Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 06-23-2013, 12:46 PM   #11
LindenGarcia18
LindenGarcia18
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 7,514, Level: 57 Points: 7,514, Level: 57 Points: 7,514, Level: 57
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
My Mood: Happy
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

Quote:
What I see from following your journal (when you actually post your workouts)
I havn't been logging them becasue they we're too complicated and mixed up to do so.

Quote:
is that you are always trying to find that weight that allows the perfect amount of reps and sets. That is NOT the way to do it when you first start. You are just constantly bumping your head against the ceiling with no room to move up, eventually you will fall.
Yeah, I see what you mean there.

Quote:
When I say to start light, I mean ridiculously light. I mean it has to be so light that you will have absolutely no problems adding 2.5 to 5 lbs every week for a month and a half. That might mean goblet squatting with pink dumbbells, but it HAS TO BE DONE. It is the only way to teach yourself how to lift and make progression without hitting the ceiling.

You need to grasp this simple concept of ramping up to be successful
Yes I remember you saying this before. Although I took on board what you said, I guess I didn't really drop the weight as low as I shouldve, simply becasue I was worried.

I was worried because dropping the weight down really low, although been the correct way to progress for somone just starting out, it kind of goes against everything Iv'e been told.

For example, you all say its very important I'm getting stronger, because if not, eating allot of food is a sure way to get fat if its not going to make your muscles bigger and stronger, which it surly wont be happening if I'm lifting the rediculopusly small weights your sugesting.

Also, If I go really, really light, then its likely going to be months and months until I'm actually building any strength and muscle at all.

I totally understand what your saying, but I fear the conciquences, even if this is the way to go.
LindenGarcia18 is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2013, 12:56 PM   #12
leefarley
leefarley
lifts weights in his shed
Max Brawn
Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: protein powder
My Mood: Lurking
leefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master member

stress effects my lifts, my head has to be in the game. Lack of food and sleep can effect my strength and just every day life has its impact on the outcome of a workout, but I do think you need a basic way of progression.

the one set of 12-15reps then add weight, like off road suggested.

Or use the rep goal system, you can convert your 5x5 in to a rep goal.

Share with Facebook
Old 06-23-2013, 12:58 PM   #13
OHDL
OHDL
Wants more milk!
Max Brawn
Points: 4,173, Level: 41 Points: 4,173, Level: 41 Points: 4,173, Level: 41
Activity: 29% Activity: 29% Activity: 29%

Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Milk
My Mood: Tired
OHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beast

Eat more

- Christopher Hitchens
OHDL is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-23-2013, 01:34 PM   #14
Off Road
Off Road
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindenGarcia18 View Post
I was worried because dropping the weight down really low, although been the correct way to progress for somone just starting out, it kind of goes against everything Iv'e been told.
I realize that, I haven't made many friends with my way of thinking, everybody wants to be "hardcore" and lift as heavy as possible every time. Fine and dandy if you've built some strength and work capacity. But just starting out, you need to train the body to work, eat, and recover and starting low is the best way to do it. I've seen it many, many times, new lifters stalling out in a few weeks because they want to lift as heavy as they can. It's a process that you have to learn.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-23-2013, 01:55 PM   #15
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,482,261, Level: 100 Points: 1,482,261, Level: 100 Points: 1,482,261, Level: 100
Activity: 44% Activity: 44% Activity: 44%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:

I totally understand what your saying, but I fear the conciquences, even if this is the way to go.
You need to get over that and trust the guys who have results. Fear leads to failure. You have to trust in your ability to adapt when things don't go as planned.

Stop with the "getting fat" concept. We've discussed this way too many times and you're not thinking rationally. You are NOT going to get fat eating clean foods. End of story.

If you want my help, and the help of others, you're going to have to trust us at some point and stop bringing up the same issues.

No one gets fat eating 3k calories of clean food per day, especially not a teen who has not finished puberty.

Get strong. You are locking yourself down with fears.

Linden, listen to me. I've said this a dozen times the last 2 weeks. Results are about adaptations. Things will never go right, but we will adapt and make them go right. Either you believe you can control this, or you believe in your made up fears.

You have to make a choice.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-23-2013, 03:15 PM   #16
BigJosh
BigJosh
"the Grinder"
Max Brawn
Points: 10,980, Level: 69 Points: 10,980, Level: 69 Points: 10,980, Level: 69
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Monster Memory Champion! Solitaire Golf SLingo Champion! Wheel Of Fortune Champion! Portal Champion! SpongeBob's Pizza Toss Champion! Bumper Cards Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! NBA Spirit Champion! Torino 2006 Curling Champion! Ultimate Football Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
My Mood: Cool
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

Quote:
Well I'm not having a pre workout meal, so maybe thats something to do with it.

Thanks for commenting Josh.
What I said has little to do with pre workout nutrition. It was pertaining to nutrition as a whole. You probably aren't eating enough on a daily basis. What u are describing is a symptom of this.
As far as pre workout nutrition, I lift first thing in the morning, having only coffee, whey isolate and water. Pre workout nutrition can be over rated IMHO.

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-23-2013, 03:25 PM   #17
LindenGarcia18
LindenGarcia18
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 7,514, Level: 57 Points: 7,514, Level: 57 Points: 7,514, Level: 57
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
My Mood: Happy
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

Quote:
You need to get over that and trust the guys who have results. Fear leads to failure. You have to trust in your ability to adapt when things don't go as planned.

Stop with the "getting fat" concept. We've discussed this way too many times and you're not thinking rationally. You are NOT going to get fat eating clean foods. End of story.
I know this. My question related to what you'd told me. That if I wasn;t getting stronger, then eating on a surplus would quickly result in fat gain.

I put 2 and 2 together that lifting really light weights, wasn't going to get me stronger until I'd progressed onto the weights that were heavier, and so that pound I was gaining would store as fat if it wasn't building muscle.

I realize that isn't the case now, but that's not the point.

The point is that I do trust you. I know that by doing this I wont get fat, you proved it to me.

Just because I asked that question doesn't mean I disregarded everything you said. Far from it. Iv'e learned allot in the past week or so from you.

I wouldn't be here, on a bulking diet you suggested, if I didn't believe you would I.

Quote:
If you want my help, and the help of others, you're going to have to trust us at some point and stop bringing up the same issues.
The issue is lessening and I'm learning.

As I said, my plan is based entirely on what you told me to do. If I didn't trust you I wouldn't be doing it.

Quote:
No one gets fat eating 3k calories of clean food per day, especially not a teen who has not finished puberty.
I know, and thats why I'm currently doing what you said.

Quote:
Get strong. You are locking yourself down with fears.
That lock is weakening I assure you.

Quote:
Linden, listen to me. I've said this a dozen times the last 2 weeks. Results are about adaptations.
I already understand that. Think about the question I asked for a second.

Quote:
Things will never go right, but we will adapt and make them go right. Either you believe you can control this, or you believe in your made up fears.

You have to make a choice.
I believe you. Isn't it clear?

I'm following your advice, that shows you I believe in what your saying, I'm not stupid.

My choice is obvious. I think this whole thing has been blown out of proportion.

I know I wont get fat, even if the fear is still present.
LindenGarcia18 is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-24-2013, 08:39 AM   #18
Shorts
Shorts
is chasing Elite!
Hulk Smash!
Max Brawn
Points: 3,793, Level: 38 Points: 3,793, Level: 38 Points: 3,793, Level: 38
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: FOOD, nom nom
My Mood: Inspired
Shorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machine

Hi Linden,

Steve is making some very good points here. You are very new to putting this kind of stress on your body in the first place, starting really light like everyone suggests isn't going to cause you to get fat. Your body needs to take some time to adapt to the training, and even throughout that period while lifting light your muscles are going to respond in a positive way.

Lower the weights and start increasing as your hit your goals, most people train that way no matter what level they are at. I say most because there are some that can train all out every session. Maybe this will be you, but you need to let yourself get there first.

Good luck with it!

Class I Total @ 198: 525/335/600 (1460)

"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training.... What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable."
-Socrates
Shorts is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 08-22-2013, 12:53 PM   #19
ruelisla
ruelisla
has no status.
How to be big and strong
New Brawn
Points: 249, Level: 4 Points: 249, Level: 4 Points: 249, Level: 4
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 15 years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: deadlift
ruelisla has made some good postsruelisla has made some good postsruelisla has made some good postsruelisla has made some good postsruelisla has made some good postsruelisla has made some good postsruelisla has made some good postsruelisla has made some good postsruelisla has made some good postsruelisla has made some good posts

It happens to everyone, dont be frustrated when your lifts goes down.

Its just like in stock market it goes up and when you tough it will still peak, but boom suddenly it goes down and it feels like horror for a lot of us..

Your training is just like up and down. It would be scary if you lifts goes up and never goes down. thats abnormal.

But if you feel that your lifts still goes down, maybe theres a problem with your program. try to cut some workout to increase again on your lifts.

Check the free report by clicking here ===>http://tinyurl.com/mavyeh9

Free Muscle Building Video Reveals “Hardgainers Nutrition & Training Guide To Get Big & Lean In Less Time”

Check the video by clicking here ===> http://tinyurl.com/kromgsv
ruelisla is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook