Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 10-29-2013, 04:22 AM   #11
mohiz
mohiz
is cutting
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,621, Level: 23 Points: 1,621, Level: 23 Points: 1,621, Level: 23
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 1 yrs
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: squat
Fav Supp: creatine, beta-alanine
My Mood: Lurking
mohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributor

Long post and a lot of good answers already. I just want to offer you my 2 cents:

You're largely doing the de-motivation to yourself. You have to change your mindset about things if you want to be happier. Why do I know this? Because I used to think exactly along those same lines, which lead to me quitting lifting the first time around and gaining 100 lbs of fat. Not saying that will happen to you, but just something to think about. When you are more motivated you will make faster results.

Some points to consider:
1. You're already doing great, you should appreciate your results more.
2. You can never look like that guy because you're not him. You should rather compare yourself to your old self.
3. Learn to relax. No amount of worrying or wanting results will make them come any faster.
4. I don't think it's a good idea to have deadlines, because how can you know if they are realistic or not? Rather just focus on getting to specific strength numbers.
5. I've never taken unscheduled rest days. If I'm really and truly beat up, I will just reset the weights on certain exercises.

***Current goals***
- Get to <10% BF

Last edited by mohiz; 10-29-2013 at 04:31 AM.
mohiz is online now   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2013, 07:44 AM   #12
LindenGarcia18
LindenGarcia18
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 7,472, Level: 57 Points: 7,472, Level: 57 Points: 7,472, Level: 57
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
My Mood: Happy
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
Demotivation can be caused by a number of things:
  • Stress.
  • Expectation and resultant disappointment, if things aren't going how someone expects them to.
  • Tiredness, exhaustion, fatigue (each being slightly different).
  • Life, in general (other things on a person's plate that just add to the stress load).
  • Any number of other things or a combo of any of the above.

With motivation (and demotivation, since they go hand in hand), it's a case of getting to the root cause and re-establishing the reason for the motivation, which strangely may not end up being the same motivator as a person had previously. There are many that find they've lost their motivation because the workouts they're doing no longer coincide with their goals, their goals have changed from say BB-ing to PL-ing etc.

Oddly, you may find that your motivation may stick if you decide to get in to a show/comp, fitness model etc, because the workouts will be propelling you toward an end result that is required for a competition and so forth; it's worth thinking about.

I'm content to workout for health and fun (progress as well because that's just the by-product anyway), some people need more of a set goal which helps motivate them.

I think when I look at it, its to do with not having faith in what I can achieve.

The other points you mentioned also come into it but I'd say for the most part, its wanting to achive a certain look, and stressing about weather I can do so.

Take two people.

Both train in exactly the same way, same meals, etc; They are identical. (of course, hypertheticallly speaking)

The first guy goes from 130, to 160 in the time it should take.

The second guy, has blips along the way, like not getting enoguh sleep some nights, and being tired in the gym so not performing as well etc;

Both worked just as hard, yet the first guy is where he is because he managed to get more sleep, wasn't as exhausted, etc;
And the second guy only managed to get to 140 in that time.

Of course when putting in allot of hard work into this, the thought of me getting mediocre results because of "blips" puts a massive downer on everything.

Its not even really that much to do with me setting time frames on things.

Its simply the fact, that hard work isn't rewarded in the way it should be, and that sucks.

THATS why I take so much notice of these little blips.

The point is, I'm in the dark with it.

I don't know weather these seemingly small things that happen will make a significant effect on my physique.

If not, then fantastic! I just don't want to be significantly stunting my gains because of blips.

I totally understand its a slow process, I know that.

But you have to admit, its ALLOT more motivating when you're on track.
Finding out you're behind, or that you should be stronger by now sucks.

As I said, if I knew the significance of these blips, and found out the ones that have happened wont have had any significant impact on my physique, then I'd be fine.

What Jim said makes allot of sense, and thats what you've all been telling me, and I'd do well to abide by that.
Just have to learn to do so.

Thanks Babs

Last edited by LindenGarcia18; 10-29-2013 at 07:52 AM.
LindenGarcia18 is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-29-2013, 07:52 AM   #13
LindenGarcia18
LindenGarcia18
has no status.
Max Brawn

LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

Quote:
You put a lot of pressure on yourself to be perfect. This isn't a reasonable standard.
No not by anymeans perfect.

You can't be perfec, of course thats an unreasonable standard.

Its rather to just be on track.

Quote:
The question is why?
Because its allot more motivating for me to know I'm on track.

Quote:
I am seeing a repeating pattern of behavior that concerns me. I hope you can get this sorted out.
Well, that was the reason I started the thread.

Quote:
You need to learn to enjoy lifting. You're a teen. Relax. This is fitness, not "fate of the world" stuff.
Thats the thing though I enjoy it when I'm motivated, just these thing get me down.

Cheers Steve

Share with Facebook
Old 10-29-2013, 07:54 AM   #14
LindenGarcia18
LindenGarcia18
has no status.
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwood View Post
When I was a teen I went to the gym with my buddies and we lifted heavy stuff all the time.

We had no idea what we were doing, sometimes we benched three days straight, or did some bastardized version of power cleans.

Bottom line we worked hard and got results. Just have some fun

Thats a great point.

I do work hard at it, so I guess I should reap the benefits even if its not right.

Thanks J

Share with Facebook
Old 10-29-2013, 07:58 AM   #15
LindenGarcia18
LindenGarcia18
has no status.
Max Brawn

Quote:
When you are more motivated you will make faster results.
Exactly

Quote:
Some points to consider:
1. You're already doing great, you should appreciate your results more.
That was 2 months ago when those pics we're up. I'm now 4 months in, and I'm not sure I've been doing that great, as you can see. Maybe its all in my mind though.
Quote:
2. You can never look like that guy because you're not him. You should rather compare yourself to your old self.
When I say I want to look like him, I mean in terms of muscularity. Of course I'm not going to have his exat body, and nor do I want to.

Quote:
3. Learn to relax. No amount of worrying or wanting results will make them come any faster.
Very good point.

Cheers Mo

Share with Facebook
Old 10-29-2013, 07:59 AM   #16
LindenGarcia18
LindenGarcia18
has no status.
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
Rest days aren't a bad thing in my opinion. Someday's I fell like utter crap and I hit the gym and get really crap results. I normally just leave and scuff my feet like a 5 year old. I hit the gym the next day, well rested and having the day before's events etched in my mind, I smash the gym to bits. Pride is restored.

Some days just suck arse.

Its a hard pill to swallow but its true. If you read my log you will see when I hate life.

Also we all grow at different rates, get used to that idear. Some guys a 6'4", some guys are 5 foot nothing.

Keep lifting, Keep eating .
Yeah I'm going to go at it again today after resting like you do.

Thanks for the post man

Share with Facebook
Old 10-29-2013, 07:59 AM   #17
LindenGarcia18
LindenGarcia18
has no status.
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpmanRugs View Post
I hear your struggle.
My mentality is that if I'm resting, somebody else is working. I take 1 rest day every couple of weeks my body is beyond exhaustion. I struggle to get it in to my head sometimes that my body needs rest.

I know how it works and what it's capable of, so I know what It is I am doing, but with that I do know that sometimes I DO need to rest. It's a learning curve I think buddy. And to me, it isn't an easy one, and never has been.

Sometimes a sickening work ethic comes at a price!

Good points, something to take on board.

Thanks

Share with Facebook
Old 10-29-2013, 08:26 AM   #18
mohiz
mohiz
is cutting
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,621, Level: 23 Points: 1,621, Level: 23 Points: 1,621, Level: 23
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 1 yrs
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: squat
Fav Supp: creatine, beta-alanine
mohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
I know from you guys telling me that these little things on occation don't make a difference, but I don't know HOW MANY of them can happen before it will.
Iv'e missed sleep this week, missed one of my sandwhiches, failed on my deadlifts and was inable to even complete the second set due to tirdness.
Personally I have not noticed major negative effects even from long periods of poor sleep. Overwhelmingly the biggest effects are caused by your diet. Why didn't you just eat the sandwich later? It's the net calories that matter.

If I understand correctly, the failure at deadlifts wasn't your fault. You couldn't complete the set despite trying, right? Then it means your body wasn't recovered enough to do it that day and there was nothing you could have done about it, it doesn't mean you did something wrong. Just try again next time. If you felt tired and didn't want to complete the second set and didn't even try, then that's another story.

When these blips are out of your control stop worrying about them. The frustration caused by thinking about them will slow your progress down more than the blips themselves. Also, the blips will happen to everyone, they are not just your "privilege"

Quote:
Finding out you're behind, or that you should be stronger by now sucks.
You're behind what? According to whom should you be stronger? How do they know how strong you were supposed to be? Your hard work will be rewarded exactly how it's supposed to be rewarded. Just because someone else makes slower or faster progress doesn't mean anything, because they are different persons with different genetics, different goals, different diets and different programs.

***Current goals***
- Get to <10% BF

Last edited by mohiz; 10-29-2013 at 08:34 AM.
mohiz is online now   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 10-29-2013, 11:05 AM   #19
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Checkers Champion! Mario Kart Extreme! Champion! NG Holdem Champion! Javelin Champion! Mouse Batting Champion! Keno Champion!
Training Type: Other
My Mood: Cynical
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohiz View Post

You're behind what? According to whom should you be stronger? How do they know how strong you were supposed to be? Your hard work will be rewarded exactly how it's supposed to be rewarded. Just because someone else makes slower or faster progress doesn't mean anything, because they are different persons with different genetics, different goals, different diets and different programs.
Yep, the seemingly mediocre results that you mention Linden can not be measured as mediocre, a result is a result, progress is progress...as Mohiz points out, people develop at different rates and sometimes you can't hurry it, no matter how much extra training or food you take in.

At the end of the day, it's primarily about fitness (which is inclusive of strength/progress, lean mass gains, bodyfat reduction etc), I think everyone would agree on that point. So, as long as you continue to hit the gym, blips aside, eat sensibly (relaxing at Xmas etc, if you choose to, some don't), you'll get fitter and all the other things will fall in to place at the rate they should, IMO.

You mentioned 2 lifters: one that had optimal sleep and training, the other that didn't...although, theoretically, the first example should be the person that would make the most progress, the reality of it is that it doesn't always turn out that way...it's like the old adage "Don't study more, study smart!"...because a person studies more than another, doesn't mean they will know more than a person that is smart in their studying plan etc, (That's just an example for comparison purposes).

Theory and theoretical situations don't always pan out as the reality of them.

Share with Facebook
Old 10-29-2013, 02:00 PM   #20
Ancrel
Ancrel
is not wanting to take a deload week!
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,526, Level: 22 Points: 1,526, Level: 22 Points: 1,526, Level: 22
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 6 months serious!
Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Milk!
Ancrel is a dedicated contributorAncrel is a dedicated contributorAncrel is a dedicated contributorAncrel is a dedicated contributorAncrel is a dedicated contributorAncrel is a dedicated contributorAncrel is a dedicated contributorAncrel is a dedicated contributorAncrel is a dedicated contributorAncrel is a dedicated contributorAncrel is a dedicated contributor

To me you are over thinking, if i were you i would have a good read through these reply's, take it all in, take a step back and just get back to enjoying working out for a few months.

No pressure just enjoy it!
Ancrel is offline   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook