Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 05-16-2014, 03:24 PM   #1
Geelong26
Geelong26
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 752, Level: 14 Points: 752, Level: 14 Points: 752, Level: 14
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Geelong26 has made some quality postsGeelong26 has made some quality postsGeelong26 has made some quality postsGeelong26 has made some quality postsGeelong26 has made some quality postsGeelong26 has made some quality posts
Default progression with bodyweight exercises ?

are bodyweight exercises less effective due to the fact that it can be hard to keep adding extra resistance or is this something that can easily be worked around ?

I have the following thought in my head

rows are better than pull ups for size and strength
bench presses are better than dips for size and strength
Romanian deadlifts are better than glute ham raises for size and strength

I don't think that bodyweight exercises are a waste of time ,just that they are not as effective as barbells and dumbbells, do others agree ?

thanks
Geelong26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2014, 03:48 PM   #2
Soldier
Soldier
gets crabby on low carb days.
Max Brawn
Points: 13,608, Level: 75 Points: 13,608, Level: 75 Points: 13,608, Level: 75
Activity: 39% Activity: 39% Activity: 39%

Training Exp: On and off for 15 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Doubtful
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

There are numerous parameters by which progress can be achieved. Practically any quatifiable value associated with training can be used to monitor progress.

Forms of progress-

1. Add weight.

2. Add total volume.

3. Add to the amount of work that is completed in a given time.

4. Complete the same amount of work but decrease rest times (similiar to #3).

5. Do the same volume but increase the difficulty of the movement. Examples of this would be doing pushups with the hands on blocks to increase the ROM, or doing dips with the lower body locked in place instead of using the lower body to help create momentum out of the bottom.

The only one of these that can't always be used for bodyweight work is #1.

Personally, I've seen great results from increasing overall volume. This is fairly easy with most bodyweight movements because you can do multiple sessions throughout the day. I increased my total pushups dramatically by doing many single sets of 10-25 reps spaced throughout the day. This is commonly refered to as "greasing the groove", and it works very well.
Goals-
Win.

Last edited by Soldier; 05-16-2014 at 07:52 PM.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 05-16-2014, 05:56 PM   #3
Adamite1114
Adamite1114
Is getting bigger.
Uber Brawn
Points: 2,356, Level: 29 Points: 2,356, Level: 29 Points: 2,356, Level: 29
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: on and off 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift, Squats
Fav Supp: Phosflex
My Mood: Mellow
Adamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributor

Weighty can be added to most "body weight" exercises using belts or holding dumbbell between your legs. Progress just like any other resistance movement.
Adamite1114 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 05-16-2014, 06:28 PM   #4
Sandbox
Sandbox
has no status.
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,865, Level: 25 Points: 1,865, Level: 25 Points: 1,865, Level: 25
Activity: 18% Activity: 18% Activity: 18%

Training Exp: 28
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Dead Cow
Sandbox is a dedicated contributorSandbox is a dedicated contributorSandbox is a dedicated contributorSandbox is a dedicated contributorSandbox is a dedicated contributorSandbox is a dedicated contributorSandbox is a dedicated contributorSandbox is a dedicated contributorSandbox is a dedicated contributorSandbox is a dedicated contributorSandbox is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geelong26 View Post
I don't think that bodyweight exercises are a waste of time ,just that they are not as effective as barbells and dumbbells, do others agree ?
I agree.
Sandbox is online now   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 06-04-2014, 08:33 PM   #5
JBWarren70
JBWarren70
Status, what status!?
GymRat
Brawn
Points: 490, Level: 9 Points: 490, Level: 9 Points: 490, Level: 9
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Curls brah!
Fav Supp: Skittles, Pizza, Proteinz
My Mood: Breezy
JBWarren70 has made some very good postsJBWarren70 has made some very good postsJBWarren70 has made some very good postsJBWarren70 has made some very good postsJBWarren70 has made some very good postsJBWarren70 has made some very good postsJBWarren70 has made some very good postsJBWarren70 has made some very good postsJBWarren70 has made some very good postsJBWarren70 has made some very good postsJBWarren70 has made some very good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geelong26 View Post

thanks
That's a given, but only to a certain extent.

They do have their place and there is no reason to not incorporate some BW work in a muscle building routine. Dips are an excellent movement, but not everyone can add weight you simply perform it using your BW. The same goes for pull ups.

Push ups will not build a huge chest, but why not do them? One could superset pushups with BB/DB bench. The goal of muscle building is to pump as much blood to the muscle group, is it not?

Share with Facebook