Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 12-15-2009, 12:36 PM   #1
Fire36
Fire36
Ridin the big red truck today
Nozzle Jockey
Max Brawn
Points: 2,397, Level: 29 Points: 2,397, Level: 29 Points: 2,397, Level: 29
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

My Mood: Cool
Fire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributor

Default Inverted Rows

Ok Guys I'm trying to find something to replace the inverted row I am doing now. Don't really feel its benefiting me, I seem to be stuck on the same amount of reps as when I started.

Is there another exercise that is comparable to this, that will help my back and shoulders. I need to find something to help me get stronger in shoulders and back when lifting the 45 pound hose roll up 45 feet, on rope hand over hand.

Thanks for any help
Fire36 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2009, 01:10 PM   #2
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,482,261, Level: 100 Points: 1,482,261, Level: 100 Points: 1,482,261, Level: 100
Activity: 44% Activity: 44% Activity: 44%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire36 View Post
Ok Guys I'm trying to find something to replace the inverted row I am doing now. Don't really feel its benefiting me, I seem to be stuck on the same amount of reps as when I started.

Is there another exercise that is comparable to this, that will help my back and shoulders. I need to find something to help me get stronger in shoulders and back when lifting the 45 pound hose roll up 45 feet, on rope hand over hand.

Thanks for any help
When you say inverted rows, do you mean "palms forward" Yate's style rows?

Have you tried to do them more as power rows, exploding the weight up...or do you perform them with strict form?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-15-2009, 01:48 PM   #3
Fire36
Fire36
Nozzle Jockey
Max Brawn

Fire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributor

OK maybe I'm not doing them right at all. I'm doing an "inverted row" with my feet on a bench and a barbell in the rack ( squat or power depending on where i am at, fire station or gym), basically i'm at a 45 degree angle and pulling my body weight up as many reps as I can for 3 sets. So its 3 x BW to faliure.

I may be way off track but that is what I understood this exercise to be.

Share with Facebook
Old 12-15-2009, 01:57 PM   #4
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,482,261, Level: 100 Points: 1,482,261, Level: 100 Points: 1,482,261, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire36 View Post
OK maybe I'm not doing them right at all. I'm doing an "inverted row" with my feet on a bench and a barbell in the rack ( squat or power depending on where i am at, fire station or gym), basically i'm at a 45 degree angle and pulling my body weight up as many reps as I can for 3 sets. So its 3 x BW to faliure.

I may be way off track but that is what I understood this exercise to be.
I understand what you mean now.

I'm not an expert on bodyweight style training, but I wonder if slow negative - possible weighted - inverted rows would help...

Share with Facebook
Old 12-15-2009, 03:17 PM   #5
Grim83
Grim83
has no status.
Director: TGZ
Max Brawn
Points: 6,663, Level: 53 Points: 6,663, Level: 53 Points: 6,663, Level: 53

My Mood: Crappy
Grim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I understand what you mean now.

I'm not an expert on bodyweight style training, but I wonder if slow negative - possible weighted - inverted rows would help...
i have to agree here, back when i got sick i couldn't lift traditionally, so i began sneaking in some bodyweight stuff so i didn't go crazy, inverted rows were a corner stone of that routine, but i also hit a wall as far as reps with bodyweight went, but when i added some weight (i just threw a few plates in an old back pack) it really helped my numbers explode
User owns 1x Super Squats

No Bullshit no problems

My Blog- http://grim83.blogspot.com/
Grim83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-15-2009, 03:24 PM   #6
Fire36
Fire36
Nozzle Jockey
Max Brawn

Thanks Guys, I will be doing inverted rows again with my Friday workout and will give this a try. Tommorow gets OHP, and pull ups.

Friday will be next day I do rows, and instead of pushups will be doing dips.

Share with Facebook
Old 12-15-2009, 07:40 PM   #7
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

I don't know if farmer's walk would help too?

Share with Facebook
Old 12-16-2009, 03:03 PM   #8
Fire36
Fire36
Nozzle Jockey
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I don't know if farmer's walk would help too?
Thanks, I have wondered this too, I may try to incorporate this closer to when the season starts.

Share with Facebook
Old 12-17-2009, 12:57 AM   #9
MattB
MattB
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 1,230, Level: 19 Points: 1,230, Level: 19 Points: 1,230, Level: 19
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

MattB is a dedicated contributorMattB is a dedicated contributorMattB is a dedicated contributorMattB is a dedicated contributorMattB is a dedicated contributorMattB is a dedicated contributorMattB is a dedicated contributorMattB is a dedicated contributorMattB is a dedicated contributorMattB is a dedicated contributorMattB is a dedicated contributor

If I am thinking of inverted rows as the same thing as rack chins, then it is very similar to pullups. Have you tried mixing your rep range. I like to sit a DB or barbell in my lap to make the lift harder and to gain more out of it. If not look into switching it out for pullups or even other free weight barbell exercises(Deadlifts,Barbell Rows,etc). IMO they all have a carry over to functional strength that would benefit you.
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-17-2009, 10:03 AM   #10
Eric
Eric
has no status.
New Brawn

Eric is new to the forumEric is new to the forumEric is new to the forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB View Post
If I am thinking of inverted rows as the same thing as rack chins, then it is very similar to pullups. Have you tried mixing your rep range. I like to sit a DB or barbell in my lap to make the lift harder and to gain more out of it. If not look into switching it out for pullups or even other free weight barbell exercises(Deadlifts,Barbell Rows,etc). IMO they all have a carry over to functional strength that would benefit you.
agreed. add weight.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook