Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Articles

Notices

Articles Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, Nutrition, Supplement Articles.

Article Tools Search this Article Display Modes
Old
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,354,670, Level: 100 Points: 1,354,670, Level: 100 Points: 1,354,670, Level: 100
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default A Return to the Rest Pause
by BendtheBar 09-13-2013, 12:32 AM

A Return to the Rest Pause
by John Carl Mese

When Mike Mentzer was in Miami I discussed training methods with him, in particular his recent marked improvement. Mike mentioned he was using a form of the rest-pause system as a means of intensifying exercises.

Rest-pause is a set of an exercise performed with rest intervals between reps. For example, Barbell curl – 1 rep, rest 10 seconds; 2 reps, rest 10 seconds; 3 reps, rest 10 seconds, etc., on up to 10 reps. The rest-pause is done not only in ascending rep fashion as in the example but also in descending rep fashion. For example, Barbell curl – 10 reps, rest 10 seconds; 9 reps, rest 10 seconds, etc. on down to one rep. As can be expected, this is a terrific pumping type of training and is very effective for two to three week periods. This format has worked exceptionally well for me.

The application of rest-pause that Mike incorporated was slightly different. He would do one set of 6 reps with a weight he would normally handle for 2 good reps. He would do 1 rep, rest 15 seconds; 1 rep, rest 15 seconds, etc. This would increase the intensity of training and the amount of work done is a short period of time.

Well, we all know Mike has genetic advantages that most trainers don’t possess, so I tried the system to see how effective it is on us lesser mortals. The system was appealing to me because I have very limited time to train lately, I grow on low reps, I like heavy training and have a tendency to overtrain – like most lifters.

Results – It has worked for me on the three exercises I tried. I used three group exercises – squats, deadlifts and barbell curls. My exercise weights increased steadily and I felt well spent the next day. I intend to expand the use of rest-pause to other exercises at a later date. A step by step summary of how to try this method in your own training follows, using the squat as an example.

1.) Perform several progressive warmup sets to prepare the muscles, ligaments and tendons. This system is extremely hard when lifting heavy weights. It is easy to pull or tear any of the above.

2.) Select a weight you can use for five consecutive reps.

3.) Use this weight to perform a set of 10 or 12 reps with a rep being performed every 10 seconds, in good form. (A squat in this case).

4.) Every workout, try to increase your weight. Work hard at increasing your poundage.

5.) Put the weight on the squat stands while you are taking your 10 second rest between sets so your spine and trap muscles are not being compressed.

6.) Do two sets of an isolation exercise following the squats (e.g. leg extensions, etc.).

You could then do rest-pause deadlifts and standard-set leg curls to complete you workout.

This system is effective, but as always, changes need to be made to fit the individual. The first problem is the starting weight, and in the above case I suggested a 5 rep weight so the trainee can work into heavier weights. The other problem is the selection of exercises. I feel that compound type exercises will be most effective, especially since it is hard to use heavy weights on isolation movements unless they are done on machines. Even then, isolation exercises are better done with moderate weights to fully work the muscle.

Don’t be afraid to experiment – the key is to train hard.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Views 192 Comments 4
Sponsored Links
Total Comments 4

Comments

Old 09-13-2013, 08:35 AM   #2
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Quote:
5.) Put the weight on the squat stands while you are taking your 10 second rest between sets so your spine and trap muscles are not being compressed

Interesting point.

Share with Facebook
Old 09-13-2013, 10:12 AM   #3
Epinephrine
Epinephrine
is building the beast
Brawn
Points: 856, Level: 15 Points: 856, Level: 15 Points: 856, Level: 15
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

My Mood: Twisted
Epinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributor

I personally never agreed with doing singles for rest pause sets. If you were a powerlifter I guess training like that could help improve strength, but it really doesn't make much of an impact on hypertrophy. Mentzer was on drugs so no matter how he would train he would grow. It makes a lot more sense to me to rest-pause for rep goals, ala DC training.

Share with Facebook
Old 09-13-2013, 11:00 AM   #4
Off Road
Off Road
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

I remember years ago,it may have been Faz but my memory is fuzzy, someone did rest/pause 20 rep squats. They did them as singles; 1 rep, rack the bar, fifteen breaths, unrack and squat another single, and so on. They gained a lot of size and strength from doing it for a few months. YMMV. . .
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-13-2013, 11:13 AM   #5
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,354,670, Level: 100 Points: 1,354,670, Level: 100 Points: 1,354,670, Level: 100
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
I remember years ago,it may have been Faz but my memory is fuzzy, someone did rest/pause 20 rep squats. They did them as singles; 1 rep, rack the bar, fifteen breaths, unrack and squat another single, and so on. They gained a lot of size and strength from doing it for a few months. YMMV. . .
Max Stim is like this. I actually developed my bulldozer style from this concept. I didn't like racking after every rep as I found it harder then lifting the actual weight.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook