Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:55 AM   #1
TobesLCFC
TobesLCFC
cutting
Max Brawn
Points: 2,065, Level: 27 Points: 2,065, Level: 27 Points: 2,065, Level: 27
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Greek Yoghurt with honey
My Mood: Lurking
TobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributor
Default Madcow 5x5

Anyone used this program before? I am doing texas method for my bench and press and it's working very well but I think Madcows would be a better long term solution as it's easy to follow and i won't get burnt out and exhausted the whole time.

Also, does anyone think the volume on Madcows is too low?

"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training…what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." – Socrates

"I never saved anything for the swim back."

"Compound exercises, kids! Compound exercises!"
TobesLCFC is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2013, 11:08 AM   #2
BigJosh
BigJosh
"the Grinder"
Max Brawn
Points: 10,405, Level: 67 Points: 10,405, Level: 67 Points: 10,405, Level: 67
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

I did this routine. It was my first foray into "strength training" (away from 4 day splits).
I think it's a great routine. Steady progression on the big lifts with modulated volume and intensity (if i remember correctly) on the squat, bench press and row.
With this routine, I got bigger and I got stronger.
I personally don't think the volume is an issue at all. I think it's plenty. However, if you are concerned about the volume, I would suggest you run it for a 2-3 months, just as it is. Give it a chance with out changing a thing. After a few months, if you still don't think it's enough volume, maybe you start to tweek things. Maybe you add more accesory work.
"The fastest way to get strong muscles is also the fastest way to make them bigger. We know what works best to make them strong in the shortest time possible. If you want to get big, do the thing that makes them strong." - Marc Rippetoe
Zdravko Veselin Gaeta

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.

Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 11-04-2013, 11:11 AM   #3
TobesLCFC
TobesLCFC
cutting
Max Brawn

TobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJosh View Post
I did this routine. It was my first foray into "strength training" (away from 4 day splits).
I think it's a great routine. Steady progression on the big lifts with modulated volume and intensity (if i remember correctly) on the squat, bench press and row.
With this routine, I got bigger and I got stronger.
I personally don't think the volume is an issue at all. I think it's plenty. However, if you are concerned about the volume, I would suggest you run it for a 2-3 months, just as it is. Give it a chance with out changing a thing. After a few months, if you still don't think it's enough volume, maybe you start to tweek things. Maybe you add more accesory work.
Thanks man. Just the reply i was looking for. Was thinking about throwing in two sets of curls because i think Bill Starr recommended that.

"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training…what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." – Socrates

Last edited by TobesLCFC; 11-04-2013 at 11:17 AM.

Share with Facebook
Old 11-04-2013, 11:19 AM   #4
jiorio95
jiorio95
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 4,224, Level: 41 Points: 4,224, Level: 41 Points: 4,224, Level: 41
Activity: 37% Activity: 37% Activity: 37%

My Mood: Mellow
jiorio95 is a lifting beastjiorio95 is a lifting beastjiorio95 is a lifting beastjiorio95 is a lifting beastjiorio95 is a lifting beastjiorio95 is a lifting beastjiorio95 is a lifting beastjiorio95 is a lifting beastjiorio95 is a lifting beastjiorio95 is a lifting beastjiorio95 is a lifting beast

I second BigJosh's review. I found this program and made great progress on it for awhile. I found the volume to be perfect and squatting 3 days a week really helped me on my worst lift.
jiorio95 is online now   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 11-04-2013, 12:35 PM   #5
brad1224
brad1224
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 4,858, Level: 44 Points: 4,858, Level: 44 Points: 4,858, Level: 44
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Cake Of Chaos Champion!
brad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machine

x2^^^ Had some great results

***AAEFX REP***

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AllAmericanEFX
Twitter: @AllAmericanEFX
Instagram: @AAEFX

http://www.aaefx.com
brad1224 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-04-2013, 01:05 PM   #6
Tannhauser
Tannhauser
reads long boring books
Max Brawn
Points: 128,674, Level: 100 Points: 128,674, Level: 100 Points: 128,674, Level: 100
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

What Josh said. It's a long time since I did it, but I seem to remember it got very tough as the weights went up.

"The proper study of mankind is books" - Aldous Huxley
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-04-2013, 01:35 PM   #7
markievicz
markievicz
is a Squataholic
Max Brawn
Points: 12,261, Level: 72 Points: 12,261, Level: 72 Points: 12,261, Level: 72
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Summer Games 2005 Helsinki Champion!
Training Exp: 2.5yrs
Fav Exercise: OHP
markievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master member

I agree with both Josh and Tann,

Twitter: @markievicz5
YouTube: Markievicz5
markievicz is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-04-2013, 02:03 PM   #8
glwanabe
glwanabe
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 14,553, Level: 78 Points: 14,553, Level: 78 Points: 14,553, Level: 78
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

I like using Reg Park style 5x5 progression in either a A/B split or fullbody format. Ramping works quite well and has a proven track record.

Run the program, and get a working knowledge of how the progression feels, and then you can adjust and tweak as you need. It's really just about understanding that progression slows down, and you need to give yourself time to get stronger.

It's often talked about here that progression is king, or to keep pushing for progression. What needs to be understood, is that progression for a beginner is different than for an advanced lifter.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-04-2013, 02:59 PM   #9
TobesLCFC
TobesLCFC
cutting
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwanabe View Post
I like using Reg Park style 5x5 progression in either a A/B split or fullbody format. Ramping works quite well and has a proven track record.

Run the program, and get a working knowledge of how the progression feels, and then you can adjust and tweak as you need. It's really just about understanding that progression slows down, and you need to give yourself time to get stronger.

It's often talked about here that progression is king, or to keep pushing for progression. What needs to be understood, is that progression for a beginner is different than for an advanced lifter.
I'm not a particularly advanced lifter. I would say I'm an intermediate. I can bench 275lbs for a couple of reps, squat about 300lbs (squat is weak as i only started squatting less than a year ago) and deadlift around 370lbs. I can still make linear gains.

Share with Facebook
Old 11-04-2013, 04:59 PM   #10
glwanabe
glwanabe
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 14,553, Level: 78 Points: 14,553, Level: 78 Points: 14,553, Level: 78
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobesLCFC View Post
I can still make linear gains.
Seems like you have a handle on the situation. Get it.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook