: 94, Level: 1
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 25
Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
My Mood: Amused
ObxBear is new to the forumObxBear is new to the forum
Default Okay....My Bench STINKS!!!

I am officially stuck... I have been using the 5-3-1 method for the past 5 months and have had steady gains in both the Squat & DL. My Bench, however, is stuck. I'm open to suggestions... I'm thinking about going to heavy singles, but I'm worried that the lack of volume will hurt more than it helps.
ObxBear is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2014, 11:09 AM   #2
Squatter
Squatter
is a Crazy Canuck
Squatatron
Max Brawn
Points: 27,599, Level: 98 Points: 27,599, Level: 98 Points: 27,599, Level: 98
Activity: 64% Activity: 64% Activity: 64%

Training Exp: 20 Years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat & Deadlift
Fav Supp: Collagen
My Mood: Happy
Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!

I think most issues on bench are technique/tightness related. If possible, get a vid posted up as they are alot of strong benchers here. For example, are you getting leg drive?

Secondly, it could be food related. I think extra food benefits bench the most

Thirdly, looks like time to switch up routines. I wouldn't give up rep work though. Perhaps change your rep ranges, and even week to week, mixing in paused work as well.
Bench: 275 lbs
Deadlift: 501 lbs
Total: 1251 lbs

Gym PR's:
Squat: 495 lbs
Bench: 295 lbs
Deadlift: 510 lbs
Total: 1300 Lbs
Age 50
Squatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-28-2014, 11:38 AM   #3
EliteDreams
EliteDreams
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn
Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Steak
My Mood: Asleep
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squatter View Post
I think most issues on bench are technique/tightness related. If possible, get a vid posted up as they are alot of strong benchers here. For example, are you getting leg drive?

Secondly, it could be food related. I think extra food benefits bench the most

Thirdly, looks like time to switch up routines. I wouldn't give up rep work though. Perhaps change your rep ranges, and even week to week, mixing in paused work as well.
Yes.

Unless theres a big weakness in the shoulders or tris, you may just need to do some real high reps and shock yourself.

The gates of hell have been unlocked, headstones pushed aside!
EliteDreams is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-28-2014, 12:04 PM   #4
Paradox
Paradox
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 4,404, Level: 42 Points: 4,404, Level: 42 Points: 4,404, Level: 42
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Exp: July 2011 (competition)
Training Type: Sheiko
Paradox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObxBear View Post
I am officially stuck... I have been using the 5-3-1 method for the past 5 months and have had steady gains in both the Squat & DL. My Bench, however, is stuck. I'm open to suggestions... I'm thinking about going to heavy singles, but I'm worried that the lack of volume will hurt more than it helps.
5/3/1 is a bad program, if your goals are powerlifting. To not make any assumptions, what are your goals (other than an increased bench)?
The reason 5/3/1 isn't particularly good is the lack of volume and lack of frequency. Heck, even the lack of intensity is concerning. I know, I know, there are modifications you can make.
Although I personally think, and many others do as well, that the squat and deadlift benefit from at least 2x week training, it is almost necessary on the bench press.
Start benching 2x per week (or more), start benching for more than 1 top set and <= 5 downsets, and increase your intensity a lot.

Of course, what others have said is also very important. Get a video of your bench up for technique critique, and if all else fails EAT. The bench probably responds the most (in terms of Sq/B/DL) of all the lifts to weight gain.
Best Total 645kg
Paradox is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-28-2014, 12:13 PM   #5
dzarello
dzarello
5/3/1
Italian Proud
Max Brawn
Points: 6,722, Level: 53 Points: 6,722, Level: 53 Points: 6,722, Level: 53
Activity: 35% Activity: 35% Activity: 35%

Training Exp: 2 years
Fav Exercise: Squats/Deads
Fav Supp: Food
My Mood: Lurking
dzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master member

I agree with Squatter on technique/tightness. Most issues come down to form. As he has already recommended, post of video of you benching. People will be able to break down your form and make suggestions.

Food could be another as Squatter pointed out. How is the diet?

Maybe since you are 5 months into 5/3/1, try taking a couple steps back. Drop your training number for bench back to Cycle 3 or 4 and work back up. 5 up 2 back is what Wendler recommends anyway.

Switching up routines might work. If you have Wendlers new book "Beyond 5/3/1" I would recommend reading up on Joker Sets and First Set Last. The Joker sets will give you those heavy singles you mentioned. The First Set Last will give you the additional volume that could benefit you. Doing the FSL sets paused would help tremendously.

Do not give up. A lot of us here struggle with bench too. The best thing to do, is just keep hammering away. Eventually you will start chipping it away and before you know it a huge bench PR. PM me if you have any other questions.

I just want a place where I can be left alone to get strong and work off some aggression.
-Dave Tate-

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.
-Eleanor Roosevelt-

dzarello is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-28-2014, 12:22 PM   #6
bamazav
bamazav
Dog House Training, home of the WalkerDips!Geezers Rule!
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
My Mood: Amazed
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Technique and form often contribute, but I think all too often we fail to look at biomechanics. My bench is horrible, I have had someone working on form and technique with me. I know that my misses of late have all been form related, but that said, my numbers are still lower than others. Why? I have gorrilla length arms. My long arms are a detriment no matter how spot on my form is. I will always have a loooong range of motion. I am finally just learning to accept that this is how God made me. It helps my pulling, hurts my pushing. It just is what it is.

2014 100%RAW American Challenge, May 31, 2014:
Squat 292
Bench 176
Deadlift 375 PR
Total - 843 at 50 yrs 199.6 lbs

Shooting for a 900+ total for next meet. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-28-2014, 03:24 PM   #7
J_Byrd
J_Byrd
on a mission
Max Brawn
Points: 21,210, Level: 91 Points: 21,210, Level: 91 Points: 21,210, Level: 91
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Spider Solitare Four Suit Champion! Pick Up Sticks 3D Champion!
Tournaments Won: 3

Training Exp: 15
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
5/3/1 is a bad program, if your goals are powerlifting. To not make any assumptions, what are your goals (other than an increased bench)?
The reason 5/3/1 isn't particularly good is the lack of volume and lack of frequency. Heck, even the lack of intensity is concerning. I know, I know, there are modifications you can make.
Although I personally think, and many others do as well, that the squat and deadlift benefit from at least 2x week training, it is almost necessary on the bench press.
Start benching 2x per week (or more), start benching for more than 1 top set and <= 5 downsets, and increase your intensity a lot.

Of course, what others have said is also very important. Get a video of your bench up for technique critique, and if all else fails EAT. The bench probably responds the most (in terms of Sq/B/DL) of all the lifts to weight gain.
I agree 5/3/1 isnt a great program, but you lost me there. I rarely train anyone more than 1 time a week in any of the big 3. I am a firm believer that if you do it right the first time you want need to do it again.

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-28-2014, 05:45 PM   #8
Paradox
Paradox
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 4,404, Level: 42 Points: 4,404, Level: 42 Points: 4,404, Level: 42
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Exp: July 2011 (competition)
Training Type: Sheiko
Paradox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Byrd View Post
I agree 5/3/1 isnt a great program, but you lost me there. I rarely train anyone more than 1 time a week in any of the big 3. I am a firm believer that if you do it right the first time you want need to do it again.
We will obviously agree to disagree here? lol
Best Total 645kg
Paradox is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-28-2014, 06:57 PM   #9
WilldBill88
WilldBill88
is Hungry!
King of The Cowboys
Max Brawn
Points: 5,489, Level: 47 Points: 5,489, Level: 47 Points: 5,489, Level: 47
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 2 Years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Food
My Mood: Yeehaw
WilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beast

What does a typical bench day look like? It may not necessarily be the program, it could be exercise selection, what are you doing to help your bench? Are you adressing sticking points, weak areas, using bench variations? Also, maybe taking a step back and getting in some rep work in with lighter weight... I'm not experinced as the other guys here but, just throwing out some ideas...

Share with Facebook
Old 07-29-2014, 08:17 AM   #10
ObxBear
ObxBear
has no status.
ObxBear
Points: 94, Level: 1 Points: 94, Level: 1 Points: 94, Level: 1
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 25
My Mood: Amused
ObxBear is new to the forumObxBear is new to the forum

Wow, thanks for all the gerat feedback! I will post a video asap and look foward to any suggestions you may have on form. As far as what my goals are, I'm working towards a 400lb bench (with a pause). I'm at 352 right now. I train 5 days a week. Squatting twice a week. Here's what my week looks like:

Mon-Squat
Tue-Shoulders
Wed-Deads
Thur-Front Squats
Fri-Bench
My assistance work on Bench consists of incline and close grip bench along with dips and skull crushers or JM Presses

Thanks again to all who have taken the time to lend a hand!
ObxBear is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook