Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 05-05-2010, 12:32 PM   #21
IronManlet
IronManlet
is insane.
With apelike velocity
Max Brawn
Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2 years
Training Type: Heavy Duty
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Steak
My Mood: Daring
IronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beast

1. "Full Squats are bad for your knees."

(Full squats actually corrected some knee problems for me. Transferring the load to your knees by not going down past parallel will cause problems.)

2. "Train till you can't lift the weight anymore."

(Training to failure is a good technique, but not on every exercise and certainly not on every set. Unless you're Wolverine with 6 cycles of steroids running through your body and are eating 10,000 calories daily, you will not be able to train to failure all the time. You'll wear yourself out and stall your progress.)

3. "If you buy ___ by ___ sports nutrition company, you will become ripped and buff in 6 weeks or your money back!"

(No supplement will make you big; you have to work for it. Supplements are just that: supplements to your diet, and a lot of them are just crap. Nothing beats hard work and real food for nutrition.)

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2010, 08:21 AM   #22
big_swede
big_swede
Strongman
Max Brawn
Points: 34,166, Level: 100 Points: 34,166, Level: 100 Points: 34,166, Level: 100
Activity: 33% Activity: 33% Activity: 33%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
My Mood: Yeehaw
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Light weights and +12 reps will carve out definitions

No, it wont.

Share with Facebook
Old 07-17-2010, 08:27 AM   #23
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,548,567, Level: 100 Points: 1,548,567, Level: 100 Points: 1,548,567, Level: 100
Activity: 48% Activity: 48% Activity: 48%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_swede View Post
Light weights and +12 reps will carve out definitions

No, it wont.
This and "low reps don't build muscle" seem to be genetically encoded into every beginner's DNA.

In fact, I just had a question from a beginner this morning asking why I advocate reps in the 4 to 6 range, as they don't build muscle.

It baffles me not so much that this question is asked, but that it gets asked so frequently from a 19 year old with 10 inch arms who wants to get into a debate with me. Sure, 4 to 6 reps is not the only way to train. And it's not even "needed" for hypertrophy. But I do believe that strength fuels muscle growth, and lower ranges should be worked along with the 6 to 12 range.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 07-17-2010 at 08:32 AM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-17-2010, 08:43 AM   #24
big_swede
big_swede
Strongman
Max Brawn
Points: 34,166, Level: 100 Points: 34,166, Level: 100 Points: 34,166, Level: 100

big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Im with you all the way here, im growing and getting more definition since ive switched to lower reps.

Btw read an article in the biggest BB mag overhere yesterday, about how to keep your w/os short to have more time playing in the sun during the summmer or something like that BS,
anyway they had a program written there and for example leg day looked like this "3x8 leg extension (s, 3x8 leg curls and seated calve presses, with some situps in the end" well imho if a nations biggest motivating magazine (for young begginers) publish BS like this as a good workout template, then its no wonder people train like **** and look the same. Well got meself going now but you get my point =)

Share with Facebook
Old 07-17-2010, 08:52 AM   #25
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,548,567, Level: 100 Points: 1,548,567, Level: 100 Points: 1,548,567, Level: 100
Activity: 48% Activity: 48% Activity: 48%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_swede View Post
Im with you all the way here, im growing and getting more definition since ive switched to lower reps.

Btw read an article in the biggest BB mag overhere yesterday, about how to keep your w/os short to have more time playing in the sun during the summmer or something like that BS,
anyway they had a program written there and for example leg day looked like this "3x8 leg extension (s, 3x8 leg curls and seated calve presses, with some situps in the end" well imho if a nations biggest motivating magazine (for young begginers) publish BS like this as a good workout template, then its no wonder people train like **** and look the same. Well got meself going now but you get my point =)
That is probably the worst leg workout I've ever heard of in a published magazine. They could have at least thrown in leg presses.

I wonder what kind of crap is getting thrown around in mags like Men's Fitness. I've never really read mags like that...

As I tell my wife, if you want results, you have to work for them.

One of the best pieces of advice I've ever heard is this..."you should be using the exercises that scare you the most."

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-17-2010, 10:07 AM   #26
ElementalVirago
ElementalVirago
is fucking fear in the scaredy hole.
Resident Poop Doctor
Max Brawn
Points: 4,413, Level: 42 Points: 4,413, Level: 42 Points: 4,413, Level: 42
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Fav Supp: Lard
ElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machine

First of all, love, LOVE this thread. I've heard so many of this "advice" (i.e. deadlifts are bad for you and will cause back injuries so avoid at all costs), plus I've LOL'd about 13 times already. Love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I wonder what kind of crap is getting thrown around in mags like Men's Fitness. I've never really read mags like that...
You guys should read some of the women's fitness magazines if you want some real lulz...most of the lighter fare is mainly articles on inane stuff like "How To Get Bouncy Hair!" and what kind of makeup is right for the gym (really?), with about 2 really lame workout sections and some quite infeasible recipes. It's why I usually end up reading men's fitness magazines. You almost never see articles in those about how what kind of shampoo you should use for your dog this summer. Sure I get a lot of weird looks from people but hey, I gotta go where the information is.

Quote:
One of the best pieces of advice I've ever heard is this..."you should be using the exercises that scare you the most."
This is such good advice. I hate squats, most days I fear them like they are the boogeyman. I do everything in my power to talk myself out of them but I do them anyway, and when I have a good squat day despite my having done them kicking and screaming, I feel invincible and on top of the world. I used to hate deadlifts too but now I love them. "Are you really gonna lift all that weight?" There is nothing like feeling (and being) strong and powerful.

"If someone tells you something is easy and they can't explain how to do it, it's not easy." --Steve Shaw

ElementalVirago is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-17-2010, 03:12 PM   #27
onetiredkris
onetiredkris
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 2,770, Level: 32 Points: 2,770, Level: 32 Points: 2,770, Level: 32
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

onetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributor

Quote:
you should be using the exercises that scare you the most."
me likely

-OTK's LOG-
We lift weights and manipulate our diets so that we'll look good naked. Sure, it's healthy too, and we'll probably live a longer and more productive life than the average guy, but mostly it's about the naked thing.

onetiredkris is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-17-2010, 03:50 PM   #28
big_swede
big_swede
Strongman
Max Brawn

Quote:
Very true advice.

Share with Facebook
Old 07-17-2010, 04:55 PM   #29
Trevor Lane
Trevor Lane
wants to be like Kaz
I am a VIKING!
Max Brawn
Points: 10,570, Level: 68 Points: 10,570, Level: 68 Points: 10,570, Level: 68
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Urban Sniper Champion!
Training Exp: A few
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Supp: T-Bomb II
My Mood: Aggressive
Trevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beast

Here's a big load of BS... "If you want to drop fat, do high reps with low weight."

How bout fix your diet and if that can't do it trade in your parents because your genes are making you fat.
Trevor Lane is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-17-2010, 07:34 PM   #30
onetiredkris
onetiredkris
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 2,770, Level: 32 Points: 2,770, Level: 32 Points: 2,770, Level: 32
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

onetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributor

the reason i couldnt be a personal trainer was because people REFUSE to believe:
1. ab workouts do NOT shed stomach fat
2. hip adductor exersices do NOT remove flab off women's inner theighs

-OTK's LOG-
We lift weights and manipulate our diets so that we'll look good naked. Sure, it's healthy too, and we'll probably live a longer and more productive life than the average guy, but mostly it's about the naked thing.

onetiredkris is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook