Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 11-04-2013, 11:18 AM   #11
mohiz
mohiz
is cutting
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,621, Level: 23 Points: 1,621, Level: 23 Points: 1,621, Level: 23
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 1½ yrs
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: squat
Fav Supp: creatine, beta-alanine
My Mood: Lurking
mohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobesLCFC View Post
'Good' form is only really important for injury prevention. You can still make adaptations using what most people would consider bad form. It's just stuff like rows you might get injured. All the super slow bs with these ultra slow negatives seems really silly imo.
Those are good points. I never even thought about the possible injury aspect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar
I do the same type of rows as Pete. I don't believe in babying rows. I also don't believe in the near standing up rows.
To me it looks like he's basically deadlifting the bar to his knees and then pulling the bar to his waist with his lats. What I do is I deadlift the bar all the way up, then lower it down to just above my knees and do the whole set from there without setting the bar back on the floor in between reps. Do you think that's effective or is it one of those near standing up rows? I can't seem to be able to do any other kind because they put too much pressure on my lower back.

***Current goals***
- Get to <10% BF
mohiz is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2013, 11:22 AM   #12
TobesLCFC
TobesLCFC
cutting
Max Brawn
Points: 2,065, Level: 27 Points: 2,065, Level: 27 Points: 2,065, Level: 27
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Greek Yoghurt with honey
TobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributor

I remember watching this video about Bertil Fox, one of the first mass monsters of the 80s from the UK. He had the worst form I've ever seen but he said it worked for him to stimulate the muscle using heavy weight. He had insane genetics and took a tonnes of gear though. He had a 600lb bench apparently.

Found it on youtube.

Bodybuilding DVD Trailer - Brutal Fox in Training 2 - Bertil Fox at his Brutal Best - YouTube
Bertil Fox - Bench Press Drop Set - YouTube

"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training…what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." – Socrates

"I never saved anything for the swim back."

"Compound exercises, kids! Compound exercises!"

Last edited by TobesLCFC; 11-04-2013 at 11:26 AM.
TobesLCFC is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 11-04-2013, 02:10 PM   #13
MadMonk
MadMonk
Used to be sane.
Brawn
Points: 571, Level: 11 Points: 571, Level: 11 Points: 571, Level: 11
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 1+
Training Type: Chaos & Pain
Fav Supp: Food
My Mood: Twisted
MadMonk is a consistent contributorMadMonk is a consistent contributorMadMonk is a consistent contributorMadMonk is a consistent contributorMadMonk is a consistent contributorMadMonk is a consistent contributorMadMonk is a consistent contributorMadMonk is a consistent contributorMadMonk is a consistent contributorMadMonk is a consistent contributorMadMonk is a consistent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobesLCFC View Post
I remember watching this video about Bertil Fox, one of the first mass monsters of the 80s from the UK. He had the worst form I've ever seen but he said it worked for him to stimulate the muscle using heavy weight. He had insane genetics and took a tonnes of gear though. He had a 600lb bench apparently.

Found it on youtube.]
He's a total contradiction to everything you assume to be right, but it obviously worked for him.
MadMonk is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-04-2013, 03:02 PM   #14
TobesLCFC
TobesLCFC
cutting
Max Brawn
Points: 2,065, Level: 27 Points: 2,065, Level: 27 Points: 2,065, Level: 27
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Supp: Greek Yoghurt with honey
TobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMonk View Post
He's a total contradiction to everything you assume to be right, but it obviously worked for him.
yeah, he was an absolute beast but he went to prison as he murdered his girlfriend. Quite sad really. If he took the gear that today's pros take, he would be up there with the best.

"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training…what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." – Socrates

"I never saved anything for the swim back."

"Compound exercises, kids! Compound exercises!"

Last edited by TobesLCFC; 11-04-2013 at 03:15 PM.
TobesLCFC is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-04-2013, 04:07 PM   #15
Squatter
Squatter
is a Crazy Canuck
Squatatron
Max Brawn
Points: 23,944, Level: 94 Points: 23,944, Level: 94 Points: 23,944, Level: 94
Activity: 96% Activity: 96% Activity: 96%

Training Exp: 20 Years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat & Deadlift
Fav Supp: Collagen
My Mood: Happy
Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!

I agree with most of what has been said so far. However, on squat, bench, and deads the crew I train with will not tolerate intentional form sloppiness. They put alot of effort and time into coaching me and expect me to improve and learn. On Max attempts, my form breakdowns very little because of this coaching. Additionally, the risk of injury, even on some iso lifts like curls, is too high for my liking - even a forearm injury can cause havoc on all your training. As well, one may not be injured on a lift while cheating but the risk of a cumulative effect is always there.
Bench: 253 lbs
Deadlift: 463 lbs
Total: 1119 lbs

Gym PR's:
Squat: 495 lbs
Bench: 290 lbs
Deadlift: 510 lbs
Total: 1295 Lbs
Squatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-04-2013, 07:11 PM   #16
LindenGarcia18
LindenGarcia18
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 6,355, Level: 52 Points: 6,355, Level: 52 Points: 6,355, Level: 52
Activity: 33% Activity: 33% Activity: 33%

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Dips
My Mood: Happy
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting machineLindenGarcia18 is a lifting machineLindenGarcia18 is a lifting machineLindenGarcia18 is a lifting machineLindenGarcia18 is a lifting machineLindenGarcia18 is a lifting machineLindenGarcia18 is a lifting machineLindenGarcia18 is a lifting machineLindenGarcia18 is a lifting machineLindenGarcia18 is a lifting machineLindenGarcia18 is a lifting machine

You see this is where my OCD comes in handy.

I made sure I researched form for hours before I started, and am constantly trying to perfect it.

I'd say it was pretty tight now, always controled.
Fairly slow on the lowering, and more explosive on the way up.

I have no advie to give seen as I don't have any lifting experience, but I will say this.

You might have seen the Hodge Twins on YouTube.

Now I don't belive they give very good advice sometimes, but they're big, and their response to an e-mail about rep speed, cheat reps etc;

Was "Just lift the f***ing weight".

Crudely put as always, but basically, as long as your not cheating as you say your not, and you're not lifting the weight at a ridiculously slow speed, your alright.

Deliberation over form seems to be endless, but really it seems to me as long as your lifting the weight with reasonable, controlled form, you can't go wrong.

You progress, get bigger, get stronger, so its working.
LindenGarcia18 is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-04-2013, 07:23 PM   #17
gaspers04
gaspers04
is "Thickneck McBenchpress"
Max Brawn
Points: 16,365, Level: 82 Points: 16,365, Level: 82 Points: 16,365, Level: 82
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 20 yrs.
Training Type: Westside
Fav Exercise: All of Them! Bench, hehe.
My Mood: Brooding
gaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master member

I feel that there is to much obsession over "form". We all get a lil sloppy at some point, as long as its not over exaggerated it should be dine.

Supplements
M & S's Isofuel Chocolate, MGN's Dextrose,Universal's Beef Aminos and AAEFX's Kre-Alkalyn.
gaspers04 is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-04-2013, 10:40 PM   #18
CODY_SNIDER
CODY_SNIDER
has no status.
Cody
Max Brawn
Points: 2,524, Level: 30 Points: 2,524, Level: 30 Points: 2,524, Level: 30
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 7
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: The big 3
CODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributor

I'm definitely a form first lifter. I look at form as maximizing leverage. If I'm not maximizing leverage I'm lifting less weight. I'm not saying I don't push it because God knows I have put up some ugly lifts haha! I just don't believe in the lift it at all cost philosophy. That will only let you progress so far.
CODY_SNIDER is online now   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 11-05-2013, 01:27 AM   #19
MikeM
MikeM
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 12,473, Level: 73 Points: 12,473, Level: 73 Points: 12,473, Level: 73
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
My Mood: Cheeky
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

What he said^^^^^^

Form is your best leverages and in my opinion safest option. Can you lift more lifting like it's the wild west? Sure maybe. But you will pay the price later with disc injuries or shoulder tears, whatever. I couldn't squat or deadlift more with crappy form, but I could bench more. Right up until it wrecked my shoulder. I learned correct form after that! Now I can actually squat somewhat more with crappy form (my best squats have been with good form, but crappy form does creep into my training more often than I'd like), and you bet I am being very wary of that. I never could deadlift worth a crap, good form or not, but recently have made some form corrections so am hopeful there.

I think with the main exercises your need to be thinking good form all the time, if a max ends up being ugly, so be it, but make it a clean PR next time. On rows, curls, etc. other non main lifts, it's much less strict, just get them done with decent form and don't do yourself a mischief. I won't egregiously cheap on curls or rows, but if I got one more rep to hit, I will hit it whatever it takes. I think the risk of injury in those lesser lifts is not as great. Hurt yourself on a squat, bench, Deadlift, OHP and you're in a world of hurt. Often a row or curl injury isn't quite so bad.

Time in the gym is strength gaining time. Time nursing an injury is strength wasting time.

My .02

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)
Best gym lifts: Sq 375, Bench 280 (pause), DL 385 @205 or less
Goals: 3/4/5
Goals beyond my wildest dreams, 600 Kg raw total, 200/160/240

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96

Last edited by MikeM; 11-05-2013 at 01:35 AM.
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-05-2013, 01:47 AM   #20
Ramrod
Ramrod
Reviews.com
Max Brawn
Points: 5,033, Level: 45 Points: 5,033, Level: 45 Points: 5,033, Level: 45
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 12
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: FOOD
My Mood: Doh
Ramrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master member

On the Squat and Deadlift.. Form is Key in Big numbers...No room for bad form.. It will breakdown when shooting for PR's and such, but cheating reps is not smart on these.

Now on Rows, Curls, ISO movements and even Bench at times... Cheating the last rep or two.. To a Degree.. Like on you last set and last rep or two... Swing just a little to get past a sticking point. Or on bench and doing touch and go's...

Also something I haven't seen mentioned.. These ae like tools on your belt.. No different then Super Sets or gaint Sets and so on. Aslong as you don't do it on every rep everyday.. your Fine. You can keep decent form and still "Cheat" a little.

It's a way of Overloading or taking the muscle to failure. Not much different then using Briefs, Knee Wraps, Rev Bands etc... if you think about...I just think these methods are smarter and safer way of getting to the same point.

Also for BodyBuilding you can get away with it more. As your weight is less and your reps are higher. Talking about 10-12 reps and trying to squeeze out that 13th rep.. For Powerlifting.. Cheating on 1-3 Reps just shouldn't be an option. Form Breaking down isn't Cheating, but doing it on purpose with close to PR weight is DUMB.

Last edited by Ramrod; 11-05-2013 at 01:51 AM.
Ramrod is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook