Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:01 AM   #1
LindenGarcia18
LindenGarcia18
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 7,472, Level: 57 Points: 7,472, Level: 57 Points: 7,472, Level: 57
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
My Mood: Happy
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast
Default Taking time out, need some advice.

Hi everyone.

Iv'e decided to take a few days or maybe a week out to sort some problems and recover from an injury.

Things haven't been going great with my routine in the last couple of weeks.

For starters, I injured my back doing deadlifts. Nothing serious, just something I've realized now isn't going to gt any better until I take an extra bit of time away from the gym to let it heal.
It recovers slightly on my off days, but then when it comes to my workout again it goes back to how it was, and I'd rather let it heal than swap around all my exercises for less effective ones.
The injury meant I wasn't able to do deadlifts, bent over rows, or squats effectively, and even one arm rows we're causing pain too.

BtB recommended I shoot some form videos and post them on here, because the reason the injury occurred in the first place btb says was likely form related.
The vids are shot, I just have to find some mp4. format video sharing drivers to get it on here. (Mac's are difficult for that reason.)

My timetable then changed at college and threw everything off, and I've been playing meal catchup for the last 2 weeks trying to sort it out, which is really just point less.
Consequently I've missed meals here there and everywhere, haven't been gaining the weight, etc;

Then of course that followed onto my workout and had an adverse effect there.
My food wasn't right, so my strength gains suffered. and I haven't been getting stronger like I normally was.

To top things off, I also have an injury in both my wrists, which isn't getting any better until I let it heal and give the weights that are causing it a break

I hoped I could push through the injures, but I have to make the decision as to weather I should carry on, or weather its just going to do more damage, and I realize now the latter is the case.
They can't heal until I take a break.

Me JB and BtB we're also talking the other night in the shoutbox about rest periods, and they said a week off after 12 weeks of continuous lifting is a good idea.

Its been around 5 months since I took a week out, so I think nows the time.

I just want to come back at it without this other crap, I've sorted my timetable now so thats one thing out of the way.

The reason I'm making this thread is to ask in general, about taking some time out.

What do I need to do in the meantime? Should I carry on eating on a surplus or dial it back abit?

Will I lose weight if I dropped the calories while I'm doing this?

Is there anything I should make sure I do during this time to fully recuperate before hitting the weights again?

Just need same general advice.

I touched on this before, and know a little bit about it from what BtB told me a few months back when I went on holiday, but I'm still somewhat in the dark seen as its a different situation.

If you could help me out that'd be great.

Cheers

- Linden
LindenGarcia18 is online now   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2013, 08:24 AM   #2
Ramrod
Ramrod
Reviews.com
Max Brawn
Points: 5,574, Level: 48 Points: 5,574, Level: 48 Points: 5,574, Level: 48
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: 12
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: FOOD
My Mood: Doh
Ramrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master member

You can keep the same diet if it's easier for you, but cutting it back a tad isn't going to hurt anything. Just don't cut it below maintenance.

If you have the money. Pick up some of this stuff.
http://www.soakfitness.com/

If your on a budget good old epsom salt for Baths.. These do help some..

Foam roll and keep moving, just don't sit or lay around during the time off. You'll be stiff and it makes it harder to get back into the groove of things.

The first week back stay with a higher rep range. Then work back up to the heavier weights and lower reps...

I know some guys like ICE baths, but I've never tried it.
Ramrod is online now   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 12-03-2013, 08:59 AM   #3
Soldier
Soldier
is judging you.
Max Brawn
Points: 13,658, Level: 76 Points: 13,658, Level: 76 Points: 13,658, Level: 76
Activity: 46% Activity: 46% Activity: 46%

Training Exp: On and off for 15 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Doubtful
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Eat maintenance or just above, and don't worry too much if things don't look quite as good in the mirror. Your muscles will look a little deflated while you take time off, because they won't be holding as much fluid. Don't worry, one good workout and they'll pump right back up.

Don't beat yourself up about needing to take a little time off. Get better, do what you need to do to recover whether that be straight up rest or rehab type work (We can help you figure out which if you aren't sure), then get back to work.
Goals-
Win.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-03-2013, 12:57 PM   #4
jdmalm123
jdmalm123
one rep is plenty!
Less is More
Max Brawn
Points: 12,925, Level: 74 Points: 12,925, Level: 74 Points: 12,925, Level: 74
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Yeti Sports 1 Long Ass Shot Champion!
Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: All of 'em
Fav Supp: Milk shake
My Mood: Yeehaw
jdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite member

Tell me more about the pain when you deadlift...

Take a break now but, generally, do whatever you can without pain and/or do the other exercises that don't stress your injured area.

Start wrapping your wrists for workouts. Help your joints out if they have an old injury.

Agree with 12 weeks work + 1 week rest. Fits nicely in a year, too. I'm doing that going forward plus I have 3 increasing weeks and the 4th is a slight deload. Deload not necessary for all, but it's all about resting enough to see the strength and muscle gains come through. Always increasing will get you hurt, weak, and limit growth. Almost alll gains are made during the rest phases.

Eat normal. You have catch up to do and healing. Any extra food will build you up for the next wave.
"If you're not taking any risks, don't expect any rewards."
jdmalm123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-03-2013, 02:14 PM   #5
LindenGarcia18
LindenGarcia18
has no status.
Max Brawn

LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

Quote:
You can keep the same diet if it's easier for you, but cutting it back a tad isn't going to hurt anything. Just don't cut it below maintenance.
Quote:
If you have the money. Pick up some of this stuff.
http://www.soakfitness.com/

If your on a budget good old epsom salt for Baths.. These do help some..
They look really interesting. Shame they're not sold in the UK.
Would cost me quite abit more money to ship them, but if they work then its worth it.

Do the Epsom salts do the same thing? I have some of those.

If not, is there any alternative you know of? Then I can see if they're stocked in the UK.
If not I'll buy the ones you suggested.

Quote:
Foam roll and keep moving, just don't sit or lay around during the time off. You'll be stiff and it makes it harder to get back into the groove of things.
Good idea.

Thanks allot for the advice, really appreciate it.

-Linden

Share with Facebook
Old 12-03-2013, 02:22 PM   #6
LindenGarcia18
LindenGarcia18
has no status.
Max Brawn

Quote:
Eat maintenance or just above.
Right I understand.

This is, I never knew what my maintenance actually was.

This was one of the things I kept getting caught up on and over thinking when I first started, and first joined MaB.

BtB says at my age its impossible to know, and to just eat to satiety.
Which is what I've been doing.

I get just over 3k calories a day normally I think.

Should I just knock off a meal? How precise should I be, and how would I go about it?

Quote:
and don't worry too much if things don't look quite as good in the mirror. Your muscles will look a little deflated while you take time off, because they won't be holding as much fluid. Don't worry, one good workout and they'll pump right back up.
Ah yes, I remember you telling me about this, cheers for the heads up.

Quote:
Don't beat yourself up about needing to take a little time off. Get better, do what you need to do to recover whether that be straight up rest or rehab type work (We can help you figure out which if you aren't sure), then get back to work.
Yeah I think maybe I do need some help figuring that out, I don't really know what I'm doing.

I figured rest until I feel better? Likely a few days off or a full week.

Cheers for the advice man, appreciate it as always.

- Linden

Share with Facebook
Old 12-03-2013, 02:29 PM   #7
LindenGarcia18
LindenGarcia18
has no status.
Max Brawn

Quote:
Tell me more about the pain when you deadlift...
Well, it was caused by deadlift, and I've had to stop doing them for a couple of weeks.

Just a simple muscle pull I think. I've had it before.
I think in a couple days it'll go.

Its an ache and a sharp pain at the same time, lower back near the bottom of my spine.

Quote:
Take a break now but, generally, do whatever you can without pain and/or do the other exercises that don't stress your injured area.
Yeah that was always the way I looked at it since you told me before, but it was both my back and wrists that we're hurting, so that limited the amount of exercises I could do.
Guess there's only so many ways you can push and pul, and nearly allot them just made the injuries worse.

Quote:
Start wrapping your wrists for workouts. Help your joints out if they have an old injury.
I tried that and it didn't make any difference.
I must've wrapped them incorrectly.

Quote:
Agree with 12 weeks work + 1 week rest. Fits nicely in a year, too. I'm doing that going forward plus I have 3 increasing weeks and the 4th is a slight deload. Deload not necessary for all, but it's all about resting enough to see the strength and muscle gains come through. Always increasing will get you hurt, weak, and limit growth. Almost alll gains are made during the rest phases.
Exactly. I'm just going to look at it as grow time

Quote:
Eat normal. You have catch up to do and healing. Any extra food will build you up for the next wave.
Not sure what you mean, are you saying eat at maintenance when you say normally?
How do I go about catching up?

Thanks allot man, really the appreciate help.

- Linden

Share with Facebook
Old 12-03-2013, 03:29 PM   #8
jdmalm123
jdmalm123
one rep is plenty!
Less is More
Max Brawn
Points: 12,925, Level: 74 Points: 12,925, Level: 74 Points: 12,925, Level: 74
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Yeti Sports 1 Long Ass Shot Champion!
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: All of 'em
Fav Supp: Milk shake
My Mood: Yeehaw
jdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite member

Take a look at this: http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/sho...ighlight=wraps

Yes, eat maintenance or above. If you've missed meals for a while, there's no need to reduce calories. If your body needs to grow/repair muscle and tendons, then extra food is your ally.
"If you're not taking any risks, don't expect any rewards."
jdmalm123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-03-2013, 05:28 PM   #9
syn
syn
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 3,896, Level: 39 Points: 3,896, Level: 39 Points: 3,896, Level: 39
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: deadlift
Fav Supp: coffee
My Mood: Buzzed
syn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machine

Quote:
The vids are shot, I just have to find some mp4. format video sharing drivers to get it on here. (Mac's are difficult for that reason.)
http://handbrake.fr/downloads.php
this free software will be able to convert the videos for you, then upload to youtube, hope this helps
syn is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-03-2013, 05:52 PM   #10
Soldier
Soldier
is judging you.
Max Brawn
Points: 13,658, Level: 76 Points: 13,658, Level: 76 Points: 13,658, Level: 76
Activity: 46% Activity: 46% Activity: 46%

Training Exp: On and off for 15 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Doubtful
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Just eat a little less than you were while you were gaining. If you've been around 3k, then go to 2500-2800. Skip a snack here and there and you should be where you need to be.

When it comes to injury, as was said, don't do anything that hurts. Do some light experimenting after a little time off and see what you can and can't do. Do what you can to strengthen the area that hurts without causing pain and slowly work your way back to the point where you can go full speed again.

The lower back is a complex, fragile area. as part of your recovery you'll also want to develop the muscles that support that area that hurts. For the lower back that will mean strengthening the entire core. If you can do ab work, do it. Build your own, internal belt.

It takes patience, but pay attention and don't forget your injuries. If you're prone to hurt certain things, you'll need to continue to take that into account as you move forwards.
Goals-
Win.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook