Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources

Notices

Training Resources Workouts, Form Videos, Muscle and Strength Training Articles...everything you need. Forum includes the best posts from the forum.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:16 PM   #1
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,482,261, Level: 100 Points: 1,482,261, Level: 100 Points: 1,482,261, Level: 100
Activity: 44% Activity: 44% Activity: 44%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Paul Carter on Limits

LIFT-RUN-BANG: More on limits.......

Quote:
So over the weekend I made a post on the LRB Facebook page, that had a few people up in arms.

Basically, I talked about understanding your limits. That we all have them, and in order to have a chance at moving past them, you need to know what they are.

Of course the young, dumb, and full of cum group shows up to tell me they are going to move mountains and drink the ocean dry through a twisty straw. It never fails. It's always the young unaccomplished assholes that believes they will be the next Jerry Rice before he's even made it off the bench in high school.

While contrary to that, all of the really great lifters and athletes I've ever known, were generally very low key guys that understood what their limitations were, or that getting to another level would be incredibly difficult.

The weekend I was in Iowa, I talked to Eric Lilliebridge about Konstantinov's junior deadlift record of 858. He told me a while back he wanted to break it, but he acknowledged he's running out of time and that it's going to be very tough to do. Especially in a full meet, where the pull tends to lose some steam near the end. Eric is a very humble guy, and while I know Eric has belief in himself that he has a chance to do this, he's very aware of how difficult that will end up being. He doesn't just bust off "oh yeah man, that'll be no problem, that shit is in the bag." He shakes his head and says "it'll be tough."

But this is why Eric is great. It's the same reason why guys like Dan Green are great. Dan's story about going to Russia is a great example of this. He was a 600-something squatter at the time, and after watching Pozdeev out squat him by 200 pounds, he realized what the issue was. He didn't have the quads to squat 800+.

Now if Dan wasn't the thinker that he is, and the "all balls no brains" type, he probably doesn't come to that realization. He probably just continues to do what he had been doing all the while not understanding what his limitations were. But Dan's a smart dude, and he changed his training in order to fix his limitations. And eventually, he was squatting over 800 pounds.

One coach messaged me over this post and said.......

"focus on starting before concentrating on being all-American. Even all the HS kids I train now- I think it's great if they have NFL aspirations, but I'm constantly working on getting them to be the best HS football player they can be before getting caught up in the other shit."

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2013, 12:46 PM   #2
IainK
IainK
is on the highway to hell
Max Brawn
Points: 1,840, Level: 25 Points: 1,840, Level: 25 Points: 1,840, Level: 25
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 20
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Hard work in a can
My Mood: Relaxed
IainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machine

Good post.

Share with Facebook
Old 07-30-2013, 01:56 PM   #3
MC
MC
is plotting World Domination from the Phantom Zone
Six Million Dollar Man
Max Brawn
Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 2-3
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Posing
My Mood: Aggressive
MC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beast

Quote:
Of course the young, dumb, and full of cum group shows up to tell me they are going to move mountains and drink the ocean dry through a twisty straw. It never fails.
This about sums up the attitude we all see and hear in one concise sentence.

His post about limits is spot-on.

Share with Facebook
Old 07-30-2013, 02:09 PM   #4
Off Road
Off Road
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

If I remember correctly, there were a few comments in the "natural expectations" thread that had guys saying they were going to go a lot further than what is naturally possible. I love the attitude, but be realistic.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-30-2013, 02:45 PM   #5
LtL
LtL
is loving life.
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,296, Level: 100 Points: 36,296, Level: 100 Points: 36,296, Level: 100
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
My Mood: Cheerful
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Paul is posting some absolute gold recently.
LtL is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-30-2013, 04:51 PM   #6
Hunterace
Hunterace
is mental!!!
I'm quitting next week!
Max Brawn
Points: 17,141, Level: 83 Points: 17,141, Level: 83 Points: 17,141, Level: 83
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Good stuff!

~~~2 Chronicles 15:7 ~~~
But as for you, be strong and do not give up, for your work will be rewarded.

!!!MY HEAD HURTS!!!
My Training Log
http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/sho...734#post494734
Hunterace is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook