Max Brawn
Points: 26,346, Level: 96 Points: 26,346, Level: 96 Points: 26,346, Level: 96
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 20 Years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat & Deadlift
Fav Supp: Collagen
My Mood: Happy
Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!

Indeed, going for a max attempt usually requires more thought put into the ramp up. 40 lbs is also quite ambitious - doable of course but aggressive for us mortals. However, props for giving it a go. The ambition can often be a good thing, especially at a meet.

I think pull ups are a good lift to do on deadlift day to decompress the spine. I read it here somewhere and my chiro also told me that.

On your box squats, are you doing actual box squats or using the box/bench as a depth guide?

Congratz on the PR's DZ. They're awesome. I am with you, doing well thought out rep work will definitely make you stronger. Those darn maxes are hard to resist tho! I used to turn almost every session into a heavy one because of that. Not a good thing for me.
Bench: 275 lbs
Deadlift: 501 lbs
Total: 1251 lbs

Gym PR's:
Squat: 495 lbs
Bench: 295 lbs
Deadlift: 510 lbs
Total: 1300 Lbs
Age 50
Squatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2013, 11:37 AM   #32
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,471,435, Level: 100 Points: 1,471,435, Level: 100 Points: 1,471,435, Level: 100
Activity: 41% Activity: 41% Activity: 41%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Big PRs. Well done.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-20-2013, 11:44 AM   #33
dzarello
dzarello
5/3/1
Italian Proud
Max Brawn
Points: 6,104, Level: 50 Points: 6,104, Level: 50 Points: 6,104, Level: 50
Activity: 81% Activity: 81% Activity: 81%

Training Exp: 2 years
Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Exercise: Squats/Deads
Fav Supp: Food
dzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
Very nice session. Strong pulls and those box squats were very strong. I like the "out loud" thinking and I agree, keep it simple. To paraphrase some great lifters; You want a bigger deadlift, then deadlift bigger
The "out loud" thinking kind of helps put it all into perspective. After typing that all out, I realized could be overdoing it somewhat. I just need to put more thought into. Thanks for stopping in. ^Great words to live by!^
Quote:
Originally Posted by KD5NFW View Post
Haha! We all have that problem DZ, dishing out advice but not heeding it ourselves

Strong pulling! You will be repping 4pps soon
I just need to keep my mouth shut and open my eyes/ears. Listen to what the more experienced lifters have to say.

Inching my way to 4pps!

Thanks Rich!

I just want a place where I can be left alone to get strong and work off some aggression.
-Dave Tate-

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.
-Eleanor Roosevelt-

dzarello is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-20-2013, 11:55 AM   #34
dzarello
dzarello
5/3/1
Italian Proud
Max Brawn

dzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squatter View Post
Indeed, going for a max attempt usually requires more thought put into the ramp up. 40 lbs is also quite ambitious - doable of course but aggressive for us mortals. However, props for giving it a go. The ambition can often be a good thing, especially at a meet.

I think pull ups are a good lift to do on deadlift day to decompress the spine. I read it here somewhere and my chiro also told me that.

On your box squats, are you doing actual box squats or using the box/bench as a depth guide?

Congratz on the PR's DZ. They're awesome. I am with you, doing well thought out rep work will definitely make you stronger. Those darn maxes are hard to resist tho! I used to turn almost every session into a heavy one because of that. Not a good thing for me.
Not a whole lot of thought into that max attempt. "395x2 went real good, f**k it, lets get 465!" <--That was the thought going through my head. No plan what so ever. Thanks for the high five for at least attempting it.

I do do (ha, dodo) pull ups/chins during DL, I just dont log it. I agree, it does help. I also will do some ab work between DL and the Squats.

I call 'em bench squats, b/c they are as close to a box squat as I will get. Sitting on my bench puts me right at parallel so it works for me.

This next week is going to be my off week, so it will give me time to "try" and dial in my training a little more. Maybe subtracting a few things or just making small changes could be the difference I need to really explode. Just going to do some resistance/bw training to keep the blood flowing. No need to be lazy during the off week. So we will see what happens. Jim, I might be asking for advice some time in the near future, so watch out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Big PRs. Well done.
Thanks Big Man! Appreciate it.

I just want a place where I can be left alone to get strong and work off some aggression.
-Dave Tate-

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.
-Eleanor Roosevelt-

Share with Facebook
Old 06-20-2013, 12:30 PM   #35
markievicz
markievicz
is a Squataholic
Max Brawn
Points: 12,728, Level: 73 Points: 12,728, Level: 73 Points: 12,728, Level: 73
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 2.5yrs
Fav Exercise: OHP
markievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master member

Nice pulls Dz, and nice rep PRs in the bag.
No harm focusing on the rep PRs next cycle, keep adding those and of course the 1RM will grow too

Twitter: @markievicz5
YouTube: Markievicz5
markievicz is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-20-2013, 05:34 PM   #36
Jen_Zarello
Jen_Zarello
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 508, Level: 10 Points: 508, Level: 10 Points: 508, Level: 10
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 1 Year
Fav Exercise: Bench
My Mood: Relaxed
Jen_Zarello is a consistent contributorJen_Zarello is a consistent contributorJen_Zarello is a consistent contributorJen_Zarello is a consistent contributorJen_Zarello is a consistent contributorJen_Zarello is a consistent contributorJen_Zarello is a consistent contributorJen_Zarello is a consistent contributorJen_Zarello is a consistent contributorJen_Zarello is a consistent contributorJen_Zarello is a consistent contributor

Amazing job with the PRs!!! Keep up the good work! <--I know you will

Share with Facebook
Old 06-21-2013, 11:38 AM   #37
dzarello
dzarello
5/3/1
Italian Proud
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by markievicz View Post
Nice pulls Dz, and nice rep PRs in the bag.
No harm focusing on the rep PRs next cycle, keep adding those and of course the 1RM will grow too
Great advice! Appreciate the support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen_Zarello View Post
Amazing job with the PRs!!! Keep up the good work! <--I know you will
I see more PRs in both our futures. Just gotta get you back in the garage gym!

-Dave Tate-

-Eleanor Roosevelt-

Share with Facebook
Old 06-21-2013, 06:30 PM   #38
storm1507
storm1507
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 5,137, Level: 45 Points: 5,137, Level: 45 Points: 5,137, Level: 45
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Con-Cret :D
storm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machine

Great work.

Yeah, that was a big jump. When you get close to those 1RM even 5# is a big jump.
storm1507 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-22-2013, 03:13 PM   #39
dzarello
dzarello
5/3/1
Italian Proud
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm1507 View Post
Great work.

Yeah, that was a big jump. When you get close to those 1RM even 5# is a big jump.
Thanks Storm. I agree, 5lbs doesnt sound like much but it can be.

-Dave Tate-

-Eleanor Roosevelt-

Share with Facebook
Old 06-22-2013, 03:17 PM   #40
dzarello
dzarello
5/3/1
Italian Proud
Max Brawn

6/22/2013

3/5/1 Cycle 12 Wave 3 Powerlifting

Bench w/u
45x10
65x5
95x5
125x5
155x3

Working
185x5
215x3
235x1

Singles and Extras
255x1
260x1
205x3
205x1, 1, 1

Incline
155x5
135x5
115x5

DB Row
125x5x5

Chins
BWx5, 5, 5, 7, 5, 3

Dips
BWx10x3

Chest and Tris Finisher
Push-ups
BWx20, 15, 10

DONE

Totally exhausted after that one. Super hot/humid outside in the garage gym. Might do my Squats session tonight or might wait till tomorrow. Very happy with todays session. Felt strong. This might have to be simplified. I'll get it figured out before next Cycle. Time for food and a nap!

-Dave Tate-

-Eleanor Roosevelt-

Share with Facebook