Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:38 AM   #1
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,541,050, Level: 100 Points: 1,541,050, Level: 100 Points: 1,541,050, Level: 100
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Judging Squat Depth: Front and Side

http://articles.elitefts.com/feature...rom-the-front/

Steve Goggins wants to know which is easier for you: judging squat depth from t e front or side?

Quote:
I sat in judges’ chairs; both side and front. I saw squats that were without a doubt deep enough, squats that were obviously high, and squats that I wasn’t 100 percent sure about. I heard and participated in countless discussions about how to properly judge the squat. I was told, and have opined myself, that the front seat was the hardest to judge the squat from. If you look in most federations’ rule books, they illustrate the proper depth for squatting, but always from the side, leaving the head judge guessing.

So, I wanted to answer the question for myself.

Quote:
Here’s how I conducted my experiments to get an answer:

1. I set my cameras in a position similar to that of a meet. I wanted to see what the judges see.

I set two cameras in fixed locations.
The front camera is 105 inches from the squatter.
The side camera is also 105 inches from the squatter.
I set the lens height to be exact on both cameras (27 inches).
2. I began the experiment by squatting off boxes to have a definite squat depth

Sets 1 and 2 were to a 12 ¾” box.
Sets 3 and 4 were to a 13 ½” box.
Set 5 was to a 14 ½” box.
Set 6 was to a 15 ¾” box.
3. I conducted the experiment both raw and in full gear. I removed the box once I was in gear.

My gear: A pair of ACE briefs and a brand new ACE suit.
There are a few changes from set to set. I added light as needed. I tucked in my shirt after the first set to get a better view of my hips. Each change is stated in each of the clips.

What you will see:

There are 10 video clips. Each clip has a side view and a front view of the same squat. Again, there is a title screen for each clip that explains how it differs from the previous clip.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2013, 09:38 AM   #2
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,541,050, Level: 100 Points: 1,541,050, Level: 100 Points: 1,541,050, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Videos 1 through 5

Last edited by BendtheBar; 09-03-2013 at 09:41 AM.

Share with Facebook
Old 09-03-2013, 09:41 AM   #3
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Videos 6 through 10

Share with Facebook
Old 09-03-2013, 10:10 AM   #4
bruteforce
bruteforce
is Mr. Competitor
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,432, Level: 80 Points: 15,432, Level: 80 Points: 15,432, Level: 80
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Cool. So were his geared squats to the same depth as the box? I didn't see it that way, but that could be the whole point.

Share with Facebook
Old 09-03-2013, 11:32 AM   #5
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

I found depth squats to be about equal, but as they moved up I found myself wanting a more visual point of reference, and found side view easier.

Share with Facebook
Old 09-03-2013, 06:25 PM   #6
J_Byrd
J_Byrd
is the bomb!
Max Brawn
Points: 21,132, Level: 91 Points: 21,132, Level: 91 Points: 21,132, Level: 91
Activity: 24% Activity: 24% Activity: 24%

Spider Solitare Four Suit Champion! Pick Up Sticks 3D Champion!
Tournaments Won: 3

Training Exp: 15
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruteforce View Post
Cool. So were his geared squats to the same depth as the box? I didn't see it that way, but that could be the whole point.
nope, they were high (geared). He has a write up about it....ill post below

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-03-2013, 06:29 PM   #7
J_Byrd
J_Byrd
is the bomb!
Max Brawn

J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

here is what Adam Said

Posted September 23, 2012 at 9:57 AM
"Thanks for all the comments. I will be publishing my conclusion next week after one more week of videos. I want to add a third camera on the opposite hip.

i do want to add that I am not happy with any of the geared squats. I am fully aware that these squats would need to be deeper to get a truly legal squat. The purpose of this work was to determine which angle would lie to me the least. I post videos of my training for a couple of reasons.

1. To make my log more interesting to view.

2. To help me understand where my lifting is.

I have only been videoing from the front in the past, but if I determine that view isn’t accurate what has it helped me accomplish? I want the best view of the squat for me. I want to know if I’m high, close, or in there. Depending on my conclusion I will adjust how I video my lifting in the future.

Again, thanks for all the comments."

Proudly sponsored by

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 09-03-2013, 07:24 PM   #8
MikeM
MikeM
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Fav Supp: Food
My Mood: Cheeky
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

You guys have done so many thousands of squats, do you really not know during the lift itself whether or not they are good? Does gear prevent you from feeling when you are deep enough? Don't you have a set way to hit depth every practice so that it is automatic? Is there really that much of an advantage strengthwise hitting exactly parallel as opposed to an inch deeper?

Am I not understanding something here? I can understand a squat here or there maybe not being to depth when you're tired or your legs are like blocks of wood from all the blood in them during a brutal session, but don't all you guys practice hitting depth all the time? And don't your know it when you don't hit it?

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)
Best gym lifts: Sq 375, Bench 280 (pause), DL 385 @205 or less
Goals: 3/4/5
Goals beyond my wildest dreams, 600 Kg raw total, 200/160/240

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 09-03-2013, 08:12 PM   #9
zach90
zach90
getin stronger daily
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,786, Level: 24 Points: 1,786, Level: 24 Points: 1,786, Level: 24
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 6 years
Fav Exercise: curls... lol jk DEADS
Fav Supp: moe food
zach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
You guys have done so many thousands of squats, do you really not know during the lift itself whether or not they are good? Does gear prevent you from feeling when you are deep enough? Don't you have a set way to hit depth every practice so that it is automatic? Is there really that much of an advantage strengthwise hitting exactly parallel as opposed to an inch deeper?

Am I not understanding something here? I can understand a squat here or there maybe not being to depth when you're tired or your legs are like blocks of wood from all the blood in them during a brutal session, but don't all you guys practice hitting depth all the time? And don't your know it when you don't hit it?
you would think that is the case but it is not always so. losing/gaining weight can have a huge impact on squat form and the feeling of depth. somtimes your feeling of depth lies to you even when nothing about your training has changed. also strength wise yes there is an advantage in the realm of competition. if two guys were evenly matched in strength but one guy missed the lift because he went just a hair to low then yes exactly parallel is hugely important. it can mess with your head when you want to win. so you do the absolute minimum amount of movement to accomplish that.
zach90 is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-04-2013, 06:11 AM   #10
J_Byrd
J_Byrd
is the bomb!
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post

Great questions and thoughts Mike! With gear, the more there is the harder it is to tell exactly where your at. The pressure builds up so bad that often things are pretty foggy. I have got now where I can feel it for the most part, but some people can not.

An inch makes a big difference( that's what she said) When talking near 100%. Most of the time it is due to a little knee peaking that makes the lift that much harder.

Proudly sponsored by

Share with Facebook