Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:59 PM   #11
mohiz
mohiz
is cutting
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,621, Level: 23 Points: 1,621, Level: 23 Points: 1,621, Level: 23
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 1˝ yrs
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: squat
Fav Supp: creatine, beta-alanine
My Mood: Lurking
mohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributor

After learning to squat by reading Starting Strength, I took these rules for gospel. Now I'm trying to learn the narrow, high-bar style and my squat suddenly looks much better. I'm not trying to discredit Rippetoe's way of teaching the squat in any way - it's a great tutorial for beginners - but I dislike his attitude (on the SS forum, for example) that it's the one and only correct way. I think the most important thing is to keep trying different things until you find something that works for you, and also keep taking videos of yourself and posting them for critique.

***Current goals***
- Get to <10% BF

Last edited by mohiz; 10-02-2013 at 12:02 AM.
mohiz is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Members of Muscle and Brawn Forums have rated post 412485 as the most helpful. Skip right to it!
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2013, 09:09 AM   #12
Beverly McD
Beverly McD
Texas
Max Brawn
Points: 2,196, Level: 28 Points: 2,196, Level: 28 Points: 2,196, Level: 28
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: Since 1987
Training Type: Powerlifting
My Mood: Amused
Beverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machine

I'm not big on "must". There have been many successful lifters that used different styles from one another.
However, if you want to squat a thousand pounds or so it's probably wise to take a close look at what the people who have already accomplished that feat did to achieve their goal.
Beverly McD is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-02-2013, 09:25 AM   #13
LindenGarcia18
LindenGarcia18
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 7,875, Level: 59 Points: 7,875, Level: 59 Points: 7,875, Level: 59
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
My Mood: Happy
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

You missed one Steve.

The biggest must of all where squats are concerned is to do them in the first place

Last time I went to a public gym there wasn't a deadlift or a squat in sight.
LindenGarcia18 is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-02-2013, 09:37 AM   #14
Davis
Davis
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 4,207, Level: 41 Points: 4,207, Level: 41 Points: 4,207, Level: 41
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 1 day
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: More deadlifts
Davis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beast

In my short time training, I've found the biggest necessity is get rid of your fear no matter what. If not, you're not going to squat anything. For me, even when it's the empty barbell, I tell myself to get it and shake the bar before getting under it. It has worked wonders.
Davis is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-02-2013, 11:06 AM   #15
Gorship
Gorship
wants to earn the right to say he Lifts
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,682, Level: 23 Points: 1,682, Level: 23 Points: 1,682, Level: 23
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Exp: 1-2 altogether.
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: DeadLift
Fav Supp: Creatine + Beta Alanine.
My Mood: Inspired
Gorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributor

After watching the Olympia power lifting. I can say with confidence that no 2 people squat the same. Bar placement people had their own personal comfortable spot, some people took a big wide stance, some didn't.

You know what they had in common?
They were all REALLY strong

Find your safe way to effectively squat and get strong.
Philippians 1:21: For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.
Log!

www.needGod.com
Gorship is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook