Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 06-08-2013, 12:27 PM   #11
Fenrir
Fenrir
wants to get deadlifts up to 500 before the end of the year
Points: 654, Level: 13 Points: 654, Level: 13 Points: 654, Level: 13
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 1
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: MuscleWorks Superior Whey
My Mood: Bored
Fenrir is off to a good startFenrir is off to a good startFenrir is off to a good start

Not a fan of soy at all...but for me it's just the taste
Fenrir is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2013, 01:08 PM   #12
LindenGarcia18
LindenGarcia18
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 7,647, Level: 58 Points: 7,647, Level: 58 Points: 7,647, Level: 58
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
My Mood: Happy
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondsOut View Post
soy protein is found in soy beans, though, not all beans. not all proteins absorb at the same rate:

Protein Digestibility Corrected Amino Acid Score - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

for example, that chart shows that we absorb 100% of soy protein but only 75% of the protein in black beans and 52% of the protein in peanuts. changes the way you read food labels.
that's just the chart on Wikipedia. you can find many other similar charts with different percentages, but the absorption rate from highest to lowest seems to be roughly constant.
Interesting.

Thanks for posting that
LindenGarcia18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-08-2013, 01:52 PM   #13
SecondsOut
SecondsOut
posted a post in this thread. He did posting to you.
Max Brawn
Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

Fav Supp: Oxidane
My Mood: Lurking
SecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleurplaay View Post
recommended protein intake
to whose recommendation are you referring? lots of people give lots of different recommendations for protein intake. not all recommendations from all people are based on research. also, i don't trust every person's recommendation; i'm careful about who i listen to.

Quote:
almost exclusively based on studies where protein intake is measured as amount of protein in food eaten.
hence the legitimacy of taking digestability into account. if a person gives a recommended protein intake without considering how much of that protein is absorbed then no one -- not even the person giving the recommendation -- can even be sure how much protein you actually need or how much you use. if i consume 100 grams but only absorb 50 grams and someone recommends i consume 100 grams, then what does that even mean? it's a vague recommendation at best and nonsense at worst.

Quote:
There is no need to consider the digestability of your food as long as your sensible about your diet and eat somewhat varied. KISS, keep it short & simple.
yeah but different people have different definitions of "sensible." you might get enough protein eating "sensibly," but a vegan who doesn't eat much soy but still consumes a lot of protein might not actually benefit from very much of that protein.
how is looking at a digestability chart not keeping it simple lol? i think it's simple and helpful to make sure i get mostly high absorbing sources of protein. i don't look at it every day. i just know in the back of my head which sources are better for me than others. not much simpler than that.

Last edited by SecondsOut; 06-08-2013 at 01:55 PM.
SecondsOut is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-08-2013, 02:13 PM   #14
Kleurplaay
Kleurplaay
is growing stronger!
Uber Brawn
Points: 2,310, Level: 29 Points: 2,310, Level: 29 Points: 2,310, Level: 29
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: dat dere eggs
My Mood: Cheeky
Kleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
hence the legitimacy of taking digestability into account. if a person gives a recommended protein intake without considering how much of that protein is absorbed then no one -- not even the person giving the recommendation -- can even be sure how much protein you actually need or how much you use. if i consume 100 grams but only absorb 50 grams and someone recommends i consume 100 grams, then what does that even mean? it's a vague recommendation at best and nonsense at worst.
Obviously I don't think you should listen to people who just make up recommendations, but there have been studies that have looked into the effects of protein on athletic performance and recovery, these studies found a connection between certain amounts of protein eaten and improved performance/recovery. What I mean to say is that these studies (the best studies we have on how much protein is required) only measured protein eaten and did not take into account absorbability or protein quality, yet they found that a certain point more protein is no longer better.

That being said, 90% of reports on this subject have actually reported protein recommendations far lower than what most people consume, which makes sense: why risk eating too little protein if you can just eat some extra to make sure you've eaten enough? This is why I do not think accounting for absorbability and protein quality is really needed, most people consume plenty even after taking into account the 'loss' (if you will call it that) of protein due to low PDCAA scores.

I 100% agree with you that 'sensible' is very subjective term, but I'd argue that for people who cannot eat 'sensibly' it'd be far more beneficial to learn a bit more about other aspects of nutrition than protein absorbability and quality. (edit: After reading my own post I thought I'd clarify that by 'sensibly' I do not in any way want to allocate judgement to the way people eat. All I mean by 'sensible' in this context is 'in a way beneficial to the goals that that person is trying to reach' which for us would be lifting weights.)

To sum it up: I don't think absorbability is something the majority of people should worry about since I don't think it is important for them. Obviously you all know yourselves better than I do and can assess for yourself if it is something you wish to consider when choosing foods. Just making a case for the people who want to keep it simple and just lift weights. Nutritional science is not for everyone.

Last edited by Kleurplaay; 06-08-2013 at 02:19 PM.
Kleurplaay is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-08-2013, 02:20 PM   #15
Soldier
Soldier
is judging you.
Max Brawn
Points: 13,948, Level: 76 Points: 13,948, Level: 76 Points: 13,948, Level: 76
Activity: 41% Activity: 41% Activity: 41%

Training Exp: On and off for 15 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Doubtful
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Meh, even if there's a chance that it'll mess with my testosterone levels I don't like to mess with it. No soy for me.
Goals-
Win.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-08-2013, 02:41 PM   #16
SecondsOut
SecondsOut
posted a post in this thread. He did posting to you.
Max Brawn
Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

Fav Supp: Oxidane
My Mood: Lurking
SecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleurplaay View Post
What I mean to say is that these studies (the best studies we have on how much protein is required) only measured protein eaten and did not take into account absorbability or protein quality, yet they found that a certain point more protein is no longer better.
yes, you already said this. you don't understand the point i made before if you're repeating this.

Quote:
most people consume plenty even after taking into account the 'loss' (if you will call it that) of protein due to low PDCAA scores.
i don't believe this is necessarily the case.

Quote:
Nutritional science is not for everyone.
again, you pretty much said this already. and again, a list of protein sources that shows the most efficient sources is hardly "nutritional science." it doesn't require much thought or effort to just look at a brief list of foods.
by the way, you're the one who keeps referring to "most studies" and "90% of studies" while criticizing a protein chart as too scientific lol
SecondsOut is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-08-2013, 02:47 PM   #17
Kleurplaay
Kleurplaay
is growing stronger!
Uber Brawn
Points: 2,310, Level: 29 Points: 2,310, Level: 29 Points: 2,310, Level: 29
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: dat dere eggs
My Mood: Cheeky
Kleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
by the way, you're the one who keeps referring to "most studies" and "90% of studies" while criticizing a protein chart as too scientific lol
Obviously I mean too scientific for people who don't like to get into the science of it. I'm not trying to get into an argument, just my two cents.
Kleurplaay is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook