Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:14 PM   #1
bruteforce
bruteforce
is Mr. Competitor
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,108, Level: 79 Points: 15,108, Level: 79 Points: 15,108, Level: 79
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Default Brute's ILSA Strongman Write up

To start off, I want to say thank you to Steve here for all his help in keeping me focused and progressing. Stronger every day. A big thanks as well to the crew from BeStrong up here in Bloomington. Now is the time.

This contest was actually one of the best run I've been to. Things went smoothly and quickly, judging was fair, and there were corn dogs available down the street. What more could you ask for.

We started with the record breaker for deadlifts before the actual competition. Our pre-teen set a state record pulling 275. (He's 12 and maybe 120 pounds) Our teens broke their record with a 545 deadlift. Our 200# guy broke theirs with 605 and our women broke their record with 325. Our super heavies didn't break any records though. We had to attempt 645 to break it, and neither Greg nor I could get it off the ground. Still, it was a good time. Then Dustin, one of the super heavies that trains with us sometimes pulled it with no effort without warming up. So there's that, haha.

Our first official event was the truck pull. We had an 18000 pound semi this time. Last time it was a little heavier, but it took me 88 seconds to complete the course. This time I got it done in just over 25 seconds and about .3 seconds slower than the guy who took second place.

After that we had overhead pressing with axles and logs. I managed to get the 200 pound axle without a problem, but the 220 was too much for me. It didn't help that it was raining off and on, but everyone else had to deal with it too. Still, next time I will have no problem with the axle I am sure.

After the overhead pressing, We did a farmers walk. Us fat guys had to use 240 pounds per hand. I was slower than the other guys, but the weight wasn't too bad.

Second to last was the keg carry. The lighter weight classes got to use a 160 pound keg and a lot of them dropped it and let it roll and picked it back up, which is supposed to disqualify them but the judges didn't say much. It was kind of funny watching them slowly tip forward and try to run faster to keep from falling. Kind of scary too, but slightly comical. We had the 240 keg, and this was the first time I have actually been able to walk with it, so I'm pretty happy about that. I made it the whole way, but I was pretty slow.

Finally we had the atlas stones. We used a 300 pound stone and I was actually able to get it into my lap (first time ever) a couple times and almost stood up with it, but lost my grip on it. On the second time, my leg cramped and I dropped the stone, then started seeing stars and had to stop. I don't mind the seeing stars, but its hard to grab the stone again when you're dizzy.

Overall, I feel like it was a WAY better contest than last time. I was able to really try hard and make some new PRs so I was really happy with it.

I'll try to get some pics and videos up soon.

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2013, 06:20 PM   #2
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Checkers Champion! Mario Kart Extreme! Champion! NG Holdem Champion! Javelin Champion! Mouse Batting Champion! Keno Champion!
Training Type: Other
My Mood: Cynical
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Nice work Brute! Looking forward to pics.

Share with Facebook
Old 07-01-2013, 06:32 PM   #3
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,482,261, Level: 100 Points: 1,482,261, Level: 100 Points: 1,482,261, Level: 100
Activity: 44% Activity: 44% Activity: 44%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

We're all proud of you hombre. Each time you close the gap between yourself and that top dog. Keep pushing. You've added a ton of strength the last 2 years but you've only just begun. You have amazing potential.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-01-2013, 07:05 PM   #4
MikeM
MikeM
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
My Mood: Cheeky
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

Great job Brute!!

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)
Best gym lifts: Sq 375, Bench 280 (pause), DL 385 @205 or less
Goals: 3/4/5
Goals beyond my wildest dreams, 600 Kg raw total, 200/160/240

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-01-2013, 07:10 PM   #5
Off Road
Off Road
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Sounds like you are making some really fast progress in the events. Rock On Big Brute.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-02-2013, 01:11 AM   #6
markievicz
markievicz
is a Squataholic
Max Brawn
Points: 12,728, Level: 73 Points: 12,728, Level: 73 Points: 12,728, Level: 73
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 2.5yrs
Fav Exercise: OHP
My Mood: Lurking
markievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master member

Nice wire up, sounds like a great day.
Really great to see how you are making great strides in progress from meet to meet. Very well done Brute

Twitter: @markievicz5
YouTube: Markievicz5
markievicz is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-02-2013, 01:37 AM   #7
big_swede
big_swede
Strongman
Max Brawn
Points: 33,381, Level: 100 Points: 33,381, Level: 100 Points: 33,381, Level: 100
Activity: 23% Activity: 23% Activity: 23%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
My Mood: Yeehaw
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Great efgort man!!!

Share with Facebook
Old 07-02-2013, 01:45 AM   #8
ravimolasaria
ravimolasaria
Wanted to be as strong as a polar bear ...
Max Brawn
Points: 25,381, Level: 96 Points: 25,381, Level: 96 Points: 25,381, Level: 96
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Training Exp: 10
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Whatever makes me strong
My Mood: Yeehaw
ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!

Superb progress #BRUTEMODE ... keep up the great work buddy ... looking forward to pics and vids ...

Share with Facebook
Old 07-02-2013, 03:22 AM   #9
Kuytrider
Kuytrider
is Yosif Zhelyazko Lynch
Max Brawn
Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Protein Powder
Kuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master member

Great work Brute. Steve's right, you have all the tools to become a strongman beast! Can't imagine pushing a 300 pound rock left alone lift the bloody thing!

Getting it done one session at a time.
Kuytrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-02-2013, 03:30 AM   #10
1Strength
1Strength
Bodybuilding day
Deadlift Only Dude
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,018, Level: 17 Points: 1,018, Level: 17 Points: 1,018, Level: 17
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Training Exp: 9 years
Training Type: Other
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Dymatize Elite Whey
My Mood: Cheerful
1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor

Great write-up! Damn cool!

My YouTube Channel
1Strength is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook