New Brawn
Points: 208, Level: 4 Points: 208, Level: 4 Points: 208, Level: 4
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Exp: Always learning
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Chest & Shoulders
Fav Supp: ON Whey
My Mood: Buzzed
ifiwereaspoon has made some quality postsifiwereaspoon has made some quality postsifiwereaspoon has made some quality postsifiwereaspoon has made some quality postsifiwereaspoon has made some quality postsifiwereaspoon has made some quality posts
Default IFIWEREASPOON Training Log

Hi all,

So after introducing myself in the introduction threads I will start my training log here. If you did not see my introduction here is a little info and bg on me:

I am 27 from Australia. I am 180cm (5'11") tall. In 2012 I was fairly fit cardio wise and did a lot of body weight exercises although never touched weights. I weighed around 83kg and did a few 10km running events, etc. In late 2012 I managed to injure myself. I managed to fracture the neck of my right femur and tear up the cartilage in my right hip (labrel tear). This put me on crutches for a while and in to rehab for a few months. During this time instead of bouncing back straight away i regretfully got a bit miserable with life and didn't put much effort into my rehab like I should have, instead I ate a lot and drank too much. My weight ballooned up to just over the 105kg mark. NOT GOOD AT ALL!

Once I did finish my rehab and slowly start to jog/run again I started to get shin splints (no doubt from all that extra weight I was carrying). After awhile I got fed up with being shit at life and decided to try to fix things. I started actually watching what I ate and exercising more. Eventually joining a gym close by my place.

For the past 2 months now I have been getting into it and recently (only about the last month) sticking to a weight program. I am still tweaking this weight program and figuring out what is best for me. I am still also maintaining my cardio workouts and still loosing weight.

Currently I am down to 91kg. I feel as though I have noticeably lost weight and am starting to get some definition in my shoulders and arms (very faint definition at this stage)

On the current weight program I am on I have already gone up in weight in all of the exercises I am doing. And I am feeling much stronger and fitter.

I will post my work outs and weights, plus cardio sessions, etc as ofter as I can. I'll also try to post info on my diet and supps.

Any criticism and information/advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading. More to follow.
ifiwereaspoon is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2014, 11:40 PM   #2
ifiwereaspoon
ifiwereaspoon
still finding my feet
In Training...
New Brawn

ifiwereaspoon has made some quality postsifiwereaspoon has made some quality postsifiwereaspoon has made some quality postsifiwereaspoon has made some quality postsifiwereaspoon has made some quality postsifiwereaspoon has made some quality posts
My gym program and weights has pretty much consisted of this:

My weights have gone up since I begun but I do realise they are probably still very light compared to most of the guys on here

Workout A
Flat DB Chest Press - 3 sets 12 reps 17.5kg (38.5lbs)
Incline DB Chest Press - 3 sets 12 reps 17.5kg (38.5lbs)
Standing Shoulder Press - 3 sets 12 reps 12.5kg (27.5lbs)
Ab Planks - 3 sets 1 minute
Lying DB Tricep Extensions - 2 sets 12 reps 9kg (19.8lbs)
Sit Ups - 3 sets 20 reps with 10kg (22lbs) weight plate
Flat DB Chest Flies - 3 sets 12 reps 12.5kg (27.5lbs)
Cable Tricep Pulldown - 2 sets 12 reps 40kg (88.1lbs)
Front & Lateral Raises - Superset 10 each 10kg (22lbs)
Push Ups and Bench Dips - Superset 10 each

Workout B
One Arm DB Rows - 3 sets 12/side 17.5 (38.5lbs)
Dead Lifts - 3 sets 12 reps 50kg (110lbs)
DB Lunges - 3 sets 12/side 15kg (33lbs)
BB Bent Over Rows/Upright Rows - Superset 10 each 25kg (55.1lbs)
Goblet Squats - 3 sets 12 reps 20kg (44lbs)
Lat Pull Down - 3 sets 12 reps 52kg (114.6lbs)
Leg Press - 3 sets 12 reps 82kg (180lbs)
BB Bicep Curls - 2 sets 12 reps then 1 set max 25kg (55lbs)

I usually do Workout A then a day of cardio or cross training. Next day do Workout B. Next day I usually do a "practical strength" day which usually includes Farmers Walks with about 30kg DB, a push up pyramid, heave training. Next day I have a rest day.

I am hoping to break these workouts up into 3 different workouts as it feels as though I'm cramming too much into one workout. Any advice would be appreciated!

Also, because of my previous injury I do have trouble with my hip from time to time which can affect certain exercises like squats for eg.

Cardio
For cardio I have been doing a cycling class at my gym at least 3 times a week but always after weights, i never do cardio before weights. I have also been doing a boxing circuit class twice a week which is pretty much a high intensity cross training session involving boxing combo's, push ups, sit ups, running, planking, etc.
I also plan on getting back into running soon.

Diet
I am lucky enough to have a fiance who is crazy healthy when it comes to food so that has helped a lot with my diet. We basically follow a "whole food" diet. So try and keep all the food we eat as unprocessed and natural as possible. It seems to be working pretty well. I never go hungry and always feel like I have enough energy. Lots of fruit and veggies, nuts, legumes and good quality meat. Meat wise I pretty much only eat Chicken, Beef and Kangaroo. Drink wise, I have cut out all alcohol, only have a can of soft drink around once a fortnight or month. Pretty much only drink water and small amounts of watered down juice.

Coming from a hugely unhealthy diet I think I am doing really well and I am finding the temptations for crap food to be getting less and less.

Supplements
I am pretty much only taking protein powder after weight sessions. At the moment I am taking (and loving) Optimum Nutritions Gold Standard 100% Whey (Caramel Toffee Fudge flavour ).
I also have a tub of Natures Best Isopure Vanilla Flavour which I add to berry/banana cocao smoothies that I make after hard cardio/cross train workouts.

Any advice on anything would be greatly appreciated! So feel free to speak up!
Cheers

Also, I did a session of Workout A this morning followed by a pretty full on cycling session for some cardio.

Thanks for reading.

Share with Facebook
Old 01-06-2014, 11:53 AM   #4
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,504,562, Level: 100 Points: 1,504,562, Level: 100 Points: 1,504,562, Level: 100
Activity: 73% Activity: 73% Activity: 73%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifiwereaspoon View Post
Hi all,

So after introducing myself in the introduction threads I will start my training log here. If you did not see my introduction here is a little info and bg on me:
Welcome to the forum and good luck reaching your goals.

Quote:
After awhile I got fed up with being shit at life and decided to try to fix things. I started actually watching what I ate and exercising more. Eventually joining a gym close by my place.
Great to hear. Glad life didn't keep you down.

Quote:
I am still also maintaining my cardio workouts and still loosing weight.
Excellent.

Quote:
On the current weight program I am on I have already gone up in weight in all of the exercises I am doing. And I am feeling much stronger and fitter.
Perfect.

On Workout B I would do deadlifts first.

Quote:
I am hoping to break these workouts up into 3 different workouts as it feels as though I'm cramming too much into one workout. Any advice would be appreciated!
I think that's a good idea. Break them into:

Workout 1 - Pull, Back, Biceps, Traps
Workout 2 - Push, Chest, Shoulders and Triceps
Workout 3 - Legs and Abs

Quote:
Also, because of my previous injury I do have trouble with my hip from time to time which can affect certain exercises like squats for eg.
Leg press and goblet squats will serve you well. You can also try paused squats with a lighter squat weight to see if that works for you. They are brutal.

Protein...try to get 170-180 grams per day or more.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-06-2014, 04:30 PM   #5
ifiwereaspoon
ifiwereaspoon
still finding my feet
In Training...
New Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I think that's a good idea. Break them into:

Workout 1 - Pull, Back, Biceps, Traps
Workout 2 - Push, Chest, Shoulders and Triceps
Workout 3 - Legs and Abs

Leg press and goblet squats will serve you well. You can also try paused squats with a lighter squat weight to see if that works for you. They are brutal.
Thanks for the reply! I will definitely be taking this on board. I'll start mixing up and adding some more exercises into 3 days.

With deadlifts do you think I'd benefit more from a heavier weight with less reps or visa versa?

Thanks again

Share with Facebook
Old 01-06-2014, 05:02 PM   #6
Tannhauser
Tannhauser
reads long boring books
Max Brawn
Points: 135,947, Level: 100 Points: 135,947, Level: 100 Points: 135,947, Level: 100
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

That is a truly fantastic username.

Good luck with your goals.

"The proper study of mankind is books" - Aldous Huxley
Tannhauser is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-07-2014, 04:11 AM   #7
ifiwereaspoon
ifiwereaspoon
still finding my feet
In Training...
New Brawn

Haha thanks Tannhauser!

Today I did a practical strength session for 30 mins.

3 sets Farmers Walks w/ 30kg DB (one set was a lap of the gym, probably about 40 - 50m)
3 sets of 10 reps Jump Heaves Over Grasp.
3 sets
3 sets of 15 each Push Up/Bench Dips

That was at around 11am then this afternoon did a boxing circuit class which was pretty intense but felt great. Went for an hour and the sweat was just dripping off me. My shoulders feel nice and burnt out.

Bad news is I'm going away tomorrow for 4 days so won't be able to hit the gym. Will be camping and lots of bush walking and beach but I am still bringing the kettle bells to do a little strength training. Will try and organise a few circuits to run and update once I'm back.

Once I'm back it will be Legs & Abs so that will be fun...

Cheers

Share with Facebook
Old 01-11-2014, 10:06 PM   #8
ifiwereaspoon
ifiwereaspoon
still finding my feet
In Training...
New Brawn

Hey all,

I got back from my camping trip with the Mrs yesterday arvo. Been missing the gym!!

While I was away I did what I could. Did a lot of bush walking and a little swimming (mostly just mucking around in the surf though). I managed to squeeze in one cross training kind of circuit. I brought along a 16kg kettlebell (the only one I own) and I did a circuit of push ups, squats, box jumps, tricep dips, skipping rope, kettlebell swings, upright rows. Ate a bit of crap on one of the days, got some take away and ice cream for dinner. But managed to maintain my weight. Actually weighed in 200g lighter.

This morning I got up and went to the gym to do my Legs and Abs routine.

This is how it went:
Keep in mind as it was my first time doing some of these exercises the weight might be a little low while I find my feet and get my technique right. The weights will be going up soon

Romanian Deadlift 3sets 12reps 40kg (88LBS)
DB Lunges 3sets 12each leg 15kg (33LBS)
Decline sit ups 3sets 12reps
Goblet Squats 3sets 15reps 20kg (44LBS)
Weighted Cable Crunch 3sets 10reps 50kg (110LBS)
Leg Press 3sets 12reps 84kg (185LBS)
Standing BB Calf Raises 3sets 12reps 30kg (66LBS)
Roman (Captians) Chair Straight Leg Raises 2sets 10reps
80cm Box Jumps 2sets 12reps
Planks 3sets 1min

It felt like a pretty good routine for Abs and Legs, I felt pretty rooted once I was finished, but if anyone could recommend any changes that would be great.
I'll see how I pull up tomorrow or the next day.

I will definitely be putting my weights up next time for a lot of these, particularly the Romanian Deadlift, Cable Crunches and Calf Raises.

Share with Facebook
Old 01-12-2014, 03:46 PM   #9
ifiwereaspoon
ifiwereaspoon
still finding my feet
In Training...
New Brawn

Hey all,

Just got back from the gym. Started my new Chest, Shoulders & Triceps routine today. Felt good and hard. Shoulders feel very burnt out now!

So here it is:

Flat DB Chest Press 3 sets 12 reps 17.5KG (38.5LB)
Incline DB Chest Press 3 sets 12 reps 17.5KG (38.5LB)
Standing Shoulder Press 3 sets 12 reps 12.5KG (27.5LB)
Lying DB Tricep Extentions 2 sets 10 rep 9KG (20LB)
Flat DB Chest Flies 2 sets 10 reps 12.5KG (27.5LB)
Cable Tricep Pulldown 2 sets 12 reps 40KG (88LB)
Front & Lateral Raises 2 super sets of 10 of each 8KG (17.6LB)
Push Ups & Bench Dips 2 super sets of 10 of each

Any thoughts? I'd love any suggestions.

Cheers

Share with Facebook
Old 01-13-2014, 08:53 AM   #10
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,504,562, Level: 100 Points: 1,504,562, Level: 100 Points: 1,504,562, Level: 100
Activity: 73% Activity: 73% Activity: 73%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifiwereaspoon View Post
Hey all,

Just got back from the gym. Started my new Chest, Shoulders & Triceps routine today. Felt good and hard. Shoulders feel very burnt out now!

So here it is:

Flat DB Chest Press 3 sets 12 reps 17.5KG (38.5LB)
Incline DB Chest Press 3 sets 12 reps 17.5KG (38.5LB)
Standing Shoulder Press 3 sets 12 reps 12.5KG (27.5LB)
Lying DB Tricep Extentions 2 sets 10 rep 9KG (20LB)
Flat DB Chest Flies 2 sets 10 reps 12.5KG (27.5LB)
Cable Tricep Pulldown 2 sets 12 reps 40KG (88LB)
Front & Lateral Raises 2 super sets of 10 of each 8KG (17.6LB)
Push Ups & Bench Dips 2 super sets of 10 of each

Any thoughts? I'd love any suggestions.

Cheers
Solid work.

My only suggestion is to drop front raises. They get hammered from chest and shoulder pressing and usually overdevelop. I would add upright rows or maybe Arnold presses.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook