Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 12-11-2013, 10:06 AM   #11
Dray
Dray
is a rep whore!
Max Brawn
Points: 9,475, Level: 65 Points: 9,475, Level: 65 Points: 9,475, Level: 65
Activity: 84% Activity: 84% Activity: 84%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: cgbp
Fav Supp: rare steak
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindenGarcia18 View Post
Forget the sugar, and lets look at the main incredient in soda, Fructose.
Actually, in a lot of them, it'll be ~ 50/50 (with glucose) or whatever other ratio, depending on the sweetener(s) used.

Quote:
Fructose has been deemed one of the, if the worst things you can consume.
Assuming that's even true, for the sake of pointing out something quite relevant... then you don't want to be eating any fruit, ever, in case you were wondering.

That's right: fruit is full of fructose. And guess what that means, when it comes to fruit juice? Yep.

edit: Some vegetables (and other natural things) also contain fructose, btw.

Gym PRs: Squat 160kg/352.7lbs, Bench 112.5kg/248lbs, Deadlift 220kg/485lbs, Strict Press 72.5kg/159.8lbs

My new training log

Last edited by Dray; 12-11-2013 at 10:09 AM.
Dray is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2013, 10:08 AM   #12
LindenGarcia18
LindenGarcia18
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 7,514, Level: 57 Points: 7,514, Level: 57 Points: 7,514, Level: 57
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
My Mood: Happy
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dray View Post
Actually, in a lot of them, it'll be ~ 50/50 or whatever other ratio, depending on the sweetener(s) used.

Then you don't want to be eating any fruit, ever, in case you were wondering.

That's right: fruit is full of fructose. And guess what that means, when it comes to fruit juice? Yep.

Oh really?

I thought fructose corn cyrup was the problem.

Actually looking at it now, all fructose must be the same now.

Oops

Haha, forget what I just wrote!

Still though, I still don't believe for a minuet fruit is worse than coke.

EDIT: from what I'm reading the fructose in fruit is of a lot lesser quantity than the soda.

All the studies against fructose suggest its a HIGH dosage of fructose corn syrup, which is an added sweetener rather than a natural occurrence and is allot more concentrated.

Last edited by LindenGarcia18; 12-11-2013 at 10:32 AM.
LindenGarcia18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-11-2013, 10:13 AM   #13
LindenGarcia18
LindenGarcia18
has no status.
Max Brawn

LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

For the record, I don't see fruit Juice as a good option either.

And when comparing the two calorie for calorie it is as bad.

But thats hardly the be all and end all.

The crap that goes into soda is undeniable.

Share with Facebook
Old 12-11-2013, 10:15 AM   #14
Kleurplaay
Kleurplaay
is growing stronger!
Uber Brawn
Points: 2,310, Level: 29 Points: 2,310, Level: 29 Points: 2,310, Level: 29
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: dat dere eggs
My Mood: Cheeky
Kleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributor

No one wants to admit it because it makes your population seem lazy, but the NUMBER ONE cause of obesity is too many calories, too little exercise.

Fructose is definitely not the healthiest thing but another thing you should realize is that practically 100% of studies on the effects of fructose are done on sedentary people. It's very possible (maybe even likely) that active/athletic people can handle way higher amounts of fructose.

If the context is people wanting to lose weight, which a lot of people should, fruit juice IS just as bad as soda. This is the context you are in when you are discussing obesity.

Also don't be fooled by its 'naturalness'. Orange juice contains a ton of fructose. Orange juice also contains surprisingly little vitamins/minerals and what it does contain isn't anything better than multivitamin tablet quality.
Kleurplaay is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-11-2013, 10:18 AM   #15
Dray
Dray
is a rep whore!
Max Brawn

Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

Quote:
All the studies against fructose suggest its a HIGH dosage of fructose corn syrup, which is an added sweetener rather than a natural occurrence and is allot more concentrated.
Fructose is fructose, as you said. HFCS comes - according to the very little I've read! - in a few varieties, some of which have extremely high ratios of fructose:glucose; others are in this regard very similar to cane sugar (as one example), or some kinds of fruit (as another).

Over here (in Australia), we use refined cane sugar by default, which is basically 50/50. It's the same in the UK, from memory, and in many other countries too.

I'm not sure if, in the US, they have to specify which kind of HFCS is being used, on a food/drink label. I sure do hope so...

Gym PRs: Squat 160kg/352.7lbs, Bench 112.5kg/248lbs, Deadlift 220kg/485lbs, Strict Press 72.5kg/159.8lbs

My new training log

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 12-11-2013, 10:28 AM   #16
LindenGarcia18
LindenGarcia18
has no status.
Max Brawn

The key part here is that the fructose in coke is high fructose corn syrup, and lots of it.

Fruit might have a ton of fructose in it, but when compared to soda there's a big difference.

You would have to eat an absolute ton of fruit which contains the unrefined fructose, to get close to the amounts in a can of coke with highly concentrated corn syrup in it.

Fructose is fructose, but corn cyrup is far more concentrated.

Fructose is bad in quantity like everything else, but the fructose in soda and other refined foods is extremely high, so you don't have to consume much at all to have consumed allot, so to speak.

Fruit juice clearly isn't the best of drinks either thoguh, I never said that.

Put it this way.

Honey is very high in fructose.

But you'd have to consume 1 and a half cups of it to get the same amount thats in a can of coke.

Another example is apples.

You'd have to eat about 11 to get the same amount of fructose as in a can of coke.

Last edited by LindenGarcia18; 12-11-2013 at 10:31 AM.

Share with Facebook
Old 12-11-2013, 10:50 AM   #17
Dray
Dray
is a rep whore!
Max Brawn

Quote:
You would have to eat an absolute ton of fruit which contains the unrefined fructose, to get close to the amounts in a can of coke with highly concentrated corn syrup in it.
Not quite as much as you might think...

Quote:
Honey is very high in fructose.

But you'd have to consume 1 and a half cups of it to get the same amount thats in a can of coke.
From what I can tell, this is way off. About 50ml of honey would provide more fructose than a "typical"(?) US soda (i.e., one that uses a "standard" amount of HFCS w/ a fructose ratio of 55).

Quote:
Another example is apples.

You'd have to eat about 11 to get the same amount of fructose as in a can of coke.
3, not 11. According to something I just read, anyhow. I'll have to look a bit further, to make sure...

My new training log

Last edited by Dray; 12-11-2013 at 10:57 AM.

Share with Facebook
Old 12-11-2013, 11:19 AM   #18
LindenGarcia18
LindenGarcia18
has no status.
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dray View Post
Not quite as much as you might think...

From what I can tell, this is way off. About 50ml of honey would provide more fructose than a "typical"(?) US soda (i.e., one that uses a "standard" amount of HFCS w/ a fructose ratio of 55).

3, not 11. According to something I just read, anyhow. I'll have to look a bit further, to make sure...
Right I see, perhaps I'm off then.

I read the same thing twice so I thought it was correct.

Share with Facebook
Old 12-11-2013, 11:22 AM   #19
LindenGarcia18
LindenGarcia18
has no status.
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Fruit juice is like the fruit with all the good nutrition of the pulp and skin removed. While I have no interest in trying to deem which is worse, I do believe it has more sugar per 12 ounces than most sodas.

12 ounces of Tropicana Pure Premium, No Pulp Orange Juice has 165 calories and 38.9 grams of carbs along with zero fiber.

12 ounces of Classic Coke has 39.9 grams of carbs.

I'll pass on both.

Fruit has all the good nutrition and far lower sugar density. Fruit juice has about as much sugar as a soda. Personally I don't see either as a good option.
I think Steve hit the nail on the head her.

I didn't realize how little nutritional value fruit juice had compared to the whole fruit.

It seems they both suck.

Share with Facebook
Old 12-11-2013, 11:25 AM   #20
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Checkers Champion! Mario Kart Extreme! Champion! NG Holdem Champion! Javelin Champion! Mouse Batting Champion! Keno Champion!
Training Type: Other
My Mood: Cynical
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

But either is good when you just can't stomach food and to get the appetite up and running again (orange juice works great for that, for me, at least), when you need quick cals and it's the only thing you can keep down or get down, to begin with, then they serve a purpose.

Share with Facebook