Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 07-03-2013, 05:51 PM   #1
afraziaaaa
afraziaaaa
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 2,829, Level: 32 Points: 2,829, Level: 32 Points: 2,829, Level: 32
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Whey Protein
afraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machine
Default Knee Wrap help/advice (RAW)

Had my knees wrapped for the first time today during my max effort squat session. It was very awkward. I felt way off balance at first and also had trouble sitting back. I just couldn't seem to do it. I have the 2.5m red wraps from elitefts. They are supposed to be the least aggressive wrap "good for raw squatters". My training partner who wrapped my knees said that he was giving me a light wrap. It felt super tight to me, haha!

Has anyone else had this experience? What advice can any more experienced lifters offer aside from "just takes practice"? My PR with no wraps is 535, but 455 with wraps felt like 365 even though I was way forward and had awful form. So, I know I will get a great carryover from them once I can actually get down in the hole properly. How can I get better?

Thanks to anyone for offering advice.
afraziaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2013, 05:57 PM   #2
JPPrice
JPPrice
is working to break down the door to the 2,000 club.
Brawn
Points: 374, Level: 7 Points: 374, Level: 7 Points: 374, Level: 7
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 17
Fav Supp: None
JPPrice has made some very good postsJPPrice has made some very good postsJPPrice has made some very good postsJPPrice has made some very good postsJPPrice has made some very good postsJPPrice has made some very good postsJPPrice has made some very good postsJPPrice has made some very good postsJPPrice has made some very good postsJPPrice has made some very good postsJPPrice has made some very good posts

They take a bit to get used to. Also, play with different wrapping styles and figure what you like best. I started wrapping earlier this year and its a great asset for the platform if done right. Also, they can and will hurt and be uncomfortable, regardless. You can YouTube all different ways top lifters wrap their knees.
JPPrice is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-03-2013, 08:48 PM   #3
afraziaaaa
afraziaaaa
has no status.
Max Brawn

afraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machine

Nice. I don't mind the discomfort really. How long did it take you to get used to them?

I am thinking of wrapping my knees on all my squat sessions for a while until I get the hang of it.

Gym PRs:
Raw w/wraps
650/455/635

My current log:
http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums...494#post458494

Share with Facebook
Old 07-03-2013, 08:57 PM   #4
Soldier
Soldier
is judging you.
Max Brawn
Points: 13,648, Level: 75 Points: 13,648, Level: 75 Points: 13,648, Level: 75
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: On and off for 15 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Doubtful
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

I've done a ton of experimenting with wraps over the last few months. I ended up creating my very own wrapping method that makes it extremely hard to bend my knees. Any time you use new supportive gear it's going to feel weird at first. The key is patience. not only patience to put in the practice to get used to it, but also patience to complete the lift itself. Take your time, use the right form and let the wraps do their job.

The first few times you squat in tight wraps you'll feel like your knees are going to be ripped apart. Be prepared for it. The way you wrap and the wraps that work best for you depend on how you squat. If you are someone who drops hard and uses rebound to get up then you'll need a looser wrap that places the bulk of the wrap directly behind your knee. You'll also want a wrap that has more bulk. Putting more wrap behind your knee will give lots of support to your knee right at the bottom without hindering your ability to drop faster.

If, on the other hand, you squat like I do and descend more slowly, slowing even more as you get to the bottom then exploding up, you're going to want a tight wrap that places more material on the front of the knee to increase support throughout the movement. This is generally referred to as a "cast like" wrap. The wrap itself is generally not as bulky, but that's less important than how you wrap.

If you think wraps help, you should try a squat suit! I feel like a machine with my suit and wraps on.
Goals-
Win.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-03-2013, 09:24 PM   #5
JPPrice
JPPrice
is working to break down the door to the 2,000 club.
Brawn
Points: 374, Level: 7 Points: 374, Level: 7 Points: 374, Level: 7

Training Exp: 17
Fav Supp: None
JPPrice has made some very good postsJPPrice has made some very good postsJPPrice has made some very good postsJPPrice has made some very good postsJPPrice has made some very good postsJPPrice has made some very good postsJPPrice has made some very good postsJPPrice has made some very good postsJPPrice has made some very good postsJPPrice has made some very good postsJPPrice has made some very good posts

I personally wouldn't wrap every session unless you're going all out all the time. I usually only use mine working up to around 80% or more of my wrapped max. It's like a belt, I try to use it sparingly and only when needed.
JPPrice is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-03-2013, 09:32 PM   #6
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,480,873, Level: 100 Points: 1,480,873, Level: 100 Points: 1,480,873, Level: 100
Activity: 44% Activity: 44% Activity: 44%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I recommend guys get some tweener wraps. Rickey Dale Crain has some supportive wraps that are not as stiff. I used these for a year before diving into some serious powerlifting wraps. They provided enough support for me to feel a big difference, but weren't difficult to get used to.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-03-2013, 09:45 PM   #7
Soldier
Soldier
is judging you.
Max Brawn
Points: 13,648, Level: 75 Points: 13,648, Level: 75 Points: 13,648, Level: 75
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: On and off for 15 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Doubtful
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I recommend guys get some tweener wraps. Rickey Dale Crain has some supportive wraps that are not as stiff. I used these for a year before diving into some serious powerlifting wraps. They provided enough support for me to feel a big difference, but weren't difficult to get used to.
Definitely. I got my first wraps from Rogue as an afterthought along with a bar I was ordering. I still use these for training because they aren't as hardcore, then when it comes time for heavier lifts I move to my Titan THP's. The THP's are harder to wrap and far more uncomfortable, but it's totally worth it when I pop back up.

I'd recommend using your wraps for any heavier weights for a couple weeks to really get the hang of it, then backing off and doing work both with and without the wraps. I'm used to them now, so even when I haven't been training with them I can throw them on for a heavy set and they won't through me off too much.
Goals-
Win.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-03-2013, 09:52 PM   #8
JBrown
JBrown
knows who he is and does not sweat hypocrisy - 180 lbs 40 years old...1200 or die!!!!
Brawn
Points: 1,832, Level: 25 Points: 1,832, Level: 25 Points: 1,832, Level: 25

Training Exp: Dos anos mas o menos
Fav Supp: Visualization/Focus
My Mood: Relaxed
JBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributor

Glad the knee/elbow wrap topic came about, when it did. I've a question of my own.

A belt supports mostly muscle where wraps support mostly joints.

Are the wraps really that similar to belts in that belt use can be justified at almost any level?
JBrown is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-03-2013, 10:10 PM   #9
JBrown
JBrown
knows who he is and does not sweat hypocrisy - 180 lbs 40 years old...1200 or die!!!!
Brawn
Points: 1,832, Level: 25 Points: 1,832, Level: 25 Points: 1,832, Level: 25

Training Exp: Dos anos mas o menos
Fav Supp: Visualization/Focus
My Mood: Relaxed
JBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
Definitely. I got my first wraps from Rogue as an afterthought along with a bar I was ordering. I still use these for training because they aren't as hardcore, then when it comes time for heavier lifts I move to my Titan THP's. The THP's are harder to wrap and far more uncomfortable, but it's totally worth it when I pop back up.

I'd recommend using your wraps for any heavier weights for a couple weeks to really get the hang of it, then backing off and doing work both with and without the wraps. I'm used to them now, so even when I haven't been training with them I can throw them on for a heavy set and they won't through me off too much.
After reading this I'm feeling wraps are more comparable to a slingshot rather than a belt because they aid in overload?
JBrown is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-04-2013, 01:50 AM   #10
afraziaaaa
afraziaaaa
has no status.
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Are you referring to these?

Up_Close_Wraps

Guys, what about just some cheapo wraps from sports authority or something like that? Anyone used something like that?

Share with Facebook