Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 02-18-2014, 11:33 PM   #1
Davis
Davis
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 4,207, Level: 41 Points: 4,207, Level: 41 Points: 4,207, Level: 41
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 1 day
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: More deadlifts
Davis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beast
Default Deadlift Training and Grip

For those of you who pull a lot, is there really any problem with pulling with a mixed grip all the time? Right now, and almost always have, I pull double overhand until my heaviest sets. I did this because I was told I'd build better grip strength.

My idea now: Pulling with a mixed grip will help more in the long run. Obviously, the lift changes a bit when you change your grip. Would it not be better to always pull with that "competition" grip? Thoughts and opinions?
Davis is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2014, 11:41 PM   #2
big_swede
big_swede
Strongman
Max Brawn
Points: 33,786, Level: 100 Points: 33,786, Level: 100 Points: 33,786, Level: 100
Activity: 39% Activity: 39% Activity: 39%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
My Mood: Yeehaw
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis View Post
For those of you who pull a lot, is there really any problem with pulling with a mixed grip all the time? Right now, and almost always have, I pull double overhand until my heaviest sets. I did this because I was told I'd build better grip strength.

My idea now: Pulling with a mixed grip will help more in the long run. Obviously, the lift changes a bit when you change your grip. Would it not be better to always pull with that "competition" grip? Thoughts and opinions?
I had a conversation with a friend of mine who is a massage therapist, recently. He has been working with a bunch of powerlifters (national or world level) the lasts years and he told me he could feel a difference, an unbalance, in the back muscles of the ones who trained with a mixed grip and those who did not.

Wheather or not this had any impact on their injuryfrequense, their lifts, or anything else for that matter is untold.

Myself I pull using straps on most off my heavy sets. I save my calouses for the strongman training, and also I think I can setup best using a double oh grip (straps) or hook.

4 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 02-18-2014, 11:46 PM   #3
skids
skids
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 4,426, Level: 42 Points: 4,426, Level: 42 Points: 4,426, Level: 42
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Meat, Milk,
My Mood: Sleepy
skids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beast

Beats me I pull DOH all the time, no real issue. Me pulls are pretty weak though
skids is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 02-19-2014, 05:48 AM   #4
fenrisulfr
fenrisulfr
Tired of lifting these baby weights.
Peanut Butter Member
Max Brawn
Points: 10,369, Level: 67 Points: 10,369, Level: 67 Points: 10,369, Level: 67
Activity: 46% Activity: 46% Activity: 46%

Training Exp: 3.5
Fav Supp: Chicken breast
My Mood: Tired
fenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite member

Leading up to a competition you should practice what you'll use. But for training to get stronger double overhand is the way. Invest in some versa grips for when doh grip fails so you can keep pulling doh, that or use straps.
fenrisulfr is online now   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 02-19-2014, 08:27 AM   #5
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Checkers Champion! Mario Kart Extreme! Champion! NG Holdem Champion! Javelin Champion! Mouse Batting Champion! Keno Champion!
Training Type: Other
My Mood: Cynical
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_swede View Post
I had a conversation with a friend of mine who is a massage therapist, recently. He has been working with a bunch of powerlifters (national or world level) the lasts years and he told me he could feel a difference, an unbalance, in the back muscles of the ones who trained with a mixed grip and those who did not.

Wheather or not this had any impact on their injuryfrequense, their lifts, or anything else for that matter is untold.

Myself I pull using straps on most off my heavy sets. I save my calouses for the strongman training, and also I think I can setup best using a double oh grip (straps) or hook.
The massage therapist's view on the unbalance was echoed by a strongman competitor that pulled overhand/underhand always with the exact same hands; he mentioned that his pelvis (I believe it was) was slightly out of alignment as a result of pulling underhand on the one side continually.

When a person uses a mixed grip, they need to swap the hands to balance out the torque the body goes through, which may go some way or a long way to maintaining balance.

If you look at some vids of people that pull with a mixed grip, you'll notice a tendency to rotate slightly in the upper body; in fact nobody can do a mixed grip without this occurring, due to the mechanics of the mixed grip.

5 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 02-19-2014, 08:33 AM   #6
BobbyMac
BobbyMac
must break you
Brawn
Points: 1,335, Level: 20 Points: 1,335, Level: 20 Points: 1,335, Level: 20
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: about 3y (total combined)
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench
Fav Supp: goat milk
BobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
When a person uses a mixed grip, they need to swap the hands to balance out the torque the body goes through, which may go some way or a long way to maintaining balance.
Exactly what I was gonna say. Although I'm also far from being in the beast club when it comes to DLs, I felt a little unbalanced doing it with one mixed grip the whole time. I switched up and at first it was weird and I was a bit weaker the opposite way but now it feels the same both ways. Glad I did it.

My training log: Twice a Week, Twice the Recovery!
BJJ in Moldova: Pride Moldova BJJ
Short documentary on BJJ in Moldova: Undocumented Territory
Facebook link
BobbyMac is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 02-19-2014, 01:47 PM   #7
Cutty
Cutty
beastmode
Max Brawn
Points: 5,551, Level: 48 Points: 5,551, Level: 48 Points: 5,551, Level: 48

Training Exp: 3.5 years
Fav Supp: Amino Acids
My Mood: Inspired
Cutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master member

I'm not an elite deadlifter but I've learned a bit with it.. I test my grip strength throughout my training so I know I can pull without straps but I use straps with double overhand 100% of the time on heavy sets unless I'm testing.

I think there is going to be some imbalances eventually but then again that's just the name of the game. I also trained sumo deadlifting for 5 months prior to my last meet and for my 3rd attempt I switched to conventional and it felt like speed work.

I'm learning to just trust my body and listen to it. I don't know if switching up your mix grip which hand is supinated over time helps, or if you get a bad imbalance if you use only one kind of grip.

As for training, if it's working, ride it. Honestly I don't feel that bodybuilding or powerlifting is necessarily "healthy" in regards to the stress we put on the body and what we sacrifice to get there.

Link to log

Max Gym Lifts: 495/300/605
Last Meet Lifts: 435/303/512

Passion without discipline is just a dream. - Steve Shaw

Sometimes you make your own pull by pushing forward. - Steve Shaw
Cutty is online now   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 02-19-2014, 02:05 PM   #8
linedriver465
linedriver465
Work, Eat, Train, Sleep, Rinse, Repeat
Max Brawn
Points: 5,757, Level: 49 Points: 5,757, Level: 49 Points: 5,757, Level: 49
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 3.5 years
Training Type: Volume
Fav Supp: Caffeine
My Mood: Inspired
linedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beast

On my top sets, I've switched from mixed grip (I favor under/over) to double overhand & straps. I seem to get MUCH better posterior chain engagement and my hips are less incline to twist as 5kg said. Additionally, the knot in my right shoulder (right hander here) has bothered me less and less during day-to-day activities.

Just my $0.02

"Like" my Facebook author page for future article updates

Follow my lifting log!

"Life is too short to dick around" - Steve Shaw
linedriver465 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 02-19-2014, 04:06 PM   #9
Davis
Davis
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 4,207, Level: 41 Points: 4,207, Level: 41 Points: 4,207, Level: 41

Training Exp: 1 day
Fav Supp: More deadlifts
Davis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beast

Thanks for the replies. My right hand is always the "under" hand. My left trap seems to be bigger, but that's it as far as I know. Based on advice here, always using a mixed grip(especially with the same set up) is less optimal in the long run in terms of being balanced. I wouldn't mind hearing more opinions on the subject really. I'd like to jump on board with what's already given, but I can't just yet.
Davis is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 02-19-2014, 04:41 PM   #10
Renton
Renton
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 986, Level: 16 Points: 986, Level: 16 Points: 986, Level: 16

Training Exp: 3 years+
Fav Exercise: front squat
Fav Supp: whey protein
Renton has made some good postsRenton has made some good postsRenton has made some good postsRenton has made some good postsRenton has made some good postsRenton has made some good postsRenton has made some good postsRenton has made some good posts

I've been reading up on this a lot lately and it seems like quite a few people get torn biceps from lifting with mixed grip when the weight gets really heavy. Seems like hook grip is the way to go.
Renton is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook