Uber Brawn
Points: 1,018, Level: 17 Points: 1,018, Level: 17 Points: 1,018, Level: 17
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Training Exp: 9 years
Training Type: Other
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Dymatize Elite Whey
My Mood: Cheerful
1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor
Arrow 2013: Stronger

Hi everyone,

I'm starting a log out here.

I'm not allowed to post links as yet but I have my YouTube channel in my sig and I post a video with every workout for the most part.

I'm not a powerlifter or a bodybuilder or a powerbuilder or anything fancy.

I love Deadlifts, I am a Deadlift only guy and my training is pretty unorthodox in that I am not doing somebody else's program.

I'll put some info on me in a bit.

My YouTube Channel
1Strength is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2013, 03:37 AM   #2
1Strength
1Strength
Bodybuilding day
Deadlift Only Dude
Uber Brawn

1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor

I started training under Eric Troy of Ground of Strength in 2008 and I've been doing Maximal Strength Training ever since.

I'm a Deadlift only guy.

If you like, you can go over the GUS webpage and check out what Maximal Strength Training is about..

I got injured in January this year (2013) when I foam rolled my lower back and destroyed some muscle tissue. I made a grave mistake by doing this and it was something I wasn't supposed to do - but I did it anyway because I was experiencing a lot of tightness in my lower back due to Krav Maga (the kicks) so I thought foam rolling my lower back would help alleviate the pain. Bad idea, now I know!

So anyway, I'm getting back into it.

My YouTube Channel

Share with Facebook
Old 06-05-2013, 03:42 AM   #3
1Strength
1Strength
Bodybuilding day
Deadlift Only Dude
Uber Brawn

My training right now goes like this:

Day 1 = DL

Day 2 = Pull-ups & Squat Variation

Day 3 = Deadlift / Squat Variation & Heavy Rows

Day 4 = Left Over stuff

That's just the template. In terms of exercise selection right now it goes:

Sunday: DEADLIFTS

Deadlifts - working back up to 500+ like before... Progression is whatever Eric decides it's supposed to be. Right now it's a modification of Honeymoon Period because I work up from 135 to whatever using only 10 lbs increments and then at various weights (315, 355, 395 and now 425) I do about 10-15 sets of 3 reps. Yes, it's VERY high volume and an higher workload. But this is how one gets back on the saddle safely and securely.

Monday: PULL-UPS & STEP-UPS

Weighted Pull-ups - lots of heavy singles doubles triples and volume work as well. Approximately 10 sets in total.

Step-Ups - This is the Squat Variation at the moment. I'm using SDT Progression with a base of 35 x 5 x 5.

Wednesday: ROWS & RACK DEADLIFTS

Rows - Heavy Dumbbell Rows (one arm) using SDT Progression with a base of 100 x 5 x 5

Rack Deadlifts - I'm just getting back into this. I can't decide right now whether it's gonna stay or go because today is the first workout of this Mesocycle so we shall see how it goes before making an assessment.

Thursday: LEFT OVER

Today's the day I do some pressing, overhead work, some overhead squats, etc etc... It's not specific.

My YouTube Channel

Share with Facebook
Old 06-05-2013, 03:48 AM   #4
1Strength
1Strength
Bodybuilding day
Deadlift Only Dude
Uber Brawn

I'm gonna go ahead and post the workouts of this week...

My YouTube Channel

Share with Facebook
Old 06-05-2013, 03:49 AM   #5
1Strength
1Strength
Bodybuilding day
Deadlift Only Dude
Uber Brawn

DEADLIFT Training - Mesocycle 58 Week 1

Got my sleep in and tried to be prepared for the long workout. It went well, thankfully. Having Kanishk and Dipen training with me was great!

Dynamic Warm-ups & Mobility Drills:
Cat Camel
Bird Dog
Ankle Mobility
X Band Walks
Overhead Squats

Deadlifts Honeymoon Period:
45 x 5
135 x 3
145 x 1
155 x 1
165 x 1
175 x 1
185 x 3
195 x 1
205 x 1
215 x 1
225 x 3
235 x 2
245 x 1
255 x 1
265 x 1
275 x 2
285 x 1
295 x 2
305 x 1
315 x 2
325 x 1
335 x 1
345 x 1
355 x 2
365 x 1
375 x 1
385 x 1
395 x 1
405 x 1
415 x 1

Deadlifts Honeymoon Period Modification @ 425:
425 x 3 x 8
Great work!

Video:

My YouTube Channel

Last edited by 1Strength; 06-05-2013 at 03:54 AM.

Share with Facebook
Old 06-05-2013, 03:54 AM   #6
1Strength
1Strength
Bodybuilding day
Deadlift Only Dude
Uber Brawn

WEIGHTED PULL-UP & STEP-UPS - Mesocycle 58 Week 1

Monday night…

Weighted Pull-ups:
+70 x 2
+45 x 5
+70 x 2
+45 x 4
+70 x 2
+45 x 4
+80 x 1
+45 x 1 + 1
BW x 10
BW x 10
Crazy stuff!

Step-Ups:
35 x 9 x 5
SP = R
SDT Progression

Video:

My YouTube Channel

Share with Facebook
Old 06-05-2013, 04:04 PM   #7
1Strength
1Strength
Bodybuilding day
Deadlift Only Dude
Uber Brawn

ROWS & RACK DEADLIFTS Training - Mesocycle 58 Week 1

Wednesday night… I was initially gonna do Rack Deadlifts followed by Dumbbell Rows but I decided to switch the order. I figured that the work I had to do for Rows was cut out for me: SDT Progression. Rack Deadlifts was a new variable with the injury and what not and I didn't want to push it. So I figured I'd get what I absolutely HAD to get done today - the Rows: first and then I would do the Rack DL. That way, on the off chance that I felt very uncomfortable on Rack DL I would have time to experiment or call it a day with no problems to rows in terms of time.

Dynamic Warm-ups & Mobility Drills:
IT / IF Stretch
Ankle Mobility
Butt Kicks
Knee to Chest
Overhead Squats

Dumbbell Rows:
100 x 9 x 5
140 x 4 x 2
SP = R
SDT

I think the time to go back to the Base with a new weight might be upon me. This is pretty high volume here… 50+ reps.

Rack Deadlifts:
45 x 5
135 x 5
155 x 3
185 x 3
195 x 3
225 x 4
245 x 2
255 x 2
275 x 2 x 2
285 x 1
315 x 3
335 x 2
365 x 2 x 3
405 x 3

This was great. It felt wonderful. I did this little technique thing which I wanted to write about: while lowering the bar back to the pins, I stopped about an inch (or a few centimeters - I wasn't measuring the distance but the point is to stop BEFORE the bar hits the pins) above the pins and I just hold it there for a second before lowering it. This allows that quality control where I'm not just dropping the bar. I even managed to hold this on the last rep of 405…. It was a great start. I reeled myself back in and kept it very conservative.

Video:

My YouTube Channel

Share with Facebook
Old 06-06-2013, 03:27 AM   #8
1Strength
1Strength
Bodybuilding day
Deadlift Only Dude
Uber Brawn

Eric posted something on FB the other day that really stuck with me..

Engaging the Lats for Deadlifts by Eric Troy of Ground Up Strength

I got a message with a question about something I didn't say in my general deadlift technique article. I love this kind of question for two reasons: It is just the kind of thing I like to answer because I welcome the chance to defend my decisions, or to own up to my mistakes. And, it was an actual question, not a disguised challenge. How refreshing!

Anyway, a frequent cue in deadlifting is to "engage the lats." You'll find this to a frequent cue, period. The lats have almost mythical power in strength training. We're also told to engage out lats during the bench press.

The reason for this instruction is that engaging the lats helps to stabilize the torso because the latissimus dorsi is an important muscle in spine stabilization. Some would call it an essential muscle.

The first thing to point out is that a strong latissimus dorsi will perform this role without you actively "engaging it." Engaging the lats is a useful cue in the deadlift, but it is not an essential one. Do I recommend it? Yes. I would recommend it to you if you asked me privately but then I would give you some caveats.

Those caveats are why I decided to leave this instruction out of my general instruction. The problem is that a lifter of any level might read my article, including lifters who are already hoisting a lot of weight. Most people either don't know, or will not bother with the fact that we should always bring down the weight when working in a new technique or tweak.

In that past, when I've told more advanced people to "engage their lats" I've had some instances of discomfort around the rear deltoid and even of the deltoid in general, including some trouble with everyday reaching activities. Also this pain or discomfort would extend to the general posterior underarm area. For these lifters, when I told them to stop engaging the lats, waited a while, and then worked in the cue with an appropriate weight reduction over the course of a few weeks, the problem "went away."

What I figured is that suddenly tensioning the lats, and also the teres major (which may the real culprit here) during heavy deadlifts, when unaccustomed, puts a strain on one or both of these muscles (on the upper part of the lats) which results in this discomfort. It is ANECDOTAL. Absolutely. I can't prove it. However, given the less than essential position of actively engaging the lats for the deadlifts, I decided to leave this out of my "general" formula.

Why didn't I explain all this in the article? Because I am constantly being accused of writing about things nobody cares about! I figured I'd wait until asked

My YouTube Channel

Share with Facebook
Old 06-06-2013, 10:09 AM   #9
brad1224
brad1224
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 5,181, Level: 46 Points: 5,181, Level: 46 Points: 5,181, Level: 46
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Cake Of Chaos Champion!
brad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machine

along for the ride.

this is a dumb question but i foam roll my lower back all the time why is that bad? what does it actually do that increases chance of injury

***AAEFX REP***

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AllAmericanEFX
Twitter: @AllAmericanEFX
Instagram: @AAEFX

http://www.aaefx.com
brad1224 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-06-2013, 12:26 PM   #10
EliteDreams
EliteDreams
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn
Points: 12,233, Level: 72 Points: 12,233, Level: 72 Points: 12,233, Level: 72
Activity: 33% Activity: 33% Activity: 33%

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Steak
My Mood: Asleep
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!

Hey there, training looks great Ashiem. Subbed.

The gates of hell have been unlocked, headstones pushed aside!
EliteDreams is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook