Uber Brawn
Points: 1,682, Level: 23 Points: 1,682, Level: 23 Points: 1,682, Level: 23
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Exp: 1-2 altogether.
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: DeadLift
Fav Supp: Creatine + Beta Alanine.
My Mood: Inspired
Gorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributor
Default Gorships Routine to get some strength goin!

Its finished! mwahaha! I spent some time on this and im pretty proud of it. So I thought I would share my work out routine I am going to use for the next year at least to try and get my strength up.

I am using 5x5 rep scheme, I understand that its usually used inside of perticular programs, however, I find it works well for me because i can put a lot of focus in those 5 reps. I also have leaneance on myself, for example

in the 5x5

3 of the 5 must be 5 or the weight is too heavy

1 in the hole on the 4th set (aka no less than 4)
2 in the hole on the 5th set. (aka no less than 3)
once all sets of 5 reach 5, up the weight.

Just want to thank OffRoad, for talking to me about taking time off, so this is only a 4 day/wk routine, giving me 3 days off... which at first was hard, but im really enjoying allowing myself recover to push harder in the gym.

so here we go

The split is as follows

mon: bench day
tues: deadlift day
wed: off
thurs: overhead press day
friday: squat day
sat: off
sun: off

all the exersices are to help me increase the main lifts (usually done first when im fresh) overall poundage.

Bench day:

BB bench press
incline bench
close grip bench
cable lower chest raise
cable tricep press down

Deadlift day:

BB deadlifts
BB bent over row
one arm dumbbell row
straight arm cable push down
shrugs
close grip cable curl

Overhead press day:

Seated BB overhead press (my gym has low ceilings so i have to sit)
alternate seated palms in dumbbell press
dumbbell arnold press
face pulls
palms out lateral raises
skull crushers (as per the SS version where you bring the weight back past your head, dont know the "official term" for me they are just now known as skull crushers)

Squat day

Barbell full squat (to the ground!)
dumbell lunges. (5 per leg, so 10 lunges to make the 5x5)
Stiff legged deadlift
Trap bar Deadlift (dunno why its called this as basically i flip the hex bar so its on the low bar, and squat down and pick it up, really feel it in my quads and helps with my explosiveness from the bottom.)
Barbell curls

Pretty excited, first few days have been great. Excited to make some gains.

Thanks again to MaB for all your support and answering my random questions!

================================================== ============================================

Updated as of 09/06/2013 with new routine

So, my 5x5 program has been changed up a bit.. I am now on the "starter version" (as i like to call it) of Doug Hepburns A Routine, this covers a couple small changes, but will grow into a long term strength routine for me to use for the next long while (hopefully).

The Program:

Taken from:
http://www.muscleandstrength.com/art...g-hepburn.html

With a little help from BtB

The routine calls for a total of 8 sets of 2, im starting at 5 and im thinking, every 3 months or so, i will add on another set of 2 until we are up to the full 8

The 5-8 sets of 2 then every week you attatch on extra rep until you get to 5-8 sets of 3, then add 5 or 10 lbs and start from 2

the same goes for the rep portion but we start at 3 sets of 6 to 3 sets of 8

Day1: (monday and thursday)
Squats (power lifts)
Bench (power lifts)
Squats (for reps)
Bench (for reps)
Barbell curls (reps)

Day2: (tuesday and friday)
Deadlift (power lifts)
Over head press (power lifts)
Deadlift (for reps)
over head press (for reps)
bent over rows (reps)

Curls and rows are italicized as they are non-essentials, they are considered "fun" or "assistive" lifts that if i need to take a week off cause im too exhausted or what not its ok.

OLD Routine is seen on the first 3.5 pages.

Last edited by BendtheBar; 09-06-2013 at 10:14 PM.
Gorship is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2013, 09:11 PM   #2
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,508,236, Level: 100 Points: 1,508,236, Level: 100 Points: 1,508,236, Level: 100
Activity: 70% Activity: 70% Activity: 70%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Subbed! Get after is Gor.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-22-2013, 09:12 PM   #3
bruteforce
bruteforce
is Mr. Competitor
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,232, Level: 79 Points: 15,232, Level: 79 Points: 15,232, Level: 79
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

I'll be keeping an eye on this log. Get after it and good luck!

Share with Facebook
Old 07-23-2013, 11:34 PM   #4
Gorship
Gorship
wants to earn the right to say he Lifts
Uber Brawn

Gorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributor

Friday I should have enough Data to post where I am at. Thanks all

Share with Facebook
Old 07-26-2013, 06:26 PM   #5
Gorship
Gorship
Uber Brawn

Default First round of information.

Alright. First Round of information. Im Thinking ill do these weekly or bi-weekly. Regardless. Here are my lifts and their weight, and some information on my training thus far.

Format will be as follows
Day
Exersice
Current weight and sets and reps. (See OP for how im using the 5x5 setup to help progress.)

Bench Day

Bench:
155lbs 5,5,5,4,3
Goal for next week, 5,5,5,5,4 or 5,5,5,4,4

Incline Bench:

135 5,5,5,4,3
Goal for next week, 5,5,5,5,4 or 5,5,5,4,4

Close grip Bench

115 5,5,5,4,4
Goal: 5x5 completion.

Cable Lower Chest Raise
Leaving this out this time, I tried a variation of it that someone was telling me, i liked it but i dont know the proper name for it - ill be switching back to standard for the purpose of simplicity and tracking.

Cable Tricep push down

130 ; 5x5
increasing weight to 140.

Deadlift Day

Dead lifts

240 5,5,5,4,3
next week, 5,5,5,4,4.

Bent over row

150 5x5
160 next week.

One arm dumbell Row

65 5x5
upping to 70

Straight arm push down (cable)

100 5x5
upping to 110

Shrugs

65 5x5
upping to 75

Close Grip Cable Curl

100 5x5
upping to 110.

Overhead Press

Seated BB Overhead press

(this one was awkward as I tried 120 and found myself failing so

at 115lbs, 5,5,4
at 105lbs, 5,5
I will work at 110 and see if i can hit 5x5, if so, then next week I just gotta man up on the 120.

Alternating Seated Dumbell press (palms in)

again, weirdness occured.

at 45lbs 5,5,4
at 40lbs 5,5

achieve 5x5 at 40, then man up the following week at 45.

DB arnold press

35lbs 5x5
uppin to 40's

Face pulls

110 5x5
upping to 120

Palms out lateral raise

20lbs 5,5,5,4,4
Skull Crushers

75lbs 5x5
up to 85.

Squat day

BB Squat (to the ground)

115lbs 5
125lbs 5,5,5,4

Sticking at 125, and sticking with it till my adducters strengthen up. then should be at the plate a side soon enough.

dumbell lunges

60lbs (2x30lb dumbells) 5,5,5,4,4

Stiff legged BB DL

180 5x5.
... 190 next week, uhg.. my glutes... oh my poor glutes.

Trap bar deadlifts (slight variation, I go low to work on my quads and adducters some more. feels good!)

135 5,5,5,5,4
go for 5x5 next week!

BB curl

75lbs, 5,5,5,4,3

--------------

There we go! Till next week(ish)

Last edited by Gorship; 07-27-2013 at 12:14 AM.

Share with Facebook
Old 07-26-2013, 07:33 PM   #6
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,508,236, Level: 100 Points: 1,508,236, Level: 100 Points: 1,508,236, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Real solid work. Just keep trusting the process making that slow progression crawl and you'll smash goals.

Share with Facebook
Old 07-28-2013, 06:33 PM   #7
Gorship
Gorship
Uber Brawn

Hams and glutes are feeling toast a couple days after leg day.

my favorite stretch if your legs are feeling stiff and tight is the "3rd world squat"

This is also actually the track I use for my squats (or at least EXTREMELY similar too).

If you got legs that feel super tight, sit like this for 10 seconds, bounce a little bit, stand up and squat down again. You might fall over if your feelin really tight, so just adjust your feet and slowly bring yourself back into normal feeling.

Just adding some stuff to mah training log! WORD.

Share with Facebook
Old 07-28-2013, 07:03 PM   #8
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

^ I do that with 135 on my back to help my big self get down.

Share with Facebook
Old 07-29-2013, 06:52 PM   #9
Gorship
Gorship
Uber Brawn

Default Learning time for Gorship.

Hey guys, Wanted to talk about my chest workout today and get your thoughts and tell you what i found anyway.

So my initial question for you more expierenced lifters than myself would be.

Have you noticed, when doing either 5x5 or higher overall set/rep routines that imbalanced muscles become noticed?

Reason that i ask this question is that my bench press tanked today. Normally i can bench 155, and today 135 was a challenge after failing on 155 for 2 sets of ~4-5 where im being generous giving myself the 5 or 4. What happened you may ask?

my right arm tricep happened! It just died on me all together, I almost threw plates around in the gym I was so upset! I had to investigate. So I dropped the weight on the rest of my sets (I had to with a dead arm) and did some personal investigation.

Form:
Ok first thing I needed to check was my form, and there was a couple things i needed to straighten out.

1st
: I was pushing on a forward angle a little bit, which will kill your power.

2nd
: my grip width that I thought was good, I needed to inspect. Now since it was just me in the gym I had to be creative.

I did a quick google search to make sure my facts on grip width were correct. After looking up that indeed as i thought your elbows should be perpindicular to the ground and the bar should go just below your nipple and straight up in a slight J curve.

Ok so If i know this... why wasnt it happening?
Well, I had surgery on my Right elbow, and it turns out that it has a bit different of an angle then my left! (fancy that eh?) so how am I gunna get this figured out. I was pretty proud of this, so if your tryin to figure out your grip width by yourself. Give this a shot!

Take the barbell, and put it on the ground.
Lay on the ground, and grab that barbell and toss it up like your about to bench, now get to your lowered position with it just below your nipples and get your arch and everything nice and tight, and feel the ground underneath your elbow to shoulder, and make sure your forearm is straight up. make sure the bar feels even on both sides.

Ta.. Da... if that feels comfy going up and down 6-12 times, for me anyway, that was my new grip width. Turns out, when i measure it on the grooves, my right arm is a finger width wider than my left (weird eh?).

So how am I going to warm up and get this figured out, well again for me, I had to figure this out, so i noticed in my prior grip width my right arm would collapse quicker than my left. SO! I grabbed 2x10lbs plates and threw them on the bar, no collars, now follow your movement SUPER slow and keep the bar completely level with the ground, and allow your hands to smooth out so your grip gets comfortable to being where it should be (NOTE: you are no longer measuring with the grooves, but your measuring with your body, thus take a second and make sure the bar is still divided on both halves of your body properly.)

anyway...

all in all i learned two things

1) this 5x5 has exposed that my tri's are going to need to catch up so im going to have to initially drop some weight.

2) everybody is different in how their body is designed and how it bends, and there will be times when we need to enjoy the process of figuring out how to maximize the EFFECTIVENESS of our lifts, even if that means dropping the poundage for a few weeks.

Until next time!
Gorship.

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 07-30-2013, 09:28 PM   #10
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Great thoughts Gor! Stay strong man.

Share with Facebook