Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 03-05-2014, 12:39 AM   #1
Davis
Davis
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 4,207, Level: 41 Points: 4,207, Level: 41 Points: 4,207, Level: 41
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 1 day
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: More deadlifts
Davis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beast
Default Mentality

This evening, I went in to squat. I typically squat on Monday rather than Tuesday, but the gym closed early yesterday. When I go into lift, I have a pretty clear idea of how many sets and reps I'll be able to hit that day. Of course, surprises come, but today was no different. I knew I had worked a midnight shift, got 5 hours of sleep, and had way fewer than 100g of carbs(I'd assume I eat up to 300g a day most days), but in my mind, my performance wouldn't be hindered.

I get to the gym, warm up. My friend tells me my form isn't as solid as normal- primarily the bar moving forward. I spent from 225-460 thinking about doing it perfect each time. My mind was no longer focused on hitting 460 for 4 or 5 reps.(5 being quite a longshot, but 4 was certainly doable) So what happened? I walked out 460. My walkout was the worst walkout I believe I've ever done. My stance was wider than normal, and the weight shifted forward a lot. 2 reps. I should have had 2 easily, but I struggled with them. Despite thinking of every minute detail I know, I squatted horribly.

Then I did 385 paused for 3x3. Form was a little better, but still bad. The only thing I had really done right at this point was keeping my knees out.

I decided to start with the bar, and go up some in weight just to get some technique work in. Bar and 135 were great. I got up to 225, and still thinking of every cue I know, I had awful walkouts and squats with it. 225! I say down, and thought of calling it a night; knowing that I could do better next week. Then, just before I stripped the plates, I decided to just squat, and think of nothing other than crushing 225. I did. 275..315.. Then 405x3 for some solid, strong reps. To hell with it, 460. As I had done in the past few attempts, all I thought of was getting tight in the set up. Walked out to my normal stance, and squatted two reps easier than the first time.

What happened? I quit thinking, and I did what I knew. I don't encourage anyone to approach a lift lightly, and without any use of brains. In fact, my last lift of the day was approached aggressively, with self-cues in my most troublesome areas. No more was I thinking "Head back, elbows down, air, step, step, step, shit I'm off balance, hips back, knees out, knees out, chest up, elbows down, elbows down..." In a nutshell, "Get tight, squat", was my thought process.

In the first round of squats, my over thinking caused awful technique, weakness, and a nearly awful day. When I decided to simply do as I always do, my squats were strong. Albeit, the top set wasn't what I wanted(4 reps), but I had already done the planned squats for the day.

I've had to learn this lesson before, and I hope I don't have to again. A couple of take away points:
1. Technique is crucial, but over thinking during the lift is harmful.
2. Getting a mentality of simply doing the lift as strong as possible will carry you very far, even when you've already fatigued yourself.

Shooting for a couple of 5 rep PR's this week. We'll see if I can't throw my thoughts out the window during those lifts.
Davis is offline   Reply With Quote

4 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2014, 01:07 AM   #2
Sandbox
Sandbox
has no status.
Uber Brawn
Points: 2,278, Level: 28 Points: 2,278, Level: 28 Points: 2,278, Level: 28
Activity: 19% Activity: 19% Activity: 19%

Training Exp: 28
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Dead Cow
Sandbox is a dedicated contributorSandbox is a dedicated contributorSandbox is a dedicated contributorSandbox is a dedicated contributorSandbox is a dedicated contributorSandbox is a dedicated contributorSandbox is a dedicated contributorSandbox is a dedicated contributorSandbox is a dedicated contributorSandbox is a dedicated contributorSandbox is a dedicated contributor

Good take aways Davis. Free your mind and smash those 5 reps out.
Sandbox is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-05-2014, 06:39 AM   #3
ravimolasaria
ravimolasaria
Wanted to be as strong as a polar bear ...
Max Brawn
Points: 27,316, Level: 97 Points: 27,316, Level: 97 Points: 27,316, Level: 97
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Training Exp: 10
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Whatever makes me strong
My Mood: Yeehaw
ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!

Yo will certainly have that 5 repper ... Get it next time ...

Share with Facebook
Old 03-05-2014, 10:11 AM   #4
fyremn
fyremn
has no status.
New Brawn
Points: 631, Level: 12 Points: 631, Level: 12 Points: 631, Level: 12
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Food
fyremn has made some good postsfyremn has made some good postsfyremn has made some good postsfyremn has made some good postsfyremn has made some good postsfyremn has made some good postsfyremn has made some good postsfyremn has made some good postsfyremn has made some good postsfyremn has made some good postsfyremn has made some good posts

Thanks for posting this.. I have been doing the same thing lately.. Thinking myself right out of getting the work done. It is frustrating as hell, I shot a video of myself squatting and then critiqued myself to death and couldn't concentrate..

Finally had to do the same as you and just keep it simple and lift.
fyremn is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-05-2014, 10:20 AM   #5
J_Byrd
J_Byrd
is the bomb!
Max Brawn
Points: 21,155, Level: 91 Points: 21,155, Level: 91 Points: 21,155, Level: 91
Activity: 24% Activity: 24% Activity: 24%

Spider Solitare Four Suit Champion! Pick Up Sticks 3D Champion!
Tournaments Won: 3

Training Exp: 15
Fav Exercise: Squat
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

The key with any big movement like that is to become so ingrain in your form that it is natural. I have a mental check list that I do as I set up and approach the bar. Once that happens my mind/motor pattern takes over. I have done so many reps that I no longer have to think about it. It just happens. That is what you experianced. You no longer need to think about it, you are doing the correct things.

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-05-2014, 10:24 AM   #6
Squatter
Squatter
is a Crazy Canuck
Squatatron
Max Brawn
Points: 27,486, Level: 98 Points: 27,486, Level: 98 Points: 27,486, Level: 98
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Training Exp: 20 Years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat & Deadlift
Fav Supp: Collagen
My Mood: Happy
Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!

Indeed, you have to have faith and confidence in the skills you have developed over the years, and that usually your body will just naturally deliver good form. I quickly think of a couple of form cues after unracking, then clear my mind as I focus on a spot on the wall, and then just do it.

Nice post Davis. That is how you get it done.
Bench: 275 lbs
Deadlift: 501 lbs
Total: 1251 lbs

Gym PR's:
Squat: 495 lbs
Bench: 295 lbs
Deadlift: 510 lbs
Total: 1300 Lbs
Age 50
Squatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-05-2014, 11:43 PM   #7
zach90
zach90
getin stronger daily
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,786, Level: 24 Points: 1,786, Level: 24 Points: 1,786, Level: 24
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 6 years
Fav Exercise: curls... lol jk DEADS
Fav Supp: moe food
zach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributor

as some other people have mentioned after doing 1000s and 1000s of reps the motor patterns become so ingrained that they become natural and we do not have to really think about it anymore and when we do think about it it actually becomes a hinderance. the same can be said for other daily activities. next time you are driving and you have a passenger try to explain what you are doing to them, driving just became a whole lot more complicated
zach90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook