Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 07-19-2013, 04:01 PM   #1
LindenGarcia18
LindenGarcia18
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 6,341, Level: 51 Points: 6,341, Level: 51 Points: 6,341, Level: 51
Activity: 32% Activity: 32% Activity: 32%

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Dips
My Mood: Happy
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting machineLindenGarcia18 is a lifting machineLindenGarcia18 is a lifting machineLindenGarcia18 is a lifting machineLindenGarcia18 is a lifting machineLindenGarcia18 is a lifting machineLindenGarcia18 is a lifting machineLindenGarcia18 is a lifting machineLindenGarcia18 is a lifting machineLindenGarcia18 is a lifting machineLindenGarcia18 is a lifting machine
Default How much protein before its bad for you?

Sometimes I work out late, and have my meals late.
Its getting better and I'm learning how to sort my day out better in terms of meal timings, but as of yet its still happening.
Not as much or as late as before, but for the moment, given my pretty busy schedule, sometimes I have no choice but to do so.

For example I might have my 35 grams protein shake, my pb sandwich, and then remember I have to get my 200 grams of protein a day in and have to find another 20-30 grams from something or other.

That seems like allot of protein in one sitting, and actually allot of protein in general per day.

Are there any serious side effects for consuming either too much protein for my weight, and having too much in one sitting?

Thanks

-Linden
LindenGarcia18 is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2013, 04:17 PM   #2
JBrown
JBrown
knows who he is and does not sweat hypocrisy - 180 lbs 40 years old...1200 or die!!!!
Brawn
Points: 1,335, Level: 20 Points: 1,335, Level: 20 Points: 1,335, Level: 20
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: Dos anos mas o menos
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Visualization/Focus
My Mood: Relaxed
JBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributor

Personally don't care if I eat before bed. But in case schedule happens to dictate, that'd be one of my two meals for the day and would be choking down as much as possible. So 80-100 grams or more. Fruit and vegetables all day though. Just get in your 150-200 grams whenever until you get over 200lbs,and then bump it up accordingly. I weigh 180 or so.

Edit:
Probably only potential for side affect if you have weak organs, or bad health in general--system might not react well. Obv not a doc but youre young and assume healthy so don't stress, Son!

Last edited by JBrown; 07-19-2013 at 05:46 PM.
JBrown is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-19-2013, 05:05 PM   #3
BravenFenix
BravenFenix
is after maximum strength/muscle mass
Max Brawn
Points: 2,047, Level: 27 Points: 2,047, Level: 27 Points: 2,047, Level: 27
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Exp: 04/2013
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Flavorless Whey
My Mood: Lurking
BravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributor

Honestly, timing does not matter with solid foods... I obsessed over this for almost 5 years..dude it doesnt matter, shakes don't matter. You just have to eat and track protein to get around 1g/day. My favorite video by bearded beast was the one on lifting and having fun. He said how time heals all wounds in weight training and not to over complicate things. I was doing the exact opposite of that. I did Intermittent fasting for 2 years, low carb, high carb, keto, everything and I was unable to train to since I was injured from kickboxing. I started lifting in April and tracked calories/protein and didn't do anything about timing.

Several places ive seen above 1.3b/lb doesnt do anything really other than be broken for glucose, but i havnt seen anything really saying up to 2g/lb causes problems of normal healthy people without organ issues.

Eat when you want to eat, just make sure you gain a little weight each month. Having said that, if your main source of protein are shakes i would stick with having them every 3-4 hours in smaller doses (around 30g) because they do get oxidized quickly unless they are solid foods.

I usually have a shake a few hours after waking, workout later in the day and eat dinner. Or have eggs, then shake few hours later, workout and dinner. Your healthy, your weight training.
BravenFenix is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-19-2013, 07:33 PM   #4
Soldier
Soldier
gets crabby on low carb days.
Max Brawn
Points: 11,728, Level: 71 Points: 11,728, Level: 71 Points: 11,728, Level: 71
Activity: 48% Activity: 48% Activity: 48%

Training Exp: On and off for 15 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Doubtful
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

All of the research that shows negative reactions from too much protein was done on post-menopausal women. They often show issues with organ functions if they have too much protein, primarily in the kidneys, but I believe that the negative effects are overrated for healthy younger people. You won't have any negative side effects from 200g of protein, and if you take in 60-80 grams in one sitting every now and then you'll be just fine. I've been known to drink protein shakes that have over 100g of protein and have had no noticeable problems.

Try not to create problems that don't exist. Do what you need to do, follow the program you've got, and deal with problems if and only if they actually arise.

As a side note, it's good to see you still active around here. People like me need people like you to make us feel important, lol.
Deadlift- 515
Total- 1295
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-19-2013, 07:47 PM   #5
bruteforce
bruteforce
is Mr. Competitor
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 14,382, Level: 77 Points: 14,382, Level: 77 Points: 14,382, Level: 77
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

i often take in 150g in a single sitting

Share with Facebook
Old 07-19-2013, 08:57 PM   #6
The_Big_Sleep
The_Big_Sleep
is Strong(er)
Epigenetically Gifted
Max Brawn
Points: 1,825, Level: 25 Points: 1,825, Level: 25 Points: 1,825, Level: 25
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
My Mood: Inspired
The_Big_Sleep is a lifting machineThe_Big_Sleep is a lifting machineThe_Big_Sleep is a lifting machineThe_Big_Sleep is a lifting machineThe_Big_Sleep is a lifting machineThe_Big_Sleep is a lifting machineThe_Big_Sleep is a lifting machineThe_Big_Sleep is a lifting machineThe_Big_Sleep is a lifting machineThe_Big_Sleep is a lifting machineThe_Big_Sleep is a lifting machine

The body can handle a significantly large amount of any macronutrient in a given feeding, but the question we should be concerned about is how much of that dose results in a sustained rate of muscle protein synthesis (MPS)? Furthermore, is there a ceiling/cap to postprandial MPS?

The past several years of research have elucidated upon this topic substantially. One such example being the finding that co-ingestion of leucine with whey protein did not result in a significant difference between whole-body protein turnover in individuals who drank solely whey protein. Granted the caveat of this study is that it was concerned with whole-body protein turnover, not just skeletal muscle protein turnover (for body composition purposes, we obviously aren’t looking for hypertrophy of say, liver or gut tissue).

Team HALEO Rep
‡Echo in Eternity‡

http://www.haleo.com/

Like Us On Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/HaleoFB

•A mind too active is no mind at all•
The_Big_Sleep is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-19-2013, 09:56 PM   #7
jdmalm123
jdmalm123
has alien fiberz
Less is More
Max Brawn
Points: 11,553, Level: 70 Points: 11,553, Level: 70 Points: 11,553, Level: 70
Activity: 48% Activity: 48% Activity: 48%

Yeti Sports 1 Long Ass Shot Champion! Cat Batting Champion!
Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: All of 'em
Fav Supp: Milk shake
My Mood: Yeehaw
jdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindenGarcia18 View Post
Are there any serious side effects for consuming either too much protein for my weight, and having too much in one sitting?
side effects of extra protein while lifting:

(random internet pic)

Farting? But you'll be asleep so no worries.

No, not really. Unless you are not drinking enough fluids, you will be fine.

Good for you ensuring you get your protein....
I trained for years under-eating and wondering where the size was!
Without adequate food you may get a little stronger, you may get leaner, but you won't get bigger.

"Trust the process."
"Just get stronger, you bunch of knuckleheads."
- Steve Shaw, MaB Founder
jdmalm123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook