Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 10-22-2013, 01:18 PM   #1
Soldier
Soldier
is judging you.
Max Brawn
Points: 14,526, Level: 78 Points: 14,526, Level: 78 Points: 14,526, Level: 78
Activity: 55% Activity: 55% Activity: 55%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Inspired
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member
Default I'm sick of people villianizing diet soda!

Seriously, I'm freaking sick of it! Yesterday I read study-based articles saying that there has been no evidence found that diet soda is harmful to health. Not only that, but aspartame has actually been found to possibly help supress appetite.

Then today I read Micheal Moore saying that fat people shouldn't drink diet soda because of it's salt content. Yes, it has salt. A tiny, tiny amount of salt that doesn't even come close to comparing to a couple shakes of the salt shaker over your meal. Most things people eat contain more salt than diet soda, and the body NEEDS a certain amount of salt to maintain electrolyte levels (SALT WATER is an electrolyte).

Then people mention that obese people are more likely to drink diet soda. That's a CORRELATION. Fat people do lots of things that don't contribute to poor health, and most of the healthy people I know drink it too.

I've actually had people tell me that diet soda is worse than regular soda. ARE YOU INSANE?!? Diet soda is worse than liquid sweetened with high-fructose corn syrup, arguably the WORST thing other than trans fats that you can put into your body?

When I lost 100lb in a year back in my early 20's, I usually drank more than 2 litres a day of diet soda, and now that I'm cutting again I find that drinking diet soda helps me ward off cravings.

Of course, it's important to drink water on it's own as well. Life is about balance, and as far as I can see there's NO REASON that diet soda can't be a part of that balanced life. I HATE it when people take things they hear in passing and start to spout it off like it's effing gospel.

Regular soda is one of the worst things you can put into your body, especially in it's modern incarnation. The thought that removing it from your diet and replacing it with both diet soda and water is a BAD idea is NOT helping us get any more healthy as a culture.

Stop your all-or-nothing thinking, and stop believing everything that you hear!

7 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2013, 01:24 PM   #2
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Checkers Champion! Mario Kart Extreme! Champion! NG Holdem Champion! Javelin Champion! Mouse Batting Champion! Keno Champion!
Training Type: Other
My Mood: Cynical
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

It has salt in it? never knew that...I always used to order a diet cola with the burger and fries/chips, purely because I preferred the flavour. Had the local winery owner show up and tell me all about aspartame...like one drink in a while is going to be a problem anyway.

Of course, there are articles, not sure about studies, where the acid used in cola and all sodas is seen to leach calcium from the bones but again to what degree, that may be consumption above and beyond what most people would ever get to.

Share with Facebook
Old 10-22-2013, 01:32 PM   #3
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,545,593, Level: 100 Points: 1,545,593, Level: 100 Points: 1,545,593, Level: 100
Activity: 51% Activity: 51% Activity: 51%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

My only issue with any additives, ingredients, preservatives, etc is from a cumulative standpoint. If someone is eating a diet filled with processed foods and drink - key work FILLED - then the cumulative impact of the chemical soup concerns me.

If heavy processed foods and drinks are kept in check and used in moderation, I see little reason to be concerned.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 10-22-2013, 01:40 PM   #4
SeventySeven
SeventySeven
Pursuing progression with aggression
Max Brawn
Points: 5,586, Level: 48 Points: 5,586, Level: 48 Points: 5,586, Level: 48
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Tournaments Won: 1

Training Exp: 1 year+
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Xtend
My Mood: Twisted
SeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machine

people always ask me why i have diet soda with my "dirty" meals, if i am eating "shitty" anyway. Because its 50-100 less carbs in terms of macros and a lot less sugar.

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 10-22-2013, 01:50 PM   #5
glwanabe
glwanabe
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

I've cut WAY down on how much diet soda I drink. I opt for a beer now, and drink way more water during the day.

Since I've cut soda down, I find I like it less and less.

Still get my coffee in the morning. You can have my coffee cup, when you pry it from my dead hands, and even then it will be Bobbies trapped.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-22-2013, 02:24 PM   #6
The_Big_Sleep
The_Big_Sleep
is Strong(er)
Epigenetically Gifted
Max Brawn
Points: 2,330, Level: 29 Points: 2,330, Level: 29 Points: 2,330, Level: 29
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
The_Big_Sleep is a lifting machineThe_Big_Sleep is a lifting machineThe_Big_Sleep is a lifting machineThe_Big_Sleep is a lifting machineThe_Big_Sleep is a lifting machineThe_Big_Sleep is a lifting machineThe_Big_Sleep is a lifting machineThe_Big_Sleep is a lifting machineThe_Big_Sleep is a lifting machineThe_Big_Sleep is a lifting machineThe_Big_Sleep is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
If heavy processed foods and drinks are kept in check and used in moderation, I see little reason to be concerned.
This should really be tattooed in every trainees brain

Team HALEO Rep
‡Echo in Eternity‡

http://www.haleo.com/

Like Us On Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/HaleoFB

•A mind too active is no mind at all•
The_Big_Sleep is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-22-2013, 02:35 PM   #7
Tannhauser
Tannhauser
reads long boring books
Max Brawn
Points: 137,996, Level: 100 Points: 137,996, Level: 100 Points: 137,996, Level: 100
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
Seriously, I'm freaking sick of it! Yesterday I read study-based articles saying that there has been no evidence found that diet soda is harmful to health. Not only that, but aspartame has actually been found to possibly help supress appetite.

Then today I read Micheal Moore saying that fat people shouldn't drink diet soda because of it's salt content. Yes, it has salt. A tiny, tiny amount of salt that doesn't even come close to comparing to a couple shakes of the salt shaker over your meal. Most things people eat contain more salt than diet soda, and the body NEEDS a certain amount of salt to maintain electrolyte levels (SALT WATER is an electrolyte).

Then people mention that obese people are more likely to drink diet soda. That's a CORRELATION. Fat people do lots of things that don't contribute to poor health, and most of the healthy people I know drink it too.

I've actually had people tell me that diet soda is worse than regular soda. ARE YOU INSANE?!? Diet soda is worse than liquid sweetened with high-fructose corn syrup, arguably the WORST thing other than trans fats that you can put into your body?

When I lost 100lb in a year back in my early 20's, I usually drank more than 2 litres a day of diet soda, and now that I'm cutting again I find that drinking diet soda helps me ward off cravings.

Of course, it's important to drink water on it's own as well. Life is about balance, and as far as I can see there's NO REASON that diet soda can't be a part of that balanced life. I HATE it when people take things they hear in passing and start to spout it off like it's effing gospel.

Regular soda is one of the worst things you can put into your body, especially in it's modern incarnation. The thought that removing it from your diet and replacing it with both diet soda and water is a BAD idea is NOT helping us get any more healthy as a culture.

Stop your all-or-nothing thinking, and stop believing everything that you hear!
Bursts of anger like this have been linked to high diet-soda consumption (so-called rantus epicus aspartamus)

But I do agree.

"The proper study of mankind is books" - Aldous Huxley
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote

4 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 10-22-2013, 02:39 PM   #8
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Checkers Champion! Mario Kart Extreme! Champion! NG Holdem Champion! Javelin Champion! Mouse Batting Champion! Keno Champion!
Training Type: Other
My Mood: Cynical
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post

I forgot, that's an American thing, and whichever other countries use high-fructose corn syrup in the drinks, we still use sugar in the UK.

Share with Facebook
Old 10-22-2013, 02:40 PM   #9
Squatter
Squatter
is a Crazy Canuck
Squatatron
Max Brawn
Points: 27,514, Level: 98 Points: 27,514, Level: 98 Points: 27,514, Level: 98
Activity: 54% Activity: 54% Activity: 54%

Training Exp: 20 Years
Fav Exercise: Squat & Deadlift
Fav Supp: Collagen
My Mood: Happy
Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!

I agree with everything in moderation general rule, however, since Aspartame is a man made chemical or substance, I don't trust it and have no idea what a moderate amount is. Thus, I stay away from all soda's, diet or regular. Heck, I don't even drink fruit juice, as a glass of OJ for example, has the fructose of around 4 oranges with no or little fiber - a big whammy on the digestive system all at once.

With that said, my brother is hooked on Diet Pepsi. I have no idea if the villian is the aspartame or not, but he regularly drinks at minimum 6 per day, usually up to 12. Servers in restaurants always look at him as if to say "seriously" when he asks for his 6th refill and above. My main concern over it is that he is so busy chugging diet soada, that he doesn't have time to drink much water.
Bench: 275 lbs
Deadlift: 501 lbs
Total: 1251 lbs

Gym PR's:
Squat: 495 lbs
Bench: 295 lbs
Deadlift: 510 lbs
Total: 1300 Lbs
Age 50
Squatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-22-2013, 02:42 PM   #10
Soldier
Soldier
is judging you.
Max Brawn
Points: 14,526, Level: 78 Points: 14,526, Level: 78 Points: 14,526, Level: 78
Activity: 55% Activity: 55% Activity: 55%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

I guess I get annoyed any time an untrained, unhealthy person tried to tell me that something I do regularly is bad. I just know that diet soda helps me stick to my eating plan. I usually drink diet soda when I'm at home, then drink lots of water flavored with Mio when I'm at work. I also have a few protein shakes with water during the day. All of this adds up to a huge fluid intake throughout the day.

Share with Facebook