Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 12-15-2013, 02:37 PM   #1
SCStrong
SCStrong
is a devourer of beasts
Max Brawn
Points: 3,948, Level: 39 Points: 3,948, Level: 39 Points: 3,948, Level: 39
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%

Training Exp: One more than last year
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: The ones that make me cry
Fav Supp: Seared Beast
My Mood: Aggressive
SCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master member
Default GOMAD for older lifters

I am over forty and want to get bigger I am thinking of giving the Gallon of MilK A Day (GOMAD) plan a go for about 3 months.

Opinions?
Experiences? ( Good or Bad)
Inputs / Criticisms / Etc.?

Thanks

Note: I still have a pretty fast metabolism and have trouble keeping weight on. I do still have some belly fat but I am ok with that

screw abs - I want bigger traps

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2013, 03:21 PM   #2
Tannhauser
Tannhauser
reads long boring books
Max Brawn
Points: 136,639, Level: 100 Points: 136,639, Level: 100 Points: 136,639, Level: 100
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

I don't think it's a very good idea, if I understand what the diet is.

Plenty of people on here will disagree with me over this, but I think the balance of evidence is that a lot of saturated fat is bad for you, and if you have a genetic predisposiion to atherosclerosis, very bad.

Leaving that aside, it seems like overkill to be taking in an extra 2500 kcal a day. Assuming you want to partition most of it into muscle, I think you would do better to add 500 kcal a day and see how that goes.

My feeling is that you would gain significant amounts of muscle but even more fat on GOMAD.

"The proper study of mankind is books" - Aldous Huxley
Tannhauser is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-15-2013, 04:24 PM   #3
big_swede
big_swede
Strongman
Max Brawn
Points: 33,797, Level: 100 Points: 33,797, Level: 100 Points: 33,797, Level: 100
Activity: 38% Activity: 38% Activity: 38%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
My Mood: Yeehaw
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

I somewhat agree with Tannhauser since you dont have the "beginner gains" period to rely on, I think gomad is best suited for raw beginners in their youth since they tend to soak up every bit of nutrition put inthere if they train as they should.

I do think you should try it if you want to but go with a lowfat milk!

Not an expert on dieting though so take this with a grain of salt

Share with Facebook
Old 12-15-2013, 06:34 PM   #4
Kleurplaay
Kleurplaay
is growing stronger!
Uber Brawn
Points: 2,407, Level: 29 Points: 2,407, Level: 29 Points: 2,407, Level: 29
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: dat dere eggs
My Mood: Cheeky
Kleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributor

Firstly, as you probably already understand, there's nothing magical about GOMAD. The 'trick with GOMAD is that it's an easy way to add a lot of calories to your diet that are of reasonableish quality. At the end of the day you should still be at a sensible amount of calories for your goal. It's also an easy and cheap way to get in a ton of protein.

If you're not lactose intolerant/sensitive (which I assume you now by now looking at your age), it's worth a shot. Do realise though that even though you may never before have had any lactose intolerance/sensitivity issues, you could still have them with such high lactose intake.

Also don't forget to eat enough fiber, or you're gonna have a bad time.

Personally love milk (although I don't GO 100% MAD ), but some people react so strongly to it that it's really not worth it and you should get your nutrients elsewhere. Knowing your own body is key.
Kleurplaay is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-09-2014, 04:37 AM   #5
leefarley
leefarley
lifts weights in his shed
Max Brawn
Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: protein powder
My Mood: Lurking
leefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master member

i'm with the others don't do it, I did gomad for a bit because I wanting fast gains in size and I got pretty fat and out of shape on it, no I don't think it is a healthy way to go. Just get some roids j/k. I'm joking about the roids but rest I'm not.

Share with Facebook
Old 01-09-2014, 09:29 AM   #6
moeheep
moeheep
wants a 900lb Total
Max Brawn
Points: 9,512, Level: 65 Points: 9,512, Level: 65 Points: 9,512, Level: 65
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Exp: 1.5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: DEADS
Fav Supp: Condense
My Mood: Amazed
moeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite member

I lost over 100lbs...once I reached my weight loss goal, I drink about 3/4 of a gallon a day (5 gallons every week).....4 protein shakes, 1 weight gainer, 1 chocolate milk, and various glasses of milk daily.

It has worked well for me...it has been over 1.5 years since I lost the weight, and I have gained about 10-11 lbs back...not much, if any, of that is fat.

I don't drink it for any other reason than I love the taste of milk....and since I lost all that weight, I have not had 1 alchoholic drink, or one carbonated drink....nothing but milk and water.

Just my personal experience.

By the way, Im 50 yrs old

Best Meet Lifts:
Squat = 325
Bench = 210
Dead = 353
Total = 888

The iron is there during my times of happiness, sadness and anger. The iron is there available through the 4 seasons and inclement weather. The iron is there to either comfort me or motivate me. The Iron manages to show me how strong I am or how humble I need to be. The iron does not yell, but it always demands respect. The iron is not a disciplinarian, but when disrespected, I feel it for a long time. The iron does not love or hate, but we definitely share a strong bond. And no matter how far I stay away or for how long, the iron is there, waiting to be lifted.
moeheep is online now   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 01-09-2014, 09:50 AM   #7
SCStrong
SCStrong
is a devourer of beasts
Max Brawn
Points: 3,948, Level: 39 Points: 3,948, Level: 39 Points: 3,948, Level: 39
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%

Training Exp: One more than last year
Fav Exercise: The ones that make me cry
Fav Supp: Seared Beast
My Mood: Aggressive
SCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master member

I did a little more research and considered the opinions, given here and decided to pass on the GOMAD plan for now. I still want to gain more size but I am getting old - do not want to have to gain lots of fat at this stage of the game.... My program is working now.... I will justt stick with slow and steady.

I just got impatient for a minute or so

Share with Facebook