Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 07-04-2013, 12:31 PM   #1
EliteDreams
EliteDreams
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn
Points: 12,503, Level: 73 Points: 12,503, Level: 73 Points: 12,503, Level: 73
Activity: 33% Activity: 33% Activity: 33%

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Steak
My Mood: Asleep
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!
Default Deadlift - knees in the way

Back wants to round when I get the bar to my knees, they are too far forward. Also when I start, the closer I have my hips forward, the more my shoulders are in front of the bar. Weak hamstrings? I've tried different foot positions, nothing yet. Tried spreading the knees out wide, but when I do that I sit too low like an oly lifter and have no leverage.

From today:

The gates of hell have been unlocked, headstones pushed aside!
EliteDreams is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2013, 12:42 PM   #2
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,505,783, Level: 100 Points: 1,505,783, Level: 100 Points: 1,505,783, Level: 100
Activity: 71% Activity: 71% Activity: 71%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

You are leaving your hips back, not driving them forward. As a result you are sliding or hitching to get the weight up - leaning back a bit. This is forcing you to pull the bar over your knees.

Think about driving your head back and hips forward to lockout the deadlift. You are not using your hips enough and losing your power, and simply trying to pull the back up with bent knees and all back.

After you start to lose your power, your knees dip a bit and you hitch. This is common as lifters try to slink under the bar. When they can't lift it, they end up bending the knees to get it higher on the quads.

Once you learn to drive your head back and hips forward you probably won't notice a knee issue. Right now, when you get stuck with the bar below your knees and start to hitch, you are dipping your knees and causing them to get in the way.

From the point you are at in the video...drive your head back and hips forward.
Attached Thumbnails
elite.jpg  

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 07-04-2013 at 12:47 PM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-04-2013, 02:19 PM   #3
Trevor Lane
Trevor Lane
wants to be like Kaz
I am a VIKING!
Max Brawn
Points: 10,358, Level: 67 Points: 10,358, Level: 67 Points: 10,358, Level: 67
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Urban Sniper Champion!
Training Exp: A few
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: T-Bomb II
My Mood: Aggressive
Trevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beast

A good trick to correct the issues Steve pointed out is to look up from the floor to lockout... then look forward after lockout as if you're looking to the lights on your lift. I would also recommend losing the straps, unless you're in a federation that allows them.

Last edited by Trevor Lane; 07-04-2013 at 02:23 PM.
Trevor Lane is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-04-2013, 11:12 PM   #4
EliteDreams
EliteDreams
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn
Points: 12,503, Level: 73 Points: 12,503, Level: 73 Points: 12,503, Level: 73
Activity: 33% Activity: 33% Activity: 33%

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Steak
My Mood: Asleep
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!

Thanks for the love!

I use straps when I'm having a bad day.

The gates of hell have been unlocked, headstones pushed aside!
EliteDreams is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-05-2013, 12:11 AM   #5
ndrwdslv
ndrwdslv
chasing 405 DL
Max Brawn
Points: 3,846, Level: 39 Points: 3,846, Level: 39 Points: 3,846, Level: 39
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 2
Fav Exercise: Sumo DL
Fav Supp: Lactose-free Milk
ndrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machine

Man, if you get those hips moving.. I bet you could go for 500 sooner than you think! Impressive that you can get that 425 up without your hips.
ndrwdslv is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook