Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 09-24-2013, 04:57 PM   #1
LindenGarcia18
LindenGarcia18
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 8,033, Level: 60 Points: 8,033, Level: 60 Points: 8,033, Level: 60
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
My Mood: Happy
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast
Default Growth, recovery, and missing workouts/lifts

Ocassionally for whatever reason, I can't complete a workout in its entirety.

For example. I might complete most of the workout, and then not be able to do at all or complete only 1 or 2 struggled sets with a particular exercise.

With anything other than the big 3, I'd likely exeept it and move on.

The problem is however, that whenever this happens, its always one of the big 3.
Not bench actually, but squats or deadlifts.

Its only happened twice. Tonight, and a couple of weeks ago, but it always gets to me.

Obviously, if you're unable to do one of the big 3 throughout you're workout, its annoying to say the least.

Like I said its only very occasional, but never the less its confused me, and regardless of getting advice from several different lifters via the shout box, I'm still really non the wiser.
(Not that the advice was bad, its just me getting confused again, and likely over thinking things.)

What I want to know is

1.) What to do if this happens

What I thought of doing, and did last time it happened, was to do the lift I didn't do, on its own, the next day.

Problem is, that next day is meant to be a rest day. So my fear was that if it was deadlifts, which work you're whole body, I'd be screwing up the recovery of my muscles which were meant to be repairing that day, because I went and did 5 sets of heavy deadlifts and broke my muscles down all over again.

So I don't really know

2.) Weather it'd be as effective that way.

I didn't know weather doing the lift in isolation the next day was as effective as doing it together with the other lifts.

Is that the case?

3.) The most important one, The effect missing that lift for the workout has on my gains for that month.
(I know to think in terms of years normally)

Every workout counts. You can't notice the small amount of muscle you build in a days working out, but over time it builds up, and before you know it after a year you've added allot of size to you're frame.

So baring this in mind I was wondering how much of an impact on the gains you made that month it would be if you missed deadlifts or squats for that workout.

Would you be able to tell the difference? How important is it?

Now of course I appreciate the fact I've had answers relating to these questions in the past, and although I understood, that was only part of the bigger picture.

Some of you have given me you're opinions on some of this already, allot of them differing, so I figured if I had it down on a thread that I could refer back to, it'd make everything easier for me to remember.

I'd be really grateful for any feedback.

Thanks

- Linden

Last edited by LindenGarcia18; 09-24-2013 at 05:44 PM.
LindenGarcia18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2013, 07:27 AM   #2
Shorts
Shorts
is chasing Elite!
Hulk Smash!
Max Brawn
Points: 3,891, Level: 39 Points: 3,891, Level: 39 Points: 3,891, Level: 39
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: FOOD, nom nom
My Mood: Inspired
Shorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machine

Hey Linden, honestly if you aren't able to complete you rep scheme every once in a while it is not going to matter in the long.

Over the course of time, as you get stronger, you're going to miss reps. It happens, but you are never going to know that until you test yourself with a weight that is new to your or a rep scheme that is new to you.

If you miss it, let it go. Log it, and remember for next time and go in ready to beat that. I would not recommend going in the next day and trying to complete that, in the long run it isn't going to matter. Now if sometimes it really bothers you and you feel that it will make you feel better if you go and complete it then go ahead. I can tell you overall it is not going to make a marginal difference in whether or not you go back.

As far as why it happens, it can be anything. Stress, sleep, how rested your body is from a previous workout, your exertion that day. It could all be different from the last time you lifted and that will affect your training session that day. You said it doesn't happen very much so don't let it get to you!

Keep training!

Class I Total @ 198: 525/335/600 (1460)

"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training.... What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable."
-Socrates
Shorts is offline   Reply With Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 09-25-2013, 08:54 AM   #3
bamazav
bamazav
Dog House Training, home of the WalkerDips!Geezers Rule!
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,402, Level: 97 Points: 26,402, Level: 97 Points: 26,402, Level: 97
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
My Mood: Amazed
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Shorts is spot on! It happens to all of us. Listen to your body, it could be saying,"I need some rest." could be saying "FEED ME!" or it could be saying, "I don't feel too good." Point is, make note of it, and next time overcome.

2014 100%RAW American Challenge, May 31, 2014:
Squat 292
Bench 176
Deadlift 375 PR
Total - 843 at 50 yrs 199.6 lbs

Shooting for a 900+ total for next meet. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is online now   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 09-26-2013, 12:50 AM   #4
skids
skids
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 4,436, Level: 42 Points: 4,436, Level: 42 Points: 4,436, Level: 42
Activity: 19% Activity: 19% Activity: 19%

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Meat, Milk,
My Mood: Sleepy
skids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beast

Dont worry about it mate, I'm the King of crap workouts, and I still make gains.
skids is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 09-26-2013, 08:46 AM   #5
Soldier
Soldier
is judging you.
Max Brawn
Points: 14,179, Level: 77 Points: 14,179, Level: 77 Points: 14,179, Level: 77
Activity: 46% Activity: 46% Activity: 46%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Inspired
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Dude, if your body gives out and you can't get through your sets, you're TIRED! If you're tired then that rest day is even mroe important than normal! Don't try to "make up" for anything. Instead, reflect on what happened that day and see if you can learn from it. Personally this is why I shifted the majority of my carb intake to my preworkout meal, because it gives me more energy, but we already know that your diet is consistent.

You're going through a lot right now. Go hard when you train, give 100% of what you're able to give on that perticular day, then rest and prepare for the next session.

A huge part of sports psychology has to do with how we deal with setbacks. Think about a golfer who hits a horrible shot. If he holds on to his anger about how bad his shot was, how do you think it will affect his next shot? He'll get worse and worse and completely fall apart. Instead, the great golfers ACCEPT what has happened and move on. It's over, it's done. You did the best you could, and now your focus should be on what's coming next. Acceptance also has an effect on self-labeling. If you call yourself a piece of crap who sucks at lifting because you couldn't get it done, how can you hope to continue to improve? You must disconnect yourself from your performance and remember that just because you were weak on a certain day doesn't change the fact that you're getting stronger almost constantly, and if you stick with it and push through bad days you KNOW and completely believe that you WILL get stronger in the end.

I've had to use self-talk like this with my diet. Some days aren't as good as others, but I truly believe that if I keep hacking away at it day in and day out then eventually I WILL get where I want to be.

Share with Facebook
Old 09-28-2013, 02:16 PM   #6
LindenGarcia18
LindenGarcia18
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 8,033, Level: 60 Points: 8,033, Level: 60 Points: 8,033, Level: 60
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
My Mood: Happy
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

All fantastic advice as always.

Made me think allot.

I can see exactly where I go wrong now from what youv'e all said, and I too believe the phycology and where you're minds at plays a big role.

I just have to be positive, learn to accept bad workouts, and always give 100 %.

That way I'll be doing the best I can, without continuing any negativity I felt about my last workout, onto the next one.

If I take note of everything too, like you said, I'll remember to avoid it next time.

Thanks for this guys, really appreciate it.

- Linden
LindenGarcia18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-28-2013, 05:16 PM   #7
Epinephrine
Epinephrine
is building the beast
Brawn
Points: 1,162, Level: 18 Points: 1,162, Level: 18 Points: 1,162, Level: 18
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

My Mood: Twisted
Epinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributor

I've had a bad day on one of the big 3 in the past and I've gone in the next day or the day after and just crushed that lift and only that one. Days when I just do like 15 sets of squats alternating high and low reps are brutal and awesome. At the end of the day just do whatever you want man, just eat enough.

Share with Facebook