afraziaaaa
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 2,796, Level: 32 Points: 2,796, Level: 32 Points: 2,796, Level: 32
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Whey Protein
afraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machine
Default Training 6/24

Heavy Bench Day

Today I began incorporating paused work into my routine. It is much harder than touch and go work. Some of the reps may not look too paused, but I am making progress and learning a "new" neural pathway here! I was still able to get 90% of my personal best, but it was absolutely all I had after all the paused reps. I will certainly be keeping these in my routine. Also, I am uncertain whether it is best to stay tight at the bottom and hold the weight to my sternum, or if it is better to let the weight sink into my sternum? Can anyone offer some advice/feeback on that?

Paused Bench - 315x2x3, 345x3, 375x1, 385x1

Floor Press - 225x12, 250x10, 275x7

Was going for 8 on this set, but as you can see 7 was the limit. I even had to lift my ass up and catch a calf cramp to complete the last rep.

Best bench workout I have had in weeks.
afraziaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2013, 09:26 PM   #22
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,455,182, Level: 100 Points: 1,455,182, Level: 100 Points: 1,455,182, Level: 100
Activity: 73% Activity: 73% Activity: 73%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Squats look real strong.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-24-2013, 09:37 PM   #23
dzarello
dzarello
is a 5/3/1 powerlifter in training.
Italian Proud
Max Brawn
Points: 5,835, Level: 49 Points: 5,835, Level: 49 Points: 5,835, Level: 49
Activity: 60% Activity: 60% Activity: 60%

Training Exp: 2 years
Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Exercise: Squats/Deads
Fav Supp: Food
dzarello is a lifting beastdzarello is a lifting beastdzarello is a lifting beastdzarello is a lifting beastdzarello is a lifting beastdzarello is a lifting beastdzarello is a lifting beastdzarello is a lifting beastdzarello is a lifting beastdzarello is a lifting beastdzarello is a lifting beast

Real strong benching. Unsure about the sternum question. BtB or Squatter might know the answer. Great job all around.

I just want a place where I can be left alone to get strong and work off some aggression.
-Dave Tate-

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.
-Eleanor Roosevelt-

dzarello is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-25-2013, 02:12 AM   #24
afraziaaaa
afraziaaaa
has no status.
Max Brawn

afraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Squats look real strong.
Glad you think so. They felt good towards the end, but I took an extra long warm up that day.

Share with Facebook
Old 06-25-2013, 02:14 AM   #25
afraziaaaa
afraziaaaa
has no status.
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzarello View Post
Real strong benching. Unsure about the sternum question. BtB or Squatter might know the answer. Great job all around.
Thanks man. I was trying the "hold" technique today. Next time I will try letting it sink and see how I like it. I imagine it might be too hard on my shoulders though, to allow everything to relax and re-tighten explosively. We shall see.

Share with Facebook
Old 06-25-2013, 04:35 AM   #26
LtL
LtL
is loving life.
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,000, Level: 100 Points: 36,000, Level: 100 Points: 36,000, Level: 100
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

Training Exp: 5 years
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
My Mood: Cheerful
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Wrt your question on holding or sinking, try both and see what works. In my shirt I hold and stay tight trying to barely graze my sternum. When raw I'm stronger using the sink and throw technique
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-25-2013, 04:10 PM   #27
afraziaaaa
afraziaaaa
has no status.
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtL View Post
Wrt your question on holding or sinking, try both and see what works. In my shirt I hold and stay tight trying to barely graze my sternum. When raw I'm stronger using the sink and throw technique
Thanks for that. I am just starting in powerlifting (less than 1yr) so I only lift raw at the moment. I will definitely try the "sink and throw" next time. Do you sink after or before the press command?

Share with Facebook
Old 06-26-2013, 09:32 PM   #28
afraziaaaa
afraziaaaa
has no status.
Max Brawn

Default Training 6/26

Max DL and Speed Squats:

BW was 275. New DL PR today. It has been decided that I will only DL once per week during max effort weeks, but will still do two days of speed work during speed DL weeks. My ME for squat and DL is done on alternating weeks. I feel good about that. Also, I have no video for today as I only do video when I am at home for the moment, but I will try to take gym video on days where we have 3 or more in the group.

Speed Squats:
225x3x2, 275x3x2, 315x2x2

DL:
135x3, 225x1, 315x1, 405x1, 455x1, 500x1, 550x1 PR

After the PR pull, my training partner said to me "I thought you were going to hitch the lockout because you were leaned so far back once you passed your knees." I did not hitch, but my glutes were on fire after the pull. I was glad to hear him say that. It tells me that I am doing it correctly under maximal loads. I was doubting myself after my off day two weeks ago.

Vertical leg press - 225x15, 425x12, 525x10
Seating hamstring curl - 285x2x15
Hip abduction - 100x20, 200x12

I plan on doing a short grip session later tonight, will post then.

When I started training my deadlift seriously back in April, my absolute max was 455. But my technique sucked, and I was using a 28.5mm bar with no chalk. Being new at it is awesome because I have so much room to improve before I plateau (hopefully). 600 is right around the corner!

Share with Facebook
Old 06-27-2013, 05:10 PM   #29
afraziaaaa
afraziaaaa
has no status.
Max Brawn

Default Training 6/27

Ended up opting for a nap instead of a grip session last night. No regrets! I will fit it in tomorrow though.

Today was bench accessory day.

Flat DB bench press - 115sx6x6
Seated overhead DB press - 90sx6x6
Incline triceps kickback/press extension hooyah - 50sx10, 45sx3x10
Pendlay rows w/thick bar (not a 2" bar, but probably 32mm or so?) - 315x6x3
Vogelphol rows - 160x4x15

Share with Facebook
Old 06-27-2013, 07:52 PM   #30
dzarello
dzarello
is a 5/3/1 powerlifter in training.
Italian Proud
Max Brawn
Points: 5,835, Level: 49 Points: 5,835, Level: 49 Points: 5,835, Level: 49
Activity: 60% Activity: 60% Activity: 60%

Training Exp: 2 years
Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Exercise: Squats/Deads
Fav Supp: Food
dzarello is a lifting beastdzarello is a lifting beastdzarello is a lifting beastdzarello is a lifting beastdzarello is a lifting beastdzarello is a lifting beastdzarello is a lifting beastdzarello is a lifting beastdzarello is a lifting beastdzarello is a lifting beastdzarello is a lifting beast

Congrats on the DL PR!!! 550 is freaking awesome.

I just want a place where I can be left alone to get strong and work off some aggression.
-Dave Tate-

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.
-Eleanor Roosevelt-

dzarello is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook