Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 07-02-2013, 02:33 PM   #1
Dray
Dray
is squatting again! : )
Max Brawn
Points: 10,002, Level: 66 Points: 10,002, Level: 66 Points: 10,002, Level: 66
Activity: 55% Activity: 55% Activity: 55%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: squat
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member
Default Slow eccentrics - your thoughts?

Just watched an interesting video from Mark Bell (I like a lot of his videos, actually).

What d'yall think 'bout that? Anyone here ever use slow eccentrics? Or just slow reps overall, for that matter, done deliberately?

My training log
Dray is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2013, 02:57 PM   #2
Shorts
Shorts
is chasing Elite!
Hulk Smash!
Max Brawn
Points: 3,891, Level: 39 Points: 3,891, Level: 39 Points: 3,891, Level: 39
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: FOOD, nom nom
My Mood: Inspired
Shorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machine

They only time I really have used the eccentrics is with curls or something like that, never with the big lifts.

I would be interested to hear some other people's thoughts on this though, as thinking about it makes sense.

Class I Total @ 198: 525/335/600 (1460)

"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training.... What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable."
-Socrates
Shorts is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-02-2013, 06:22 PM   #3
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,522,296, Level: 100 Points: 1,522,296, Level: 100 Points: 1,522,296, Level: 100
Activity: 48% Activity: 48% Activity: 48%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I consider them non-essentials. There are very few big and strong lifters who use them. In addition, having tried them, I find them to be incredibly tedious and dull.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-03-2013, 09:31 AM   #4
LindenGarcia18
LindenGarcia18
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 8,054, Level: 60 Points: 8,054, Level: 60 Points: 8,054, Level: 60
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
My Mood: Happy
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

I've heard of going slow on the negative portion of the lift. Apparently more muscle fibers are activated on the lower part. According to Dorian Yates anyway.

Jordan Yaum also got Taylor Lautner to load the bar with more than he could lift, and do only the negative portion.

Last edited by LindenGarcia18; 07-03-2013 at 09:35 AM.
LindenGarcia18 is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-03-2013, 09:50 AM   #5
Off Road
Off Road
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

I've done slow overload negatives on chin-ups and dips. Never really got much out of them. I much prefer heavy lifting with both positive and negative portions of the lift, and normal speeds.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-03-2013, 05:18 PM   #6
LindenGarcia18
LindenGarcia18
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 8,054, Level: 60 Points: 8,054, Level: 60 Points: 8,054, Level: 60
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
My Mood: Happy
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

Yeah I don't think there's too much evidence to show that going slow will produce more strength and muscle gains.

Look how fast the Hodge twin go and they've gone fine.

Seems like an over complication to me and my unexperienced mind (could be completely wrong of course, but it sounds like something myself would obsess over )
LindenGarcia18 is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-07-2013, 11:15 AM   #7
strongestebooks
strongestebooks
has no status.
Points: 32, Level: 1 Points: 32, Level: 1 Points: 32, Level: 1
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Gaspari Supplements
strongestebooks is off to a good startstrongestebooks is off to a good startstrongestebooks is off to a good start

In my opinion pretty much a waste of time. Sure, use the technique in the last rep from time to time, but I see no reason to overthink eccentric training an building your routine around it. But as I said, just my opinion - there might be substantial evidence that I dont know about.
strongestebooks is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-07-2013, 12:04 PM   #8
SaxonViolence
SaxonViolence
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 1,222, Level: 19 Points: 1,222, Level: 19 Points: 1,222, Level: 19
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

My Mood: Yeehaw
SaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributor
Cool

If I remember correctly, you can generally lower with good control about 135% of what you could lift Concentrically.

{You should at least Feel Like you could bring the bar at a dead stop anywhere in it's path—you probably wouldn't Quite be able—but it should Feel Like you could...

Obviously, if you're going for 8 reps, you could probably stop the first 5 or 6 reps.}

I was always taught to take 3 seconds up and then 5 seconds down.

As with having a live hand grenade in one's hand, the count tends to speed up when in distress.

Your 3 and 5 will be considerably less than "Calendar" 3 & 5.

Having said that, the Eccentric portion of a regular lift will only have about 74% the degree of difficulty as your Concentric portion.

It seems tedious to even try for "Fast Count" 5 seconds down.

I "Aim" at about 2.8 down—but don't count, or anything.

This doesn't work at all well with Squats—

While you don't want to hop around like a Momentum Monger, you can't grind out a 3 second Concentric very well with over 400 Pounds on your back—well, if you can, then Protein for you.

Slow Negatives do come into their own with exercises where you want to go past failure with "Forced Reps"; "Partial Reps"; "Cheats" and/or "Assists"—

This works okay on the Bench, but is best with isolation exercises.

I've also heard that to break through Plateaus a double or triple Negative with 115% of your Plateau Poundage (for a few weeks at most) is helpful.

My Powerlifting coach used to say that there is no man alive who can outrun Secretariat, it does not follow that One should make Secretariat a track coach.

Even without the complicating issue of Drugs, Genetically Gifted Athletes will do better and more with very poor training and very poor diet than most of us can with the best training and diet...

Not to mention that a select few seem to handle horrendous overtraining—it doesn't help them, but it doesn't seem to hold them back...

Therefore most Champion Bodybuilders got that way In Spite of their Training Practices—Not Because of Them.

This is less true of Powerlifters—though looking in from the outside, Technique seems to have become much more of a factor than it was 30 years ago (Hence the increased importance of Low Rep Practice).

Our gym went through a period of doing 100% of the work Negative—before I joined.

Gains were reportedly good, but everyone got worn out lifting other folk's weights for them.

Coach talked to Arther Jones about the possibility of having a Custom Negative Squat Machine made (hydraulic).

Jones said that he could make one, but that the price would be comparable to a Brand New Lincoln Continental...

Saxon Violence
SaxonViolence is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-07-2013, 12:11 PM   #9
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Checkers Champion! Mario Kart Extreme! Champion! NG Holdem Champion! Javelin Champion! Mouse Batting Champion! Keno Champion!
Training Type: Other
My Mood: Cynical
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaxonViolence View Post
If
As with having a live hand grenade in one's hand, the count tends to speed up when in distress.
I can't think why

Slow eccentrics bored me silly, I also managed to lose count, many a time. I did ask one person how they kept count of the reps alongside a really slow eccentric count, their answer wasn't very helpful because they said they counted the eccentric phase and then said 1 or 2 or whatever rep they were on...I lost count that way...when concentrating on one numerical count to such a degree, it's practically impossible to know which rep you'd got to...which is fine if you're not going for reps but to failure etc.

These days, I just let the body's natural tempo guide me, it seems to make much more sense.

Share with Facebook
Old 08-26-2013, 09:04 AM   #10
ruelisla
ruelisla
has no status.
How to be big and strong
New Brawn
Points: 249, Level: 4 Points: 249, Level: 4 Points: 249, Level: 4
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 15 years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: deadlift
ruelisla has made some good postsruelisla has made some good postsruelisla has made some good postsruelisla has made some good postsruelisla has made some good postsruelisla has made some good postsruelisla has made some good postsruelisla has made some good postsruelisla has made some good postsruelisla has made some good posts

If you are in to bodybuilding slow and ecentric movement is advisable.

I use it as HIT training when i do some bodybuilding training but In strength training and powerlifting i dont think so..

Check the free report by clicking here ===>http://tinyurl.com/mavyeh9

Free Muscle Building Video Reveals “Hardgainers Nutrition & Training Guide To Get Big & Lean In Less Time”

Check the video by clicking here ===> http://tinyurl.com/kromgsv
ruelisla is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook