Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 12-11-2013, 11:53 AM   #21
audix2359
audix2359
has no status.
New Brawn
Points: 140, Level: 2 Points: 140, Level: 2 Points: 140, Level: 2
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Beer Golf Champion!
Training Exp: Feb. 2010
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Dips and Rows
Fav Supp: Salted Caramel Ice Cream
audix2359 has made some quality postsaudix2359 has made some quality postsaudix2359 has made some quality postsaudix2359 has made some quality postsaudix2359 has made some quality postsaudix2359 has made some quality posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dray View Post

That's right: fruit is full of fructose. And guess what that means, when it comes to fruit juice? Yep.

edit: Some vegetables (and other natural things) also contain fructose, btw.
I believe fruit (and honey) is part fructose and part sucrose. I think there is a big difference between whole fruit and fruit juice. As with most things, the middle path is normally the best. I don't think it pays to be a fruit-a-phobe and avoid all fruit at all costs. There are lots of fruits, particularly berries, that have loads of health benefits. At the same time, no one should be eating 20 bananas a day as some morons actually do.
audix2359 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-2013, 03:00 AM   #22
Dray
Dray
is squatting again! : )
Max Brawn
Points: 9,959, Level: 66 Points: 9,959, Level: 66 Points: 9,959, Level: 66
Activity: 64% Activity: 64% Activity: 64%

Training Exp: 2
Fav Exercise: squat
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

My comment is that your shiny new signature is spam, and I'm not surprised at all. I can generally spot them a mile off, and yep, there ya go.

My training log
Dray is offline   Reply With Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 03-05-2014, 07:19 PM   #23
JP88
JP88
has no status.
New Brawn
Points: 109, Level: 2 Points: 109, Level: 2 Points: 109, Level: 2
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 7+
Fav Exercise: Lunges and chest fly's
Fav Supp: Too many to choose from
JP88 is off to a good startJP88 is off to a good startJP88 is off to a good startJP88 is off to a good start

I usually just stick to water. I also make my own juices with a juicer machine, even though its pretty expensive. But it's all natural and the only sugars you get are strictly what comes out of the fruit/ vegetables without the processing ingredients you get when you buy it in stores.
JP88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-05-2014, 11:44 PM   #24
MadScientistOfMaB
MadScientistOfMaB
is training for strongman
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,663, Level: 23 Points: 1,663, Level: 23 Points: 1,663, Level: 23
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Chaos & Pain
Fav Exercise: Squat, push-press
Fav Supp: Mr. Hyde & whiskey
My Mood: Aggressive
MadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributorMadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributorMadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributorMadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributorMadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributorMadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributorMadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributorMadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributorMadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributorMadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributorMadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributor

MadScientist checking in. Sorry I haven't been here in awhile. My new little assistant is wearing me out. I still make it to the gym but just don't have the blog time with a full load of chemical engineering courses and a baby (yet still hit a 455 DL yesterday weighing 220).

So here we go on juice:

Basis
500 kcals of fast food is not the same as 500 from steak
When you are talking about juice I'm guessing you are talking about the cheap ones from the store that have more than 10 ingredients in them.

Using these too assumptions and all the research I did because my wife wanted to buy a juicer I will put in my two cents

1. The problem here isn't juice it is what we will call "juice." Most of them have more ingredients than fruit juice and water. They are flavored and colored and sweetened to make children want to drink a gallon a day. They make this "juice" because true fruit juice doesn't save for more than a week.

1b. Calories form natural sources are better for you than processed calories. Just compare home made burgers with real tomatoes, lettuce, and onions to McDondalds. To cite an article http://www.gnolls.org/3559/calorie-c...lorie-part-vi/. He is a big paleo guy (who made some crazy assumption about IF in one of the articles in this series that were crap) and I know some of you aren't that big on it but here you go.

2. Anything in excess is bad, except squats and bacon. You can literally drink enough water to flush out your electrolytes and it will kill you. Need I say more.

2b. Damn I want some bacon right now.

3. Processed food is the enemy not juice. I have yet to see a diet that was comprised of mostly processed food and was considered great for you.

4. Physical activity can make you healthy even with a bad diet. Most of the doctors I worked with (as a nurse aide) considered some one who exercised regularly, smoked, and drank healthier on average than someone who ate healthy but didn't work out.

There you go, my daily madness has been shared.
Experimentation is the word of the day here, and you're going to be like a mad scientist, tinkering with your diet until you've turned yourself into a massive, world-destroying robot bent on nothing short of the subjugation and destruction of the entire human race.
-Jamie Lewis (Chaos&Pain)

Nothing exceeds like excess.

HT: 5'10" WT: 220
Deadlift 455 Squat 405
Bench 355 Push-press 275
MadScientistOfMaB is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 03-06-2014, 04:57 AM   #25
BravenFenix
BravenFenix
is after a x8 BW total
Max Brawn
Points: 2,808, Level: 32 Points: 2,808, Level: 32 Points: 2,808, Level: 32
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 04/2013
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Flavorless Whey
My Mood: Lurking
BravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributor

Lustig had a good presentation, fructose sucks, especially for sedentary people. However, one thing i'd like to mention is the concern of GMO's. Take a pile of sugar that's GMO and one that is GMO FREE, same fructose content, pretty sure that the first one is considerably worse. Also, since we active people here, fructose doesn't seem to matter much as we tend to use it. Stay under 50ish g fructose a day and your fine.
BravenFenix is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook