Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:12 AM   #1
batwhisper
batwhisper
has no status.
Points: 36, Level: 1 Points: 36, Level: 1 Points: 36, Level: 1
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

batwhisper is off to a bad start
Default Bench issues...shoulder problems

Been training for over a year. I started out using the SS routine.

Our bench went from 95lbs-165lbs. in that year.

Once we got to the high weight I noticed I was having issues with my shoulder. Nothing terrible, it doesn't interfer with everyday life, but when I bench it isn't the typical "burn" from lifting and I do not want to make it worse.

What I have done to remedy the problem:

-Started lifting lighter and worked my way back up. (To this day I cannot get above 135lbs. without feeling it in the shoulder.)

-Met with a friend who is a Physical Therapist and no stranger to shoulder issues. He gave me workouts to strenghten my shoulders.

-Tried doing Chest flys, dumbbell press, dips, etc. The chest flys I don't feel it engaging my chest at all and the same goes for db press. The dips I can feel too much in the shoulder and stopped.

-Worked like hell on my form. From this I discovered my arms are much longer and therefore when I lower the bar to my chest, my elbows are pointing straight at the ground. Also, had other monitor my form and I guess I have a good form.

-I have tried stopping when my arms are parrallel to the ground, but noticed that the bar is above 3-5 inches above my chest and I don't feel like that is working it very well.

With that being said, I think I am done with bench for a whilel.

My question is, what else can I do besides any form of bench to strengthen and develop my chest.

I have looked into doing a lot of push ups and even getting a weighted vest to help.

It just looks like bench isn't for me right now.
batwhisper is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2013, 09:35 AM   #2
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,504,562, Level: 100 Points: 1,504,562, Level: 100 Points: 1,504,562, Level: 100
Activity: 73% Activity: 73% Activity: 73%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Do you have a video of your benching? There are several common issues benchers do wrong that can help tax the shoulders, including flat backed benching and arms flared benching.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 09-25-2013 at 09:55 AM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 09-25-2013, 09:41 AM   #3
BigJosh
BigJosh
"the Grinder"
Max Brawn
Points: 11,083, Level: 69 Points: 11,083, Level: 69 Points: 11,083, Level: 69
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Monster Memory Champion! Solitaire Golf SLingo Champion! Wheel Of Fortune Champion! Portal Champion! SpongeBob's Pizza Toss Champion! Bumper Cards Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! NBA Spirit Champion! Torino 2006 Curling Champion! Ultimate Football Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
My Mood: Cool
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

Welcome to the forum! If you haven't done so, stop by the introduce yourself forum and say hi.

I think the first place to start is seeing a video of you benching. Post one up if you can. I have actually dealt with some shoulder issues in the past.
I think it would also benefit to post up your whole routine. In my case, it hurt to bench, however bench wasn't the cause of the aggravation. It was other exercises that were causing it. Maybe we can identify something that could potentially be a problem.

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-25-2013, 09:42 AM   #4
batwhisper
batwhisper
has no status.

I do not have a video at this time, but I will be getting one.

Share with Facebook
Old 09-25-2013, 09:44 AM   #5
Carl1174
Carl1174
is trying to take the first step in a long road back...
Max Brawn
Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: 3-4 years
My Mood: Bashful
Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by batwhisper View Post
-I have tried stopping when my arms are parrallel to the ground, but noticed that the bar is above 3-5 inches above my chest and I don't feel like that is working it very well.
I would echo BtB that a video would be helpful.

Carl.
Carl1174 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-25-2013, 09:47 AM   #6
batwhisper
batwhisper
has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJosh View Post
Welcome to the forum! If you haven't done so, stop by the introduce yourself forum and say hi.

I think the first place to start is seeing a video of you benching. Post one up if you can. I have actually dealt with some shoulder issues in the past.
I think it would also benefit to post up your whole routine. In my case, it hurt to bench, however bench wasn't the cause of the aggravation. It was other exercises that were causing it. Maybe we can identify something that could potentially be a problem.
Thank you for the welcome!

My routine is very basic at the moment.

Squat
Bench
DB Shoulder Press (started doing lighter weight when I started "rehabing" my shoulder)
DB Rows/Cable rows (alternate every workout)
Upright Row
Hypers
Deadlift (on days I do not bench)

I recently just started alternating the bench and db shoulder press. On days I bench, I do not do the shoulder press. On days I shoulder press, no bench.

Share with Facebook
Old 09-25-2013, 09:52 AM   #7
BigJosh
BigJosh
"the Grinder"
Max Brawn

Monster Memory Champion! Solitaire Golf SLingo Champion! Wheel Of Fortune Champion! Portal Champion! SpongeBob's Pizza Toss Champion! Bumper Cards Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! NBA Spirit Champion! Torino 2006 Curling Champion! Ultimate Football Champion!

BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by batwhisper View Post
Thank you for the welcome!

My routine is very basic at the moment.

Squat
Bench
DB Shoulder Press (started doing lighter weight when I started "rehabing" my shoulder)
DB Rows/Cable rows (alternate every workout)
Upright Row
Hypers
Deadlift (on days I do not bench)

I recently just started alternating the bench and db shoulder press. On days I bench, I do not do the shoulder press. On days I shoulder press, no bench.
IMO you just drop the upright rows. They give me shoulder problems every time. I've heard other guys say this same thing.
The same position the top of an upright row is in, is the same postion doctors have you do to check for impingment.

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.

2 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 09-25-2013, 10:13 AM   #8
batwhisper
batwhisper
has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJosh View Post
IMO you just drop the upright rows. They give me shoulder problems every time. I've heard other guys say this same thing.
The same position the top of an upright row is in, is the same postion doctors have you do to check for impingment.
You know...now that you mention the upright row...the front of my deltoid is the part that gives me the most problems. I will get a video up here soon. Thanks again!

Share with Facebook
Old 09-25-2013, 12:34 PM   #9
Soldier
Soldier
is judging you.
Max Brawn
Points: 13,902, Level: 76 Points: 13,902, Level: 76 Points: 13,902, Level: 76
Activity: 41% Activity: 41% Activity: 41%

Training Exp: On and off for 15 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Doubtful
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

I had my bench up around 350 when I royally screwed my left shoulder. I still can't lift more than 135 without pain, just like you. The difference is that my problems started with a nice popping feeling in my shoulder. Not good feeling. My pain is in my front delt, but I've been told that it's a rotator cuff issue, which is exaclty what you might be having.

I agree with the others that we may be able to help you with form. That could very well be the issue. Also, I'd suggest looking into movements to strengthen the rotator cuffs. I do much more warming up now before I do any pressing movements to make sure the entire shoulder girdle is prepared for the loads.

As far as benching, unfortunately I've had to give it up for now. I'm taking the opportunity to focus on my shoulders which have always been a weakness for me. The standing military press has become my best friend!
Goals-
Win.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-25-2013, 12:50 PM   #10
BigJosh
BigJosh
"the Grinder"
Max Brawn

Good point about the rotator cuff. My issue was rotator related as well.
Twice a week I did these three exercises described on this site:
http://www.bodyresults.com/e2rotatorcuff.asp

I used light weights (2.5lbs - 15lbs) and high reps (12-15).
Also I started putting some ephasis on rear delt strength. I started with reverse pec deck flys and then eventually graduated to face pulls.

This seemed to really help my issue, along with avoiding any movement that hurt.

Quote:
Make gains, not excuses.

Share with Facebook