Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 05-04-2014, 03:29 PM   #1
gorgiebillyboy
gorgiebillyboy
giving ups not an option!
New Brawn
Points: 398, Level: 7 Points: 398, Level: 7 Points: 398, Level: 7
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Fav Exercise: trap bar dead/bench press
My Mood: Amazed
gorgiebillyboy is new to the forumgorgiebillyboy is new to the forum
Talking compound only movement workouts

Hi I have a question to ask If on a Monday, wed and Friday, split I done trap bar ( low handles and bench press, do you think that is sufficient to expect hypertrophy ? with medium to heavy loads and high amounts sets? FYI I have a lower back injury which wont allow me to squat and dead lift without pain so I replaced them with the trap bar, thanks in advance!
gorgiebillyboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2014, 06:49 PM   #2
WilldBill88
WilldBill88
has no status.
King of The Cowboys
Max Brawn
Points: 5,350, Level: 46 Points: 5,350, Level: 46 Points: 5,350, Level: 46
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Training Exp: 2 Years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
My Mood: Yeehaw
WilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beast

This just comes off the top of my head, I'll let the more experience lifters add to the discussion... Usually 6-12 reps is good for strengh/size..

Monday could be Leg Press or possibly Hack Squats.

Wednesday can be Bench.

Friday can be trap bar deads.

Share with Facebook
Old 05-04-2014, 08:02 PM   #3
jdmalm123
jdmalm123
one rep is plenty!
Less is More
Max Brawn
Points: 13,042, Level: 74 Points: 13,042, Level: 74 Points: 13,042, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Yeti Sports 1 Long Ass Shot Champion!
Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: All of 'em
Fav Supp: Milk shake
My Mood: Lurking
jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!

yes, you can make gains on a simple program.

check out Pavel Tsatsouline's "Power to the People" as an example. It's just one arm presses and deadlifts.

If you can do trap bar dead lifts comfortably, that's fine.

However, you should figure out what's wrong with your back...

Share with Facebook
Old 05-04-2014, 08:23 PM   #4
Dray
Dray
is squatting again! : )
Max Brawn
Points: 9,965, Level: 66 Points: 9,965, Level: 66 Points: 9,965, Level: 66
Activity: 64% Activity: 64% Activity: 64%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: squat
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

From what I've seen, read, heard and experienced so far, I tend to agree with BtB, in that ultra-minimalist routines like that are not the way to go.

So, even if you stick with 100% compound lifts, if you're going to work the triceps (via pressing), then make sure you work the biceps as well (e.g., via chinups, rows, etc.), to balance that.

And so on. IOW, pressing and deadlifting will NOT strengthen/build your entire body. It just won't.
Dray is online now   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 05-04-2014, 08:48 PM   #5
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,516,541, Level: 100 Points: 1,516,541, Level: 100 Points: 1,516,541, Level: 100
Activity: 61% Activity: 61% Activity: 61%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Regarding loads, you have to be progressing. Work with mostly 5-12 rep sets and push for more reps, and more weight as you can.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-04-2014, 09:15 PM   #6
jdmalm123
jdmalm123
one rep is plenty!
Less is More
Max Brawn
Points: 13,042, Level: 74 Points: 13,042, Level: 74 Points: 13,042, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Yeti Sports 1 Long Ass Shot Champion!
Training Exp: not enough
Fav Exercise: All of 'em
Fav Supp: Milk shake
jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dray View Post
And so on. IOW, pressing and deadlifting will NOT strengthen/build your entire body. It just won't.

Agree. simply lifting a weight and pressing it overhead will not make much of a physique or improve sports performance...

...unless you do it quickly.

Share with Facebook
Old 05-04-2014, 10:29 PM   #7
BravenFenix
BravenFenix
is after a x8 BW total
Max Brawn
Points: 2,816, Level: 32 Points: 2,816, Level: 32 Points: 2,816, Level: 32
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Exp: 04/2013
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Flavorless Whey
BravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorgiebillyboy View Post
Hi I have a question to ask If on a Monday, wed and Friday, split I done trap bar ( low handles and bench press, do you think that is sufficient to expect hypertrophy ? with medium to heavy loads and high amounts sets? FYI I have a lower back injury which wont allow me to squat and dead lift without pain so I replaced them with the trap bar, thanks in advance!
Bret Contreras wrote a whole article on why Trap Bar Deadlifts are so good. Basically it's a combination of squat and deadlift and is much easier for people to do than the others. You should really think about at least pull ups/chin ups, you need some back in their and those two exercises don't have spinal loading so you can even add a weight belt and be fine.
BravenFenix is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-05-2014, 12:17 AM   #8
Dray
Dray
is squatting again! : )
Max Brawn
Points: 9,965, Level: 66 Points: 9,965, Level: 66 Points: 9,965, Level: 66
Activity: 64% Activity: 64% Activity: 64%

Training Exp: 2
Fav Exercise: squat
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmalm123 View Post
Agree. simply lifting a weight and pressing it overhead will not make much of a physique or improve sports performance...

...unless you do it quickly.
A lot of those guys actually do "bodybuilding" as well as oly lifting, and in some cases "powerlifting" in addition (in terms of style, not competing, that is).

So yeah, I'll still stand by that opinion. At least for now.
Dray is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-05-2014, 05:35 AM   #9
Mistwraith
Mistwraith
has a status
New Brawn
Points: 395, Level: 7 Points: 395, Level: 7 Points: 395, Level: 7
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 1
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Whey & Creatine
My Mood: Inspired
Mistwraith has made some good postsMistwraith has made some good postsMistwraith has made some good postsMistwraith has made some good postsMistwraith has made some good postsMistwraith has made some good postsMistwraith has made some good postsMistwraith has made some good postsMistwraith has made some good posts

I've been using BtB's rep goal concept (i dont know if it's his concept or not but i read about it first on M&B) since switching of from StrongLifts.

Basically for bench ive set a goal of 36 reps (3x12) over 3 sets. It does not matter if i do it like 15, 12, 9 (more likely to happen) or if i do 12, 12, 12. The goal is achieving the total number of reps with good form, while pushing myself to near failure on every set. I do try to keep rest periods the same from set to set though, to minimize randomness.

Once i hit my rep goal i increase weight and the number of reps goes down naturally. From there i work my way back up towards my rep goal.

I do believe that as long as you push your body to the maximum, you will get hypertrophy and strength. Rep range and number of sets... it does not matter nearly as much as people think. The important thing is to always try to push yourself to the limit and always be aiming for better performance in whatever path you chose to follow.

I do however believe it's better to lift within the 8-15 range, simply because the weight is more manageable and thus less likely to cause injury. My knee is still recovering from squatting too heavy before i was ready for it, and right now i regret doing 5x5 because i cannot squat, or stress my knee much at all. Squatting for more reps, with lower weight i am convinced would have strengthened my supporting muscle in a more favourable way

But hypertrophy occurs in every rep range. It's all about pushing your limits, with whatever weight you chose.

As for the question "is trap bar dead and bench press enough".. I'd probably add more exercises to balance things out a bit. With such limited equipment and a back that's also a limiting factor, have you considered calisthenic workouts ? There are a shitload of ways to make calisthenics more challenging over time, and it definitly builds a great physique when mastered.
Mistwraith is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-05-2014, 08:59 AM   #10
gorgiebillyboy
gorgiebillyboy
giving ups not an option!
New Brawn
Points: 398, Level: 7 Points: 398, Level: 7 Points: 398, Level: 7
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Fav Exercise: trap bar dead/bench press
My Mood: Amazed
gorgiebillyboy is new to the forumgorgiebillyboy is new to the forum

im just starting to workout im 220 at 5,8 im just looking to progress till im fit enough to workout with various exercises. thanks for the comments and opinions people!
gorgiebillyboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook