Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:09 AM   #1
SecondsOut
SecondsOut
posted a post in this thread. He did posting to you.
Max Brawn
Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Oxidane
My Mood: Lurking
SecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beast
Question High Fat Diet on a Bulk

Recently, I've been eating a lot more fat than carbs. I'm not really doing it on purpose, I've just been wanting high-fat stuff like eggs, nuts, bacon, and whole milk. I'm fine with it, just curious to get your thoughts on high fat diets while on a bulk.
I'm not trying to get this effect, but I've found articles on different sites that say high fat diets -- particularly saturated fat -- affect your hormones. Specifically, some say fat intake boosts your test level (obviously not as high as gear). I can say that I've made a lot of progress in the past on a high fat diet, but I wasn't eating like that to boost test.
So what are your thoughts and experiences with high fat diets? Have you noticed quicker, more noticeable gains while eating high fat compared to eating high carbs?

Last edited by SecondsOut; 06-19-2013 at 10:13 AM.
SecondsOut is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2013, 10:39 AM   #2
Off Road
Off Road
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

I think everybody is different in how they react to certain eating protocols. When I'm serious about my diet, which I am currently NOT, I alternate the different days ala Shelby Starnes. Some days are high protein, moderate fat and low carbs, while others are moderate protein, low fat and high carbs. I use the high carbs to fuel and recover from the biggest workouts but the total calories don't really change day to day.

But right now I'm just eating like a hot mess; high protein, high fat, and high carbs. It's my Anti-Summer ABZ diet
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-19-2013, 10:55 AM   #3
moeheep
moeheep
wants a 900lb Total
Max Brawn
Points: 7,612, Level: 58 Points: 7,612, Level: 58 Points: 7,612, Level: 58
Activity: 77% Activity: 77% Activity: 77%

Training Exp: 1.5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: DEADS
Fav Supp: Condense
My Mood: Amazed
moeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite member

I eat high fat (150-180 grams a day), high protein (240-280 grams a day) and I have good luck with it.

FYI, I lost over 100 lbs and high fat, high protein has kept it off for 13 months....while getting me JACKED at the same time....(just kidding about the jacked part)

Best Meet Lifts:
Squat = 319
Bench = 204
Dead = 336
Total = 859

The iron is there during my times of happiness, sadness and anger. The iron is there available through the 4 seasons and inclement weather. The iron is there to either comfort me or motivate me. The Iron manages to show me how strong I am or how humble I need to be. The iron does not yell, but it always demands respect. The iron is not a disciplinarian, but when disrespected, I feel it for a long time. The iron does not love or hate, but we definitely share a strong bond. And no matter how far I stay away or for how long, the iron is there, waiting to be lifted.

Last edited by moeheep; 06-19-2013 at 12:54 PM.
moeheep is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-19-2013, 12:45 PM   #4
OHDL
OHDL
Wants more milk!
Max Brawn
Points: 3,317, Level: 35 Points: 3,317, Level: 35 Points: 3,317, Level: 35
Activity: 29% Activity: 29% Activity: 29%

100m Running Champion!
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Milk
My Mood: Tired
OHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beast

I was thinking of posting this exact thread :P Im on a high fat bulk right now. Grains really dont agree with me and so basically all my cals are from fat and protein. The only carbs i get are from full fat milk, veg, fruit and chocolate occasionally. Im finding i never feel bloated and find it easier to put away the calories on high fat. When i was eating more carbs i often felt sluggish and was guaranteed stomach cramps. Plus high-fat foods are delicious
Dead: 200 kg (180 kg)

Start training BJJ/Judo and compete, do a meet, eat more steak !

Take a more positive outlook on life.

"Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way."

- Christopher Hitchens

Last edited by OHDL; 06-19-2013 at 12:48 PM.
OHDL is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-19-2013, 01:19 PM   #5
Soldier
Soldier
gets crabby on low carb days.
Max Brawn
Points: 11,797, Level: 71 Points: 11,797, Level: 71 Points: 11,797, Level: 71
Activity: 42% Activity: 42% Activity: 42%

Training Exp: On and off for 15 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Doubtful
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

I've noticed a marked difference in my aggression on a higher fat diet. Every time I've tried low carb dieting I've noticed this difference. I get an alpha male feeling and I'm very confident, actually moreso than I've felt while on.
Deadlift- 515
Total- 1325
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-19-2013, 01:26 PM   #6
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,354,670, Level: 100 Points: 1,354,670, Level: 100 Points: 1,354,670, Level: 100
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I sleep better and feel less bloated on high fat. I also tend to binge less.

I am older though, and eat far less than I used to. Age for me plays a big role in this. When you are young you tend to feel great no matter what you eat, as long as it's mostly health.

These days even one Poptart gives me a food hangover.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-19-2013, 04:47 PM   #7
kitarpyar
kitarpyar
is a rank novice now
Noob lifter
Max Brawn
Points: 17,584, Level: 84 Points: 17,584, Level: 84 Points: 17,584, Level: 84
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

Training Type: Fullbody
My Mood: Aggressive
kitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master member

I have been told that high fat diet result in a slight testosterone level boost. If this is true, it certainly shouldnt hurt the bulk, as long as your energy levels from the low carbs are sufficient to keep lifting heavier (I assumed carbs in your diet are low).

I don't know for sure how far the first statement is correct though. Would be nice if anyone who has a solid grasp on this would care to weigh in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
These days even one Poptart gives me a food hangover.
I have been feasting on cheesecake and Jambalayas on my travels while drinking beer in a rather aptly named "Church Brew works", which is in fact a brewery inside a building that used to be a huge church once upon a time. Happy days

Last edited by kitarpyar; 06-19-2013 at 04:50 PM.
kitarpyar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-27-2013, 07:32 PM   #8
bgben3
bgben3
has no status.
New Brawn
Points: 2,245, Level: 28 Points: 2,245, Level: 28 Points: 2,245, Level: 28
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

bgben3 has made some very good postsbgben3 has made some very good postsbgben3 has made some very good postsbgben3 has made some very good postsbgben3 has made some very good postsbgben3 has made some very good postsbgben3 has made some very good postsbgben3 has made some very good postsbgben3 has made some very good postsbgben3 has made some very good postsbgben3 has made some very good posts

I know a lot of people that have had some great success with high fat and low carbs diet. Keeping it on the healthier side with nuts, oils, peanut butter, red meat, etc. I for one do not like this diet. I like my carbs, they are more filling.
NGA Natural Pro Body Builder
bgben3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-27-2013, 08:31 PM   #9
JBrown
JBrown
knows who he is and does not sweat hypocrisy - 180 lbs 40 years old...1200 or die!!!!
Brawn
Points: 1,335, Level: 20 Points: 1,335, Level: 20 Points: 1,335, Level: 20
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: Dos anos mas o menos
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: Visualization/Focus
My Mood: Relaxed
JBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
I've noticed a marked difference in my aggression on a higher fat diet. Every time I've tried low carb dieting I've noticed this difference. I get an alpha male feeling and I'm very confident, actually moreso than I've felt while on.

At 38 I'm pole vaulting out of bed but I have no data to prove it's due to the highly fat concentrated diet Maybe I'm just a genetic freak
JBrown is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-30-2013, 09:27 PM   #10
hercules455
hercules455
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 451, Level: 9 Points: 451, Level: 9 Points: 451, Level: 9
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 14
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: DEADLIFT!
Fav Supp: AAEFX KOTIC
My Mood: Amazed
hercules455 is a consistent contributorhercules455 is a consistent contributorhercules455 is a consistent contributorhercules455 is a consistent contributorhercules455 is a consistent contributorhercules455 is a consistent contributorhercules455 is a consistent contributorhercules455 is a consistent contributorhercules455 is a consistent contributorhercules455 is a consistent contributorhercules455 is a consistent contributor

I've talked to lots of people that do this with success! If you like it and it's working for you then keep it up!
hercules455 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook