Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 08-30-2013, 06:12 PM   #1
LindenGarcia18
LindenGarcia18
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 8,033, Level: 60 Points: 8,033, Level: 60 Points: 8,033, Level: 60
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
My Mood: Happy
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast
Default Need Some Help Again

I'm in need of MAB wisdom once again.

I'm having a few problems with my training.

Mainly, Its safe to say I suck at almost every lift.

DEADLIFT: Going OK, but I've run out of weight, which means buying more, with money I really don't have

SQUATS: I lack technique. I think most of the time I'm only doing partial squats, and I don't know how to change that without risk of killing myself in the process.
Its getting the balance between having an effective squat session, and being safe.

BARBELL ROWS:
Lagging majorly behind everything else, but I am making some progress with them which is good.

ONE ARM DUMBELL ROWS:
These are a real problem because I'm significantly weaker on one arm than the other.
While 5x5 with a given weight is manageable with my right arm, my left arm struggles to get past set 3 without screwing up form and achieving full extension.

WEIGHTED PULL-UPS: Were going alright, now not so much.

WEIGHTED CHIN-UPS: Same as the pull-ups. Difficulty has somehow increased even though the weights the same.

CLOSE GRIP AND REGULAR BENCH PRESS: Just about the only lift which is going great.
Progression is perfect.

WEIGHTED PUSH-UPS: Same with the pull-ups and chins, it appears I've lose strength.

MILITARY PRESS: Was ok, but now I've added a bit more weight I don't know where I'm at with them.

As you can see the majority of my lifts have taken a turn for the worse.

I really don't know where I'm at with anything.

In terms of where my physiques at, I've gone from 121 pounds, to nearly 140.

How much of that is just nothingness, and which is actual lean mass I don't know.
Obviously only a tiny portion of that is muscle, and I haven't put on any visible fat.

My physique has certainly changed. I look allot better than I did when I started, but I just don't feel I'm doing anything right in terms of actually lifting the weights.

Then there's my diet, which I don't thinks right either.

Its difficult to explain everything, but I just feel I'm cheating myself out of gains here.
With all the crap that's going on with my lifting above, and then with a diet I'm not sure is right,
I'm wondering weather I'm just wasting my time, and wasting my potential.

I feel like I've wasted these almost 2 months I've been training.

Having said that. My weights gone up, and I look more muscular.

Its like, what I'm doing with the weights doesn't add up with the results I'm getting.
But then I don't know if the results I'm getting are in fact minimal gains because everything's wrong, or weather those gains are actually what I should be gaining, which would imply I'm doing things right.

I showed some of you a 1 year transformation of a teen I found, and Steve said I should expect nothing less than what he achieved, and that I'd have wasted a year if I didn't get something similar to what he achieved in that year.

I really want to do what he did in that first year of training like I should do, but I feel like I've messed everything up now.

can't really pinpoint it but I hope you get what I'm trying to say.

I know I'm rambling, but what do you think?

Thanks

- Linden

Last edited by LindenGarcia18; 08-30-2013 at 06:46 PM.
LindenGarcia18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2013, 06:54 PM   #2
Tannhauser
Tannhauser
reads long boring books
Max Brawn
Points: 136,919, Level: 100 Points: 136,919, Level: 100 Points: 136,919, Level: 100
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Quote:
DEADLIFT: Going OK, but I've run out of weight

Quote:
How much of that is just nothingness, and which is actual lean mass I don't know.
It can't be 'nothingness', as this doesn't weigh anything.

Quote:
Obviously only a tiny portion of that is muscle, and I haven't put on any visible fat.
Assuming your internal organs aren't growing,and you're going to the toilet regularly, it is going to be muscle. If it's not fat, muscle is your only other option.

Quote:
My physique has certainly changed. I look allot better than I did when I started,

Quote:
Quote:
I hear what you're saying about the weights and I'll let others answer that, but if you've put on 19 lbs in two months (the majority being lean tissue), then to my mind that's amazing, and about as good as it gets.

"The proper study of mankind is books" - Aldous Huxley
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 08-30-2013, 08:00 PM   #3
Soldier
Soldier
is judging you.
Max Brawn
Points: 14,179, Level: 77 Points: 14,179, Level: 77 Points: 14,179, Level: 77
Activity: 46% Activity: 46% Activity: 46%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Inspired
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindenGarcia18 View Post
I'm in need of MAB wisdom once again.

I'm having a few problems with my training.

Mainly, Its safe to say I suck at almost every lift.

DEADLIFT: Going OK, but I've run out of weight, which means buying more, with money I really don't have

Focus on moving more explosively and adding reps until you can get some more weights. Remember, if the weight gets EASIER to move, you're getting stronger.

SQUATS: I lack technique. I think most of the time I'm only doing partial squats, and I don't know how to change that without risk of killing myself in the process.
Its getting the balance between having an effective squat session, and being safe.

Video! We need a video to figure out what you need to change. As far as safety, I use simple sawhorses I got at Lowe's. I got them for like $35 and I've dumped 400+ on them with no problem.

BARBELL ROWS:
Lagging majorly behind everything else, but I am making some progress with them which is good.

At first you should be "nice" with your back movements, and try to keep your form perfect. As the weights go up you'll need to start getting a little dirty with it. If your form isn't quite perfect than that's ok. Just keep that weight moving.

ONE ARM DUMBELL ROWS:
These are a real problem because I'm significantly weaker on one arm than the other.
While 5x5 with a given weight is manageable with my right arm, my left arm struggles to get past set 3 without screwing up form and achieving full extension.

If you are doing single arm movements and one arm is lagging, use the STRONGER arm first. When you're training the weaker are, do rest-pause to match the number you did with first arm. So if you need to do 5 but only got 3 with the weaker arm, just rest a few seconds and finish your last 2 reps.

WEIGHTED PULL-UPS: Were going alright, now not so much.

You're progress will start to slow down as you get better at the lifts. When the progress slows, THAT'S the time that separates the men from the boys. If it came easy, then everyone would do it.

WEIGHTED CHIN-UPS: Same as the pull-ups. Difficulty has somehow increased even though the weights the same.

CLOSE GRIP AND REGULAR BENCH PRESS: Just about the only lift which is going great.
Progression is perfect.

WEIGHTED PUSH-UPS: Same with the pull-ups and chins, it appears I've lose strength.

MILITARY PRESS: Was ok, but now I've added a bit more weight I don't know where I'm at with them.

As you can see the majority of my lifts have taken a turn for the worse.

I really don't know where I'm at with anything.

If you haven't put on any more fat, then the MAJORITY of it is muscle! Good job!

My physique has certainly changed. I look allot better than I did when I started, but I just don't feel I'm doing anything right in terms of actually lifting the weights.

Then there's my diet, which I don't thinks right either.

Its difficult to explain everything, but I just feel I'm cheating myself out of gains here.
With all the crap that's going on with my lifting above, and then with a diet I'm not sure is right,
I'm wondering weather I'm just wasting my time, and wasting my potential.

Its like, what I'm doing with the weights doesn't add up with the results I'm getting.
But then I don't know if the results I'm getting are in fact minimal gains because everything's wrong, or weather those gains are actually what I should be gaining, which would imply I'm doing things right.

I showed some of you a 1 year transformation of a teen I found, and Steve said I should expect nothing less than what he achieved, and that I'd have wasted a year if I didn't get something similar to what he achieved in that year.

I really want to do what he did in that first year of training like I should do, but I feel like I've messed everything up now.

can't really pinpoint it but I hope you get what I'm trying to say.

I know I'm rambling, but what do you think?

Thanks

- Linden
Suggestions are in bold.

You say you're more muscular, and you've gained almost 20lb without any visible fat gain and...that's not good? Sounds amazing to me!

Try not to compare so much. Personally, I got screwed in the midsection. My hips are super wide, and it's not just from fat. My hip bone is literally really wide. I'll never have a great V shape. It's just the way I'm built. If I tried to compare myself to everybody who looked the way I wish I looked then I'd just get bummed out. Instead I try to do the best I can with what I have.

You should try to do the same.

Last edited by Soldier; 08-30-2013 at 08:05 PM.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 08-30-2013, 08:02 PM   #4
LindenGarcia18
LindenGarcia18
has no status.
Max Brawn

LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

Quote:
It can't be 'nothingness', as this doesn't weigh anything.
By nothingness I meant nothing of any significance either way.

Waste, water, fluctuations in fluid.

Quote:
Assuming your internal organs aren't growing,and you're going to the toilet regularly, it is going to be muscle. If it's not fat, muscle is your only other option.

I hear what you're saying about the weights and I'll let others answer that, but if you've put on 19 lbs in two months (the majority being lean tissue), then to my mind that's amazing, and about as good as it gets.

But I can't have put on nearly 19 pounds of muscle in 2 months can I?

I'd see an insane difference if I'd put on that much muscle.

To my mind maybe 2 pounds of that was muscle, and the rest was just irrelevant fluctuations in my body because I'm new to this.

Cheers for the post tan

Share with Facebook
Old 08-30-2013, 08:07 PM   #5
LindenGarcia18
LindenGarcia18
has no status.
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
You say you're more muscular, and you've gained almost 20lb without any visible fat gain and...that's not good? Sounds amazing to me!

Try not to compare so much. Personally, I got screwed in the midsection. My hips are super wide, and it's not just from fat. My hip bone is literally really wide. I'll never have a great V shape. It's just the way I'm built. If I tried to compare myself to everybody who looked the way I wish I looked then I'd just get bummed out. Instead I try to do the best I can with what I have.

You should try to do the same.
Great advice man, thanks.

Once again your invaluable insight into my problems has proved successful at making me feel better.

I'll try all you said and see what happens

Thanks Soldier

Last edited by LindenGarcia18; 08-30-2013 at 08:10 PM.

Share with Facebook
Old 08-30-2013, 08:38 PM   #6
Soldier
Soldier
is judging you.
Max Brawn
Points: 14,179, Level: 77 Points: 14,179, Level: 77 Points: 14,179, Level: 77
Activity: 46% Activity: 46% Activity: 46%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Inspired
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

No problem man. As for the weight, yes, it's not all muscle. When you gain muscle, you also hold more fluid. Also, your muscles are becoming better at holding stuff that weighs a little bit (mostly fluid and muscle glycogen). BUT, it's way more than 2lb. If you've gained 19lb I'd say at LEAST 10lb of it is solid muscle.

If I were you, I'd consider it a success!

2 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 08-30-2013, 11:26 PM   #7
jdmalm123
jdmalm123
one rep is plenty!
Less is More
Max Brawn
Points: 13,101, Level: 74 Points: 13,101, Level: 74 Points: 13,101, Level: 74
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Yeti Sports 1 Long Ass Shot Champion!
Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: All of 'em
Fav Supp: Milk shake
My Mood: Lurking
jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!

just a lull, a plateau

you're probably fatigued and your body is resisting breaking through to the next level

the easiest lift (benching) is your best lift and the ones that require more coordination and balanced strength are stalling a little... surprised? don't be.

Take a week off, then reset and work back up. when you take a mini-break and feel mentally psyched ood things will happen when you go back to the gym

also, make sure you keep eating to reconstitute... you may add a few pounds but they will drop off shortly after you resume training

2 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 08-31-2013, 03:32 AM   #8
afraziaaaa
afraziaaaa
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 2,927, Level: 33 Points: 2,927, Level: 33 Points: 2,927, Level: 33
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Whey Protein
afraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machine

The solution to your problem is very simple. Eat more food. This is my opinion of course, but it is based on experience. With the weight gain you've experienced, your baseline caloric needs have increased as well which ultimately means that you need to eat more in order to recover properly from your workouts. This is why you are stalling.

If you have form questions, my suggestion is to post a video if you can.
afraziaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote

5 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 08-31-2013, 08:33 AM   #9
HumanHorrorFilm
HumanHorrorFilm
has no status.
Wolfman of Ironsport
Max Brawn
Points: 7,977, Level: 60 Points: 7,977, Level: 60 Points: 7,977, Level: 60
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

My Mood: Aggressive
HumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beastHumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beastHumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beastHumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beastHumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beastHumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beastHumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beastHumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beastHumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beastHumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beastHumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beast

LG, i mean no offense when i say this.

You think WAYYYY too much man. You need a solid program, aka 5/3/1, Madcow, Shieko, etc, and put food on your plate

Bur your squats, lower weight if needed, and if you dont have more weight, REPS are your friend.

Look at someone who DL's 315x1, then someone who can do it 25-30 times

Guraantee there is a difference.
"Before the Beginning, after the great war between Heaven and Hell, God created the Earth and gave dominion over it to the crafty ape he called Man. And to each generation was born a Creature of Light and a Creature of Darkness... and great armies clashed by night in the ancient war between good and evil. There was magic then. Nobility. And unimaginable cruelty. And so it was until the day that a false sun exploded over Trinity, and man forever traded away wonder for reason."

Reigning Undisputed MAB Beard Champion

HumanHorrorFilm is online now   Reply With Quote

6 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 09-01-2013, 01:09 PM   #10
LindenGarcia18
LindenGarcia18
has no status.
Max Brawn

Right, got it.

Thanks allot people

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook