Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 07-04-2013, 07:14 AM   #11
Soldier
Soldier
gets crabby on low carb days.
Max Brawn
Points: 11,771, Level: 71 Points: 11,771, Level: 71 Points: 11,771, Level: 71
Activity: 45% Activity: 45% Activity: 45%

Training Exp: On and off for 15 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Doubtful
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown View Post
After reading this I'm feeling wraps are more comparable to a slingshot rather than a belt because they aid in overload?
I'd say in some ways they are like a slingshot. Like a slingshot they help you move more weight, they help more at the bottom and they also protect you from injury.

But modern wraps are more similar to real gear. The original design was to protect the joints, but it's gone past that now and the fact that they allow you to lift more weight basically negates the injury preventing effects.

I'd say that wraps could be used for overload, but I think if someone is trying to increase their squat without wraps then wraps are best used only when the volume is so high that knee pain is an issue, OR if there are preexisting injuries.
Deadlift- 515
Total- 1295
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2013, 07:59 AM   #12
storm1507
storm1507
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 5,137, Level: 45 Points: 5,137, Level: 45 Points: 5,137, Level: 45
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Con-Cret :D
storm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post

The first few times you squat in tight wraps you'll feel like your knees are going to be ripped apart. Be prepared for it. The way you wrap and the wraps that work best for you depend on how you squat. If you are someone who drops hard and uses rebound to get up then you'll need a looser wrap that places the bulk of the wrap directly behind your knee. You'll also want a wrap that has more bulk. Putting more wrap behind your knee will give lots of support to your knee right at the bottom without hindering your ability to drop faster.

I'm dropping hard to squat. When you say more wrap behind the knee are you saying when wrapping the back part of the leg go directly behind the knee and as you come to the front go mostly below or above the joint???

Thanks for the info.
storm1507 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-04-2013, 09:12 AM   #13
Soldier
Soldier
Max Brawn

Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm1507 View Post
I'm dropping hard to squat. When you say more wrap behind the knee are you saying when wrapping the back part of the leg go directly behind the knee and as you come to the front go mostly below or above the joint???

Thanks for the info.
Negative. If you did that then the wrap would actually be trying to bend the knee, and would resist as you tried to extend the knee. Obviously, this isn't what you want. Instead, I would start with a traditional wrap (basically you start at the bottom in front of the knee cap then slowly move up the leg as you wrap), but have the individual wraps overlap more right at the knee joint. The cumulative effect would be that the wrap is much thicker right at the knee joint.

Maybe I'll do a video to better explain and demonstrate what I'm talking about. I know it's hard to understand in writing.
Deadlift- 515
Total- 1295

Share with Facebook
Old 07-04-2013, 09:46 AM   #14
Shorts
Shorts
is chasing Elite!
Hulk Smash!
Max Brawn
Points: 3,430, Level: 36 Points: 3,430, Level: 36 Points: 3,430, Level: 36
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: FOOD, nom nom
My Mood: Inspired
Shorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machine

Soldier has it spot on, I drop hard when I am squatting in my wraps so the traditional wrap works best for me.

Overlap the material the most around the bend in the knee and you will get really good exploding power out of the hole. This is also helps for me because that is where I am weakest.

Class I Total @ 198: 525/335/600 (1460)

"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training.... What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable."
-Socrates
Shorts is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-04-2013, 11:25 AM   #15
storm1507
storm1507
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 5,137, Level: 45 Points: 5,137, Level: 45 Points: 5,137, Level: 45
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Fav Supp: Con-Cret :D
storm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
Negative. If you did that then the wrap would actually be trying to bend the knee, and would resist as you tried to extend the knee. Obviously, this isn't what you want. Instead, I would start with a traditional wrap (basically you start at the bottom in front of the knee cap then slowly move up the leg as you wrap), but have the individual wraps overlap more right at the knee joint. The cumulative effect would be that the wrap is much thicker right at the knee joint.

Maybe I'll do a video to better explain and demonstrate what I'm talking about. I know it's hard to understand in writing.
I understand now. Thanks.
storm1507 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-05-2013, 03:09 AM   #16
afraziaaaa
afraziaaaa
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 2,382, Level: 29 Points: 2,382, Level: 29 Points: 2,382, Level: 29
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Whey Protein
afraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machine

Little update on my knee wrap blunder...I wrapped them myself for a light set today and was able to get my form correct. I wrapped them pretty lightly although it was still uncomfortable, but I did get good support and rebound from them. I think I had two issues the first time I tried them. First, I lacked confidence in using the wraps with a heavy weight and second, they were just way too tight for my virgin knees the first time!

My plan from here on out is to buy some cheapo wraps from sports authority or similar and train with those over the next few weeks with progressive tightness. That should help me work up to using my 2.5m elitefts wraps with progessive tightness heading up to my meet in Nov. I think this is the best way for me, and possibly other virgin knees to successfully employ knee wraps in their training.
afraziaaaa is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-05-2013, 09:23 AM   #17
Soldier
Soldier
Max Brawn

Sounds like a plan. Good luck!
Deadlift- 515
Total- 1295

Share with Facebook