Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:59 PM   #1
J_Byrd
J_Byrd
is the bomb!
Max Brawn
Points: 20,952, Level: 91 Points: 20,952, Level: 91 Points: 20,952, Level: 91
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Spider Solitare Four Suit Champion! Pick Up Sticks 3D Champion!
Tournaments Won: 3

Training Exp: 15
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

Default Mass search of students bags

Today an assistant principle along with high school student interns conducted a search of all 6th grade students bags on campus. The search was looking for a students missing tablet.

I believed it to be an unlawful search and a direct violation of the 4th amendment. When I said that, it feel on deaf ears. I feel like this was wrong on so many levels.

I am unhappy with my current job, but I dont feel like I am over reacting. I would be upset if this was my child.

Sorry just ranting.

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is online now   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2013, 01:01 PM   #2
fenrisulfr
fenrisulfr
Tired of lifting these baby weights.
Peanut Butter Member
Max Brawn
Points: 10,438, Level: 67 Points: 10,438, Level: 67 Points: 10,438, Level: 67
Activity: 47% Activity: 47% Activity: 47%

Training Exp: 3.5
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Chicken breast
My Mood: Tired
fenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite member

What'd they find? The fact that it is a school, I think you give up your right to refuse a search.

No reason to have a tablet at school anyway. Maybe its a sign of the times.

Last edited by fenrisulfr; 11-19-2013 at 01:04 PM.
fenrisulfr is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-19-2013, 01:05 PM   #3
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Checkers Champion! Mario Kart Extreme! Champion! NG Holdem Champion! Javelin Champion! Mouse Batting Champion! Keno Champion!
Training Type: Other
My Mood: Cynical
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Over in the UK, I believe kids would be asked to empty their bags out for a search to be done, at least, that would have occurred years ago but not sure how they would approach such a situation now; it would probably be in the same manner.

Tann might know.

Two different countries, I know, but I guess they were trying to find the item before it completely disappeared, possibly...I doubt they found it though.

Share with Facebook
Old 11-19-2013, 01:08 PM   #4
J_Byrd
J_Byrd
is the bomb!
Max Brawn

J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenrisulfr View Post
What'd they find? The fact that it is a school, I think you give up your right to refuse a search.

No reason to have a tablet at school anyway. Maybe its a sign of the times.
Nothing, and it's not about refusing. You can not conduct a search without direct suspension that something illegal is in that bag. No way they thought all 200 kids stole something.

"1. Can school officials search my belongings?
Sometimes. Outside the school, law enforcement officers need to obtain a warrant from a magistrate before they can conduct a search. To get a warrant, an officer needs "probable cause" -- really solid grounds -- to believe that a search will reveal evidence of wrongdoing.
There are obvious difficulties in applying the Fourth Amendment to students in a school setting. During the 1980s, when drugs and weapons were seen as growing problems in schools, officials complained that the need to obtain a warrant before conducting a search made it impossible to keep schools running smoothly and safely.
In 1985, the Supreme Court ruled for the first time on the subject of school searches, and decided that the Fourth Amendment does apply to students, after a fashion. the case was New Jersey v. T.L.O., involving the search of a purse belonging to a 14-year-old girl accused of smoking in the school bathroom. The Court ruled that school officials do not need a warrant or probable cause to search a student's belongings. Instead, students could be searched on "reasonable suspicion" -- more than a mere hunch -- that they have violated a law or school rule. To be constitutional, a search had to meet a "two-pronged test" -- authorities have to have a sound reason to expect evidence of wrongdoing to be found, and the searches must not be excessively intrusive.
If there is an issue of public safety at stake, such as a report that a student is carrying a gun, courts will generally uphold a search as reasonable. On the other hand, most courts have found that strip searches are for the most part not reasonable, and that they should especially not be carried out on young students. Metal detectors, as long as they are not used on all students , probably do not violate due process. But singling out certain students or types of students for metal detector searches may violate the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment."

http://aclum.org/sites/all/files/edu...dentRights.pdf

Proudly sponsored by

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw

Share with Facebook
Old 11-19-2013, 02:21 PM   #5
MikeM
MikeM
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
My Mood: Cheeky
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

I'm with you JB. Totally unreasonable and shouldn't be allowed. That said, it's likely state laws that take precedence in your case. Schools are typically under state jurisdiction as opposed to federal, so it depends on your state legislature as to what is legal or not. COnstitution ony comes into play after state courts have ruled and it's been appealed to federal court.

Lockers, desks, closets, I'm OK with searching. No expectation of privacy in school property. Book bags, no. You have a reasonable expectation of privacy of your clothes and bags unless specific probable cause, and it would have to be a doozy like guns, drugs of a sale-able amount, etc. Not merely missing property.

I would be upset too. I would be really upset if some student was found with contraband outside the search parameters and punished because of a blanket search like you're talking about. I would fight that in court if necessary.

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)
Best gym lifts: Sq 375, Bench 280 (pause), DL 385 @205 or less
Goals: 3/4/5
Goals beyond my wildest dreams, 600 Kg raw total, 200/160/240

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-19-2013, 02:28 PM   #6
J_Byrd
J_Byrd
is the bomb!
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
I'm with you JB. Totally unreasonable and shouldn't be allowed. That said, it's likely state laws that take precedence in your case. Schools are typically under state jurisdiction as opposed to federal, so it depends on your state legislature as to what is legal or not. COnstitution ony comes into play after state courts have ruled and it's been appealed to federal court.

Lockers, desks, closets, I'm OK with searching. No expectation of privacy in school property. Book bags, no. You have a reasonable expectation of privacy of your clothes and bags unless specific probable cause, and it would have to be a doozy like guns, drugs of a sale-able amount, etc. Not merely missing property.

I would be upset too. I would be really upset if some student was found with contraband outside the search parameters and punished because of a blanket search like you're talking about. I would fight that in court if necessary.
I printed off the handbook and gave it to them. I was correct, and basically what you said is the law. The biggest thing to me was that other students were allowed to search students. That is insane to me!

Proudly sponsored by

Share with Facebook
Old 11-19-2013, 02:48 PM   #7
SCStrong
SCStrong
has a burning desire to be bigger.
Max Brawn
Points: 3,970, Level: 40 Points: 3,970, Level: 40 Points: 3,970, Level: 40
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

Training Exp: One more than last year
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: The ones that make me cry
Fav Supp: Beer; Milk is for Babies
My Mood: Aggressive
SCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master member

we live in a sad, sad place - thanks for speaking out, JB

Share with Facebook
Old 11-19-2013, 03:37 PM   #8
EliteDreams
EliteDreams
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn
Points: 12,656, Level: 73 Points: 12,656, Level: 73 Points: 12,656, Level: 73
Activity: 41% Activity: 41% Activity: 41%

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Steak
My Mood: Asleep
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!

Im with JB and Mike. Pretty ridiculous that a possible crime caused a guilty-until-proven-innocent situation.

The gates of hell have been unlocked, headstones pushed aside!
EliteDreams is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-19-2013, 03:41 PM   #9
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Checkers Champion! Mario Kart Extreme! Champion! NG Holdem Champion! Javelin Champion! Mouse Batting Champion! Keno Champion!
Training Type: Other
My Mood: Cynical
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Byrd View Post
I printed off the handbook and gave it to them. I was correct, and basically what you said is the law. The biggest thing to me was that other students were allowed to search students. That is insane to me!
They were way out of line because they went against their own written rules, to begin with, as you posted above (the rules) but to get students to search students is even worse and out of order on a level that is incomprehensible in terms of adults that should have known (or did know) better.

Share with Facebook
Old 11-19-2013, 03:41 PM   #10
Hunterace
Hunterace
is mental!!!
I'm quitting next week!
Max Brawn
Points: 17,314, Level: 83 Points: 17,314, Level: 83 Points: 17,314, Level: 83
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Wow, wonder if there will be some lawsuits? As a parent I'd be pissed!

~~~2 Chronicles 15:7 ~~~
But as for you, be strong and do not give up, for your work will be rewarded.

!!!MY HEAD HURTS!!!
My Training Log
http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/sho...734#post494734
Hunterace is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook