Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 11-10-2013, 02:01 AM   #1
Renton
Renton
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 1,024, Level: 17 Points: 1,024, Level: 17 Points: 1,024, Level: 17
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 3 years+
Fav Exercise: front squat
Fav Supp: whey protein
Renton has made some good postsRenton has made some good postsRenton has made some good postsRenton has made some good postsRenton has made some good postsRenton has made some good postsRenton has made some good postsRenton has made some good posts
Default Form check please

I was hoping to get some input on my form for squats and deadlift. I've been weightlifting about 3 years but it's only been the last year I have got interested in powerlifting. It's been difficult because I don't know anyone who squats or deadlifts so I have had to teach myself and made plenty of mistakes along the way. I had my deadlift up to about 280 but backed down to around 220 since I was rounding too much. I only recently got my squat up to 200, I feel the first rep was decent but I almost didn't finish the second and sort of good morning it up. I am 6-3 and find squating a bit of a challenge so I have tried both high and low bar and find low bar feels best for squating. http://youtu.be/eNP0RRyv_Io
http://youtu.be/T5O-caG7EvM

Last edited by Renton; 11-10-2013 at 02:04 AM.
Renton is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2013, 06:59 AM   #2
BravenFenix
BravenFenix
is after a x8 BW total
Max Brawn
Points: 2,930, Level: 33 Points: 2,930, Level: 33 Points: 2,930, Level: 33
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 04/2013
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Flavorless Whey
My Mood: Lurking
BravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributor

All that matters is moving forward.

Squat: Try to turn your elbow and get it closer under the bar..it'll tighten you lats (fire those hard) and your chest stays up a lot more.

Deadlift: You'll find a head position you like, but being neutral makes it feel lighter for me since im tighter. Also, if you lower head (look at one position and keep it there) while pulling. it'll be easier since the bar moves a couple inches less.
BravenFenix is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-10-2013, 10:00 AM   #3
Renton
Renton
has no status.
Brawn

Renton has made some good postsRenton has made some good postsRenton has made some good postsRenton has made some good postsRenton has made some good postsRenton has made some good postsRenton has made some good postsRenton has made some good posts

Thanks, yeah I didn't notice until I saw myself filmed how my head pulls back so much during deadlift. Filming myself lifting has helped a lot I find.

Share with Facebook
Old 11-10-2013, 10:59 AM   #4
Soldier
Soldier
is judging you.
Max Brawn
Points: 14,544, Level: 78 Points: 14,544, Level: 78 Points: 14,544, Level: 78
Activity: 53% Activity: 53% Activity: 53%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Inspired
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

It's obvious that you've been told that arching your back is important. Unfortunately, you're really overdoing it, especially on the squat. I did a google image search for "raw squat", and these were the first 3 results that showed the bottom position-

Like I said, these were the first 3 results, so you'll know that I didn't go out of my way to find pics that support what I'm saying. All 3 of these guys are big lifters, and not a single one is arching their back. Instead they are all well braced. They do this by tightening both the lower back and the abs prior to and throughout the lift. They are all, however, leading with their heads, so don't think that I'm suggesting you do the opposite and arching and bend over. Keep a tight core all the way around and a neutral spine and I think you'll have good results.

Also, start working on bringing your elbows down to your sides in your squat setup. It's going to take some work to get to the point where it feels natural or even stable, but it's a good change to make. feel like your holding the bar on the upper part of your lats instead of your shoulders or arms. Use your lats to pull your arms into your sides. Not only will this bring your elbows down, it will also help to tighten your upper back, which is the whole point.

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 11-10-2013, 01:46 PM   #5
afraziaaaa
afraziaaaa
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 2,977, Level: 33 Points: 2,977, Level: 33 Points: 2,977, Level: 33
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: Whey Protein
afraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renton View Post
I was hoping to get some input on my form for squats and deadlift. I've been weightlifting about 3 years but it's only been the last year I have got interested in powerlifting. It's been difficult because I don't know anyone who squats or deadlifts so I have had to teach myself and made plenty of mistakes along the way. I had my deadlift up to about 280 but backed down to around 220 since I was rounding too much. I only recently got my squat up to 200, I feel the first rep was decent but I almost didn't finish the second and sort of good morning it up. I am 6-3 and find squating a bit of a challenge so I have tried both high and low bar and find low bar feels best for squating. http://youtu.be/eNP0RRyv_Io
http://youtu.be/T5O-caG7EvM
Squat:
1. Your center of gravity is too far forward. For now, think about starting your squat at the hips first and letting your knees bend naturally instead of starting your squat with a knee bend. This will help you sit back and then down into your squat and keep your weight shifted toward the back of your foot.
2. You've got some craziness going on with your arms/elbows. What's up with that? Build your shelf by getting a tight upper back and keeping it that way. Don't use your arms as the main part of your shelf, it will just pull you out of position like it did on the second rep.
3. I'm also going to venture a guess that you aren't wide enough with your stance. It is hard to tell from the side, but judging from your excessive forward knee travel, it is probable that your knee and ankle joints are not aligned straight up and down (when looking from the front). This sort of alignment is ideal for most squatters.

Deadlift:
Looked pretty good from the side. Personally, I'd like to a see a closer view from the front to look at your joint positioning.
afraziaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-10-2013, 02:47 PM   #6
Renton
Renton
has no status.
Brawn

Yeah I can see how my elbows are pushing me too far forward, will work on keeping them down. After watching this video on grip I was trying a different method but I ended up making things worse I guess.http://youtu.be/g2tyOLvArw0
I will make another video in a few days with the tips you guys suggested and see how it looks, thanks.

Last edited by Renton; 11-10-2013 at 02:54 PM.

Share with Facebook
Old 11-11-2013, 10:29 AM   #7
afraziaaaa
afraziaaaa
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 2,977, Level: 33 Points: 2,977, Level: 33 Points: 2,977, Level: 33
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Fav Supp: Whey Protein
afraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renton View Post
Yeah I can see how my elbows are pushing me too far forward, will work on keeping them down. After watching this video on grip I was trying a different method but I ended up making things worse I guess.http://youtu.be/g2tyOLvArw0
I will make another video in a few days with the tips you guys suggested and see how it looks, thanks.
I am not a fan of the Rippetoe squatting technique. He is an accomplished strength coach and I am not, but I have found that his method of gripping the bar is not only not optimal for me, but is actually detrimental to my health. Too much stress on the biceps, shoulders and elbows. I was battling constant pain in my brachialis tendons and elbows due to the pressure caused by bearing a lot of the load on my back with my arms.

I eventually changed to resting the bar on my scapula with a mid-bar position. I bear very little to none of the load with my arms while squatting now and my overuse injuries are healed and I am pain free.

Check this video by Paul Carter for the best (in my opinion) grip method. Fixing your low bar squat - YouTube
afraziaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 11-11-2013, 11:04 AM   #8
Dray
Dray
is squatting again! : )
Max Brawn
Points: 10,090, Level: 67 Points: 10,090, Level: 67 Points: 10,090, Level: 67
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: squat
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afraziaaaa View Post
Check this video by Paul Carter for the best (in my opinion) grip method. Fixing your low bar squat - YouTube
Seconded. Rip's method is how I tried to learn squatting when I started lifting. Didn't like it at all, so switched to high bar (Rip's PoV on that be damned ) and continued that way happily for some months.

Then, one day, I decided to try low bar again, in case I was missing out on some gainz (lol, but it turned out that yes, I probably was), and hurt myself trying the same old technique as before. :/

Then I discovered Paul Carter's advice, and have done them that way ever since, without injury or even pain.

Mind you, I'm still a bit of a n00b. But hey, thought this might still be relevant.

My training log

Last edited by Dray; 11-11-2013 at 11:06 AM.
Dray is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-11-2013, 11:27 AM   #9
fenrisulfr
fenrisulfr
Tired of lifting these baby weights.
Peanut Butter Member
Max Brawn
Points: 10,620, Level: 68 Points: 10,620, Level: 68 Points: 10,620, Level: 68
Activity: 24% Activity: 24% Activity: 24%

Training Exp: 3.5
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Chicken breast
My Mood: Tired
fenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite member

Rippetoe's squat instruction exploded my squat up. Just depends on the person I guess. The grip method has been an obstacle for many reasons.
fenrisulfr is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-11-2013, 12:35 PM   #10
Renton
Renton
has no status.
Brawn

Of all the lifts squats have to be the hardest to master, so many things to remember and they seem different depending on the person and how they are built. I realize mine still needs a lot of work but I'm pleased that I always manage to hit paralell or lower since I see so many guys at the gym load up the bar with huge weight and then do little quarter squats.

Share with Facebook