Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Articles

Notices

Articles Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, Nutrition, Supplement Articles.

Article Tools Search this Article Display Modes
Old
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,818, Level: 100 Points: 36,818, Level: 100 Points: 36,818, Level: 100
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%
My Mood: Cheerful
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Default Don't be a powerlifting ronin
by LtL 10-07-2013, 02:07 PM

This is the latest article from my site: liftingtolive.com

Web definitions
A Ronin was a samurai with no lord or master during the feudal period (11851868) of Japan. You can also check out this absolute classic film featuring DeNiro and Sean Bean:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rōnin

So what is a powerlifting Ronin? In my eyes this is someone who may have essentially trains alone. They may have people who will give them a spot, they may have a bodybuilder who occasionally works in but they do not train with other powerlifters.

Now that might not sound too bad but hear me out. Eric Maroscher wrote a great article on not being the strongest guy in the gym (link at bottom) and chances are if you're a powerlifter training solo, you will be close to the strongest guy there. You are now the limiting factor in your training. Your perceptions about what is heavy and what is possible has become your reality and no one is there to disprove you. In a similar way you are also a law unto yourself. You lift with the form that works which might not be optimal. You lift the routine that you choose and you do the exercises that you choose. You are the only person to push you out of your comfort zone and I would question if it's really out of it if you can do it under your own steam. To spin this to a more positive slant; finding a crew who are stronger than you will give you:

1. New definitions of what is strong. 400kgs becomes the new 300kgs and you have just gone from strong(ish) to pretty damned weak. Work harder.
2. Instant feedback on how you lift. Even if you video your lifts, what you see is limited by your knowledge wen experience. Your technique will improve.
3. Different ways of doing things. You will probably change routine to match the crew which may well take you out of your comfort zone.
4. They will coach and encourage you which means you WILL lift more. You get stronger.

So a crew to train with is great but how do you find one? Well you could build your own but then you'll probably be the strongest guy. You need to reach out. Social media is probably your best bet. Powerlifters are very approachable and almost all guys that I have reached out to online have responded with quick and detailed advice. Search for local meets and find out who runs them. Then either lift or just turn up and introduce yourself. Powerlifters are rare and most people are looking more more dedicated training partners. Lastly be gracious to those who help you and pass the knowledge on. As Dave Tate says:

LIVE, LEARN AND PASS ON

Lastly I'll put in a small disclaimer. As always there are freaks who pass under the radar and then turn up and smash huge numbers. Mike Tuscherer and, more recently, Burley Hawke spring to mind. Don't get me wrong it can be done training alone. It's just WAY harder. Lifting big is hard enough already, do yourself a favour and make this part a little easier.

Lift to Live

Sources:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rōnin

http://articles.elitefts.com/trainin...-a-small-pond/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

6 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Views 539 Comments 15
Sponsored Links
Total Comments 15

Comments

Old 10-07-2013, 02:20 PM   #2
Ancrel
Ancrel
is not wanting to take a deload week!
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,526, Level: 22 Points: 1,526, Level: 22 Points: 1,526, Level: 22
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 6 months serious!
Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Milk!
My Mood: Lurking
Ancrel is a dedicated contributorAncrel is a dedicated contributorAncrel is a dedicated contributorAncrel is a dedicated contributorAncrel is a dedicated contributorAncrel is a dedicated contributorAncrel is a dedicated contributorAncrel is a dedicated contributorAncrel is a dedicated contributorAncrel is a dedicated contributorAncrel is a dedicated contributor

Great article, i train alone and i know i need to find a partner/club to push me as i want to compete next year so i need to get off my ass and find a club in my area, this has given me a push to go do it!
Ancrel is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-07-2013, 02:23 PM   #3
KD5NFW
KD5NFW
aka Buttercup
13 in 15
Max Brawn
Points: 12,394, Level: 72 Points: 12,394, Level: 72 Points: 12,394, Level: 72
Activity: 24% Activity: 24% Activity: 24%

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: yes
Fav Supp: meat
My Mood: Mellow
KD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite member

Awesome post LtL! I hope to do that very thing come November. Would love to find a crew nearby to train with!!
KD5NFW is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-07-2013, 02:43 PM   #4
moeheep
moeheep
wants a 900lb Total
Max Brawn
Points: 9,512, Level: 65 Points: 9,512, Level: 65 Points: 9,512, Level: 65
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Exp: 1.5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: DEADS
Fav Supp: Condense
My Mood: Amazed
moeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite member

I am constantly trying to find a powerlifting crew in my area, but so far I have been unsuccessful.

I will keep trying

Best Meet Lifts:
Squat = 325
Bench = 210
Dead = 353
Total = 888

The iron is there during my times of happiness, sadness and anger. The iron is there available through the 4 seasons and inclement weather. The iron is there to either comfort me or motivate me. The Iron manages to show me how strong I am or how humble I need to be. The iron does not yell, but it always demands respect. The iron is not a disciplinarian, but when disrespected, I feel it for a long time. The iron does not love or hate, but we definitely share a strong bond. And no matter how far I stay away or for how long, the iron is there, waiting to be lifted.
moeheep is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-07-2013, 03:03 PM   #5
EliteDreams
EliteDreams
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn
Points: 12,797, Level: 73 Points: 12,797, Level: 73 Points: 12,797, Level: 73
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Steak
My Mood: Asleep
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!

^^^Same here. Great points Al.

The gates of hell have been unlocked, headstones pushed aside!
EliteDreams is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-07-2013, 03:09 PM   #6
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Checkers Champion! Mario Kart Extreme! Champion! NG Holdem Champion! Javelin Champion! Mouse Batting Champion! Keno Champion!
Training Type: Other
My Mood: Cynical
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

I guess, some of this would also depend on your personality as well; some people train better alone and as you say some have trained alone and made it. It could be that it's a smaller percentage of people than those that thrive around others and with the help of others but frankly, if I had someone shouting in my ear and encouraging me, I'd probably want to put their lights out, so I'm better off training alone even if I had PL goals.

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 10-07-2013, 03:17 PM   #7
Trevor Lane
Trevor Lane
wants to be like Kaz
I am a VIKING!
Max Brawn
Points: 10,552, Level: 68 Points: 10,552, Level: 68 Points: 10,552, Level: 68
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Urban Sniper Champion!
Training Exp: A few
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Supp: T-Bomb II
My Mood: Aggressive
Trevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beast

I generally hate people and have 0 interest in involving them in something as important as my training. I am a Ronin and will continue to be Ronin.
Trevor Lane is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-07-2013, 03:17 PM   #8
big_swede
big_swede
Strongman
Max Brawn
Points: 34,103, Level: 100 Points: 34,103, Level: 100 Points: 34,103, Level: 100
Activity: 29% Activity: 29% Activity: 29%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
My Mood: Yeehaw
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Good writing Al, its very true.

Share with Facebook
Old 10-07-2013, 10:01 PM   #9
MikeM
MikeM
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Fav Supp: Food
My Mood: Cheeky
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
I guess, some of this would also depend on your personality as well; some people train better alone and as you say some have trained alone and made it. It could be that it's a smaller percentage of people than those that thrive around others and with the help of others but frankly, if I had someone shouting in my ear and encouraging me, I'd probably want to put their lights out, so I'm better off training alone even if I had PL goals.
This is true of me also. I get a little put off by people howling at me or telling me little things about this and that while I'm working in the rack.

THAT said, I think I would greatly benefit by getting out of my comfort zone. Now, I'm making all the decisions myself, having the rack and bench ready anytime I want, as well as any rest I deem necessary, etc. is all very empowering, but I suspect makes life a little easy too. I also get more than a little scared when it gets over 95% and I'm all alone. Sawhorses and pins are nice, but there's nothing like a couple goombas standing there to yank a bar off you if it goes south. I do hesitate when it goes to the nth degree. I don't think I would if I knew for certain there were guys there that would bail me out.

I'm pretty sure if I got into a good group, I would probably get quite a bit stronger and also lot more committed. Sometimes I think I don't try harder to find a group is that maybe I am not really as committed as I think I am. I have a young family and my time is not always my own, but maybe that is just being a wuss about taking the plunge and seeing what is on the other side of the fence.

AND I love the movie Ronin! Not a great Sean Bean movie as he's a bit of a twit in it. But, Jean Reno, Skip Sudduth or Stellan Skarrsgaard fans will love it. Even has the Moonraker villan in it as a good guy and the World is not Enough villan in it as his first evil role. One of the first DVDs I ever bought. Awesome movie.

Great point. Something I really need to think about.

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)
Best gym lifts: Sq 375, Bench 280 (pause), DL 385 @205 or less
Goals: 3/4/5
Goals beyond my wildest dreams, 600 Kg raw total, 200/160/240

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96

Last edited by MikeM; 10-07-2013 at 11:05 PM.
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-08-2013, 07:33 AM   #10
Soldier
Soldier
is judging you.
Max Brawn
Points: 14,510, Level: 78 Points: 14,510, Level: 78 Points: 14,510, Level: 78
Activity: 56% Activity: 56% Activity: 56%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Inspired
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

I hate training with other people. I push harder when I'm alone because I don't need to worry about spotting or changing weights for other people. I get to do my set, then sit, recover, and think about my next set. I trained with some other powerlifters for a while and absolutely hated it. They trained too slow and sat around talking way to damn much. Evidently they did it to replicate a powerlifting competition. I think they did it because they were lazy and would rather sit around talking about whoever wasn't there that day instead of getting crazy and moving some damn iron.

I've also found that my air guitar and air drum solos to loud metal are not appreciated as much when there are other people around.

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook